General Chat

Stevo985

Colourless green ideas sleep furiously.

Discuss.

You've lost me Mike?!?!

"Colorless green ideas sleep furiously" is a sentence composed by Noam Chomsky in 1957 as an example of a sentence with correct grammar (logical form) but semantics that are nonsensical. The sentence therefore has no understandable meaning. An example of a category mistake, it was used to show inadequacy of the then-popular probabilistic models of grammar, and the need for more structured models.

The full passage says:

“ 1.Colorless green ideas sleep furiously.

2.Furiously sleep ideas green colorless.

It is fair to assume that neither sentence (1) nor (2) (nor indeed any part of these sentences) has ever occurred in an English discourse. Hence, in any statistical model for grammaticalness, these sentences will be ruled out on identical grounds as equally "remote" from English. Yet (1), though nonsensical, is grammatical, while (2) is not grammatical.

Wikipedia

I have found a cure for low self-esteem: a walk around Bradford city centre and a look at the passers-by.

Guaranteed to make you feel better about yourself and your life.

:o:puke:

One of our main competitors have gone under today, meaning we have shed loads of work already, plus we are being phoned left right and centre from builders to finish of their work :D

Ive moved to take on a few of there lads to cope with the extra work, but i cant help feeling sorry for the poor **** who are left with no work and no income. :(

Had another pervert today. Its almost sad sometimes. However the rest of the day was pretty good. And getting ready for job numero dos un momento. Not a bad day at all though. YAAAAAAAAY!!!!!

Sorry, it was a simple misunderstanding :oops:

*laughs* Grinding the table while I work on the lower back and glutes is pretty clear to me. So is asking me to focus on your groin>>>typical code for a happy ending. Just saying.....

We didn't have a year 13 prom. I'm glad though, would of had to spend money and people would of gone town after and I ain't 18 yet.

Weird development in my life is that I have plans for the future and next year. Financially should be sorted for the year and 3 weekdays I will be doing nothing. Yay.

Â