Spurs - Arry's gone but we still dislike them...

Jondaken

• Replies 7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think you're focusing on the fact you have some very good creative players and perhaps not paying enough attention to the fact that overall the team isn't particuarly creative.

Actually no, what we are focussing upon is the fact we've signed a very good goal scorer. Period. What you and your Spurs support pal seem to be focusing on is anything you can that will support your pre-determined opinion.

One minute its this stat then its another and frankly is all rather boring, you aren't discussing, your aren't debating you are preaching. Your mind is made up, fine you are entitled to your opinion but so are others without having you preaching and giving this or that stat which you claim proves your view to be the definitive truth.

Do you not think we know the strengths and weaknesses of our own team which we spend a great deal more time watching? We aren't focussing on the creativity of these players simply demonstrating yet again the 'stats' you quote to prove your view point are like most stats subjective and easy to be adapted to whatever point you are trying to prove.

You're looking at the likes of Albrighton, Young and Downing and suggesting that they will give Bent better service than he's had before adn I can see the logic there. But they are just 3 players. But do these 3 players make up for the lack of creativity in the rest of the side?

What on earth are you blathering on about???? How many creative players do you have to have before you can be deemed to be able to create chances? You have no point at all. You raised the issue of chances created and I like many people think we have better players than Sunderland when it comes to creating chances. Period. End of point.

We aren't saying we have the most creative team in the world or anything close but more creative than Sunderland? Yes I would say so.

I don't think so and though you'll raise quesrtions over their worth, the stats don't suggest it either. And this is one the reasons I'm critical of the Bent deal. As Bent himself does not really add much in that area either.

Ah the stats, the stats, the stats, the stats. I think we've already covered that and shown that a) stats can be made to show anything and B) stats for 'chances' are more than just a little subjective.

If you look at the league leaders, they have attacking full backs, and strikers who create as much as the wide players.

Really. How interesting.

I don't think Bent will score at a higher rate than he did at Sunderland and I don't think spending the money on him is the answer to getting you challenging for a top 4 spot.

We will see. No one player we could sign would be though so that is a bit of a meaningless point.

I think Bent will score around 6 goals for you from open play this season. Walker might add important impetus going forward, but I think depsite having 3 very good creative players, this still doesn't mean that overall you'll create more chances than the likes of Sunderland.

Well its one down in one game so far. As for the 'chances' stat I can't even be bothered.

Only 4 of your players have created a double figured amount of chances this season, whcilst Sunderland have 10. So there is a suggestion that their creativity is spread more throughout the team.

Because that is what you want it to suggest, I've already explained to you that there is a very different way of viewing that which you have ignored.

So I can see why you'd assume he'll get more chances at Villa, as at first glance you look at their squad and then see the likes of Downing and Young in yours and it does seem the better creative players are at Villa. But overall there is a little between the sides on that front.

If you say so.

A-****-men Trent!

I thought joey was a good poster, but like most Spurs fans it's becoming a bit of a 'Spurs do no wrong' thing with him. Amazing how he's trying to criticise Bent the way he is.

Talking of strikers, another absoloute stinker from Defoe at the weekend, he need to get back to his hit and hope rather than trying to place his shots.

FFS, give me break here.

When in all of this have I said Spurs do no wrong. I'm not talking about Spurs and if you read what i've said about our strikers in this thread, you'll see I don't rate them. I've already highlighted that I've posted on this forum that i think you all over rate Bent 6 motnhs ago. So why do you have to take it as an attack on Villa? I'm criticising Bent in the same way I on this forum way before he was a Villa player and you weren't all up in arms about it then. Just because you've signed him doesn't mean I have to change my mind about him. And I haven't actually really been very critical of him, but pointed out why I don't think it's a good deal for you and shown how his goal scoring stats aren't as impressive as seems at first glance.

To sum up my point, I'm simply illustrating that Bents scoring record is good because of the amount of time he's spent on the pitch. That's the advantage of playing for smaller clubs. At Charlton and Sunderland he was the main man, so played all the time and took the penalties. At Spurs he was a huge disappointment and it's suggested his form wasn't as good as at Charlton. But if you actually factor in that he took the pens at Charlton, and check his goal scoring rate from open play at Spurs, it was actually better than when he was at Charlton. But regardless he was still a poor signing at Spurs, as he just wasn't a good enough player. And if Villa want to challenge for the CL I don't think he is good enough. But I don't see what me being a Spurs fan has to do with anything. I offered my opinion having seen a hell of a lot more of him than I suspect virtually any poster here. Just because it's different to yours I don't think warrants personal critcism.

It's so difficult to post on this forum. Every gets turned into a Spurs Vs Villa thing. No one actually ever seems to want to discuss the points raised, they just seem to want to be hostile.

It's so difficult to post on this forum. Every gets turned into a Spurs Vs Villa thing. No one actually ever seems to want to discuss the points raised, they just seem to want to be hostile.

