General Chat

Stevo985

guess it should have gone in the boring thread  but  ,  was out last night ( sober as with the kids ) , came home , unlocked the doors and let us in 

this morning my door keys are nowhere to be seen , I've turned the house upside down looking for them , even looked in the washing machine and the freezer as I got an ice cream out , checked the bins , under the sofa everywhere  ..

We can't have got in the house without them  and Mrs H is away so I can't blame her ,  even allowing for my daughter inheriting my sense of mischief , I have to believe the kids  when they say they haven't seen them 

so , I'm at the point that I'm hoping one of the neighbours cats  decided to come in the house when I wasn't looking and  steal my keys .. cause the alternative is I'm at that point in life where I start looking at Dignitas on the internet 

Talking about kids, my 7 year old has just found Micheal Jackson on YouTube, watching him learn the dancing is classic.

Which got me thinking, whatever you think of him, MJ was a absolute genius of music. Those concerts ( ive been watching) he did were out of this world, to say you were there when he first did the moonwalk, I can't comprehend, what an entertainer, they'll never be anyone like him ever again. Unfortunately for us all we have now is Ed Sheran.

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, foreveryoung said:

Talking about kids, my 7 year old has just found Micheal Jackson on YouTube, watching him learn the dancing is classic.

Which got me thinking, whatever you think of him, MJ was a absolute genius of music. Those concerts ( ive been watching) he did were out of this world, to say you were there when he first did the moonwalk, I can't comprehend, what an entertainer, they'll never be anyone like him ever again. Unfortunately for us all we have now is Ed Sheran.

randomly , i saw a clip yesterday when MJ appeared on stage at some concert in South America  and thousands of people screamed ..and screamed ..and screamed some more 

he literally stood there for about 2 mins as grown adults , male and female screamed at him to a point of frenzy 

probably one for the things you don't get thread 

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, tonyh29 said:

randomly , i saw a clip yesterday when MJ appeared on stage at some concert in South America  and thousands of people screamed ..and screamed ..and screamed some more 

he literally stood there for about 2 mins as grown adults , male and female screamed at him to a point of frenzy 

probably one for the things you don't get thread 

The concerts were amazing, fans being taken out on stretchers too, fainting, hyperventilating. Different era I guess. When you watch one of the concerts, the one that sicks in my mind is when he sings 'another part of me'' the atmosphere looks out of this world. Wasnt all kids either which is unusual these days for a pop concert.

On 04/08/2022 at 10:19, villa4europe said:

yep, living in germany its opened my eyes to different cuts of pork, the UK seems so limited in comparison - conversely there's not much beef on offer, its fairly normal for a brauhaus style restaurant to have a pork steak option but no beef steak -  the village restaurant where the in laws live do medallions in a bearnaise sauce which is incredible, next time you're at the german market see if you can get hold of schwenker which is actually the name of the round hanging bbq grills that they use but they shorten schwenkbraten, will look something like this -

Go on Kenny, show us your diction!

• Haha 3

3 minutes ago, bickster said:

Nah, that was Quincy Jones

That’s a bit like those that think without George Martin the Beatles wouldn’t have made a decent record ( yes , yes I know you don’t need to say it :) )

Jones  helped , for sure , but the ability and talent had to have been there in the first instance  

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, tonyh29 said:

That’s a bit like those that think without George Martin the Beatles wouldn’t have made a decent record ( yes , yes I know you don’t need to say it :) )

Jones  helped , for sure , but the ability and talent had to have been there in the first instance  

Without looking it up, name any of the first four Jackson Album's before Off the Wall

Jackson, the songwriter, undoubtedly talented, Jackson the musician and arranger? Not so much

1 minute ago, bickster said:

Without looking it up, name any of the first four Jackson Album's before Off the Wall

Jackson, the songwriter, undoubtedly talented, Jackson the musician and arranger? Not so much

I doubt I could name 4 Jackson albums in total  tbf … I’m not really a fan , just think you have to acknowledge he had some talent 

8 minutes ago, tonyh29 said:

I doubt I could name 4 Jackson albums in total  tbf … I’m not really a fan , just think you have to acknowledge he had some talent 

Quincy Jones has far more and it's no coincidence that Jacksons three greatest albums (Off the Wall, Thriller and Bad), the three that made him a global superstar, were all produced and arranged by Quincy Jones

Jones even says that Jackson stole a lot of songs from elsewhere (He specifically named Donna Summers State of Independence for Billy Jean as one example)

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, bickster said:

Didn't know where to put this...

I went to Thorpe Park a few years ago. I stopped in a hotel in Ascot the night before. The drive to Thorpe Park had 3 cars at separate Islands on the journey that appeared to not know what you're supposed to do at an Island and looked like they had literally gone straight on at the Island. Not quite at that speed though. 

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, AlwaysAVFC said:

I went to Thorpe Park a few years ago. I stopped in a hotel in Ascot the night before. The drive to Thorpe Park had 3 cars at separate Islands on the journey that appeared to not know what you're supposed to do at an Island and looked like they had literally gone straight on at the Island. Not quite at that speed though. 

Having not lived in Brum for fifty years, I always have to remind myself that a Brummie roundabout is an 'island'. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

Having not lived in Brum for fifty years, I always have to remind myself that a Brummie roundabout is an 'island'. 

It had actually started to come out of my vocabulary, after living away from the Birmingham for a lot of the last 15 years. Having returned nearly 2 years ago, it's become normal saying it again.

22 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

To be fair if the **** idiot in that car had known it was called a roundabout he might have actually gone round about it instead of doing a poor impression of Chitty Chitty Bang Bang. 

Hmmmmm. Just found a contemporary newspaper report about the flying van and the guy who filmed it was from Norwich and described it as a roundabout. I suppose he could be a Brummie ex pat but the newspaper didn't change his words :detect:

Edit... The Independent newspaper reporting on the van drivers conviction also refer to it as a roundabout. 

It it just Northerners refusing to call things by their name?

Edited by sidcow

38 minutes ago, sidcow said:

Hmmmmm. Just found a contemporary newspaper report about the flying van and the guy who filmed it was from Norwich and described it as a roundabout. I suppose he could be a Brummie ex pat but the newspaper didn't change his words :detect:

Edit... The Independent newspaper reporting on the van drivers conviction also refer to it as a roundabout. 

It it just Northerners refusing to call things by their name?

They are called roundabouts here

Â