General Chat

Stevo985

Had cold red wine recommended to me having always drank at room temp and its like my eyes have been opened and nothing makes sense anymore.

Sipping away on some chilled casillero del diablo devils collection. Bloody lovely.

I always keep red wine in the fridge for people that come around

I only do it to annoy the snobby wine drinkers ... Are you now telling me I've been enhancing it for them :(

I have no idea, I'm probably destroying the ancient secret distilling process and dismantling the deliciously delicate boutique but I couldn't give two **** as to my layman's taste buds its an improvement :)

IIRC from my Supermarket wine training....red wine is ideally served cool. Traditionally red wine was served "a chambre" ie room temperature, which pre central heating etc was significantly colder that what we would expect today. 

I have been to a do where some great knob wanted to serve his wine "a chambre" and put it in front of the fire. 

EDIT. Is this the most middle class post on VT. 

Edited by Eames

EDIT. Is this the most middle class post on VT. 

Not quite:

turned the hose pipe on Weds around 21:00  .. suddenly remembered last night whilst playing tennis that I'd not turned it off again

Where was all the water going?

I was topping up the swimming pool 

• Like 1

That's for a good job mind, by that I mean stripping off the old fascia and fitting eaves protectors, you can have I done for about £500 for a bit less quality

What about keeping the old fascias?

I don't even know what fascias are.

I googled it and "Which" said an average of £300 or something!

That's for a good job mind, by that I mean stripping off the old fascia and fitting eaves protectors, you can have I done for about £500 for a bit less quality

Think about how much it will cost to pay a couple of legit humans for a day (assuming it takes a day) and then how much plastic is involved. I don't think £300 is realistic myself, I think Which are living in La La land with that and I know **** all about guttering too.

Fascia I the boarding that the gutter is attached to. Its mainly plastic now, timber needs painting every few years, plastic will last for decades without deteriorating

Really needed to poop earlier so went to the toilet and went past a colleague on the way in.  Cut a long story short, I was in there for about 15 minutes.  As I came out I saw the same guy again walk past and give me a real awkward look.  Second week in and I'm already going to be known as the 15 minute man.

• Like 1

Think about how much it will cost to pay a couple of legit humans for a day (assuming it takes a day) and then how much plastic is involved. I don't think £300 is realistic myself, I think Which are living in La La land with that and I know **** all about guttering too.

The guttering itself isn't that much. 4 metres for £9 (white square) at Wickes. I'm sure the trade can get it for less.

Plus a few brackets and joins etc of course. But I can't imagine it'd be much more than £100 (although I hadn't accounted for fascias)

Labour on top. Would it take a full day? I genuinely have no idea.

But I'll happily admit to knowing absolute jack shit about it so I could be miles out on everything.

The other thing to look at is, its s job ideally that needs scaffolding for safety, that alone will set you back £400, doing it off a ladder is dangerous but some will do it without batting an eyelid

The guttering itself isn't that much. 4 metres for £9 (white square) at Wickes. I'm sure the trade can get it for less.

Plus a few brackets and joins etc of course. But I can't imagine it'd be much more than £100 (although I hadn't accounted for fascias)

Labour on top. Would it take a full day? I genuinely have no idea.

But I'll happily admit to knowing absolute jack shit about it so I could be miles out on everything.

Say it's £100 for materials. Then you've two guys for a day, call that £300 on top. And then if it's a proper firm you're getting in they'll have overheads and might even want to make a profit themselves.

I wouldn't send two guys out for a whole day for less than £690 plus VAT, so more like £820 to yourself. I'd also charge profit on materials, I'm the one with the trade account not the client ;)

Small business has to win sometimes or we're proper ****.

Edited by dont_do_it_doug.
  • Like 1

How much does new guttering cost?

Say for a small 3 bed semi?

We just did ours (me and my Dad) with the neighbours and the parts cost £550. Charged her for the parts so in effect it was free. We got quoted at £2300 by roofers to do it for us.

Do you live in Sheldon btw, I delivered to a Ben Stephenson today :lol: 

How much does new guttering cost?

Say for a small 3 bed semi?

We just did ours (me and my Dad) with the neighbours and the parts cost £550. Charged her for the parts so in effect it was free. We got quoted at £2300 by roofers to do it for us.

Do you live in Sheldon btw, I delivered to a Ben Stephenson today :lol:

Yes I do. That's scary... Are you a postie?

IIRC from my Supermarket wine training....red wine is ideally served cool. Traditionally red wine was served "a chambre" ie room temperature, which pre central heating etc was significantly colder that what we would expect today.

I suppose it depends what temperature you (try and) keep your house.

Room temp in mine is round about 14-16°C which sounds about ideal for a decent red. I think one could get away with serving a Pinot Noir at a lower temperature than that.

So if the room temp is above that then yes pop it in the fridge for a short while to cool it down, but keep it in there and serve it from there? Sounds like madness to me.

I thoroughly agree about the pillock who stuck the wine in front of the fire.

I suppose the most important thing is to enjoy whatever you're drinking and if you get pleasure from it at 4°C then fair enough - just don't serve it to me. :)

Â