This is a thread about Spurs.

Anything posted in it can safely be assumed to be about Spurs.

You say Bent was a huge disappointment and can't get a team into the CL, yet you have 4 inferior strikers and made the CL. That arguement is a bit flawed, just saying. Unless you think one of your current strikers is better than Bent?

The man scores goals, not only that, but he scores against the top clubs fairly often - 1-in-1 already at Villa. We know he's no Rooney or Drogba, but his record is somewhat comparable. The minutes extra he's played is evened out a bit by the clubs he's played for in comparison.

Anyways, enough of Bent. With a fully fit squad who would you start/think Harry would start? Interesting to see him put Bale at LB to get Pienaar in the side. Was BAE injured or was it just a case of him trying to fit Pienaar in?

GIOVANNI TRAPATTONI has warned Robbie Keane that he could lose his place in the Ireland team if he doesn't find a new club before the close of the transfer window.

The Ireland manager says he will consider other options for March's Euro 2012 qualifier with Macedonia if his skipper stays at Spurs and is short of match practice.

He indicated that he expects the 30-year-old to move clubs in the next seven days and added that he told the Dubliner that a move to Major League Soccer in America or a step down to the Championship would be preferable to his current situation.

Keane is the subject of interest from a host of Premier League clubs but has denied that personal demands ruled him out of a switch to Birmingham City.

Trapattoni acknowledged it would be a big move to drop his captain, but he cannot afford to enter important games with a ring-rusty front man.

"I have said it is important to him that he goes and plays," said Trapattoni. "If he stays two months on the bench without a game, we have also (Kevin) Doyle, we have (Shane) Long. Anthony Stokes and Leon Best score goals.

"We have this situation, but I hope he tries a new team. If Robbie does not find a new team, we can try other options after.

"I spoke with him, when he could go to America (he was linked to Canadian-based MLS side, Vancouver Whitecaps), and I said, 'you go.' He said to me also, 'Maybe I go to Birmingham, the first I go to is Aston Villa.'

"We need him to play games. We have options but it's important that we do not put too much pressure on the shoulders of young players. That is dangerous."

Trapattoni was in Dublin to name his 29-man squad for the February 8 clash with Wales which kicks off the new Carling Nations Cup. He intends to start Keane in that game with a view to improving his confidence.

The 71-year-old also stated that he felt "101pc" after his recent carotid surgery and apologised that people in Ireland learned of his health issues second hand from reports in the Italian media.

However, Trapattoni confirmed that he had told FAI chief executive John Delaney beforehand.

- Daniel McDonnell

Irish Independent

http://tinyurl.com/6an4s27

"The first I go is Aston Villa".. I bet he was bang on to come under MON, it was him and mcgeady we was always linked with, thank god it never happened.

The stats are lies no doubt, or those long passes are incredible through balls from Bale where he sits down with a cup of tea and pokes them through onto a pre drawn spot.

Or

They angle long balls to Crouch to knock down to others in the most predictable thing in football since god knows when.

HOOOOOF > Crouch > Knockdown

Right next attack

HOOOOOOF > Crouch - knock down

lets try and be diverse!

Hoooooof > Crouch - controlled on chest

Spurs undoubtedly play a long ball game, although they don't make the game very boring. 'Long ball' games get a lot of unfair criticism IMO.

People associate it with Bolton under Big Sam or Wimbledon. Long ball is very boring when teams don't really have any intention of winning the game, just to not lose and they lump it up the front to get rid and look for a hopeful knockdown.

Tottenham lump it up to Crouch but have many players around him to support him.

Villa used to play quite a bit of long ball football and at times I thought it was very exciting to watch.

The top two Premier League goalscorers:

Alan Shearer: Played 441, Goals 260, ratio: 0.58

Andy Cole: Played 414, Goals 189, ratio: 0.45

Alan Shearer is a lot better than Andy Cole isnt he? He has 71 more goals in just 27 more games. But hang on, penalties dont count do they?

Alan Shearer: Played 441, Goals (not including penalties) 202, ratio: 0.45

Andy Cole: played 414, Goals (not including penalties) 188, ratio: 0.45

Given that Cole was used as a substitute a lot more than Shearer was, we could argue that Shearer wasnt worth the money because Andy Cole scored more goals per minute if we dont count spot kicks.

Seriously, its all bollocks. You can argue any old shit with statistics, but the fact is Darren Bent is a 20+ goal a season striker in his mid twenties. We paid the going rate for him.

We paid the going rate plus the fact that we prised their top scorer and possibly best player from them to immediately become our own possibly best player and striker instead and leaving them in the shit. Some compensation definitely needed for that but oh wait, we're disgraceful and disrespectful aren't we?

Against Man City he didn't have a shit game. How could he if he did his job by scoring the winner? He just couldn't do a lot as it was pretty much a game of our defence, which also did its job, thats all. Good team win, job well done.

Â