Spurs - Arry's gone but we still dislike them...

Jondaken

David Bentley, Darren Bent, Illie Dumitrescu the list is endless my Spud friend.

I certainly wouldn't class Bent or Bentley as fantastic before they went to spurs

Bentley played out of his skin in his last season at Blackburn and made the England team (not squad). Bent scored over 20 goals in his last season for a Charlton team that got relegated.

Spurs didn't make these players look bad, they just weren't good enough. Bents goals per minute at Spurs was the same as at Charlton. He just wasn't as good as Keane or Berbatov. Bentley isn't as good as Lennon, it's as simple as that. When you play with players of lesser quality, you stand out. Bentley didn't make it at Arsenal either. For every Bent or Bentley, who didn't thrive, there are the likes of Lennon, Modric, Bale, Berbatov and Carrick, that did. We've just bought so many players in the last 7 years, since we restructured the club leading upto and on the back of the last share issue, that there are bound to be some transfers that don't work out.

• Replies 7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Bent couldn't play the Spurs way. He was the wrong player for them. Square peg, round hole. We know all about that here. Spurs are too technical for him. He needs to be chasing after balls that are coming over his shoulder (fnarr fnarr). Not dinking around with triangles outside the 18yd box. He was right to move on and Spurs were right to sell him. I just wish we'd bought him cuz he'd have fitted right in with our style of play.

Bent couldn't play the Spurs way. He was the wrong player for them. Square peg, round hole. We know all about that here. Spurs are too technical for him. He needs to be chasing after balls that are coming over his shoulder (fnarr fnarr). Not dinking around with triangles outside the 18yd box. He was right to move on and Spurs were right to sell him. I just wish we'd bought him cuz he'd have fitted right in with our style of play.

Good post

Bent is a far far far more prolific striker than Jermaie Defoe, and he was your best after Berbatov's exit.

Actually, even with the good season Bent had last season for Sunderland, his Premier League minutes played to goal ratio was the same as Jermain Defoe's. Bent scored many penalties, Defoe scored most of his goals in first half of the season.

Darren Bent

Bent was just out of his depth at Spurs, simple as that. Spurs didn't make him a bad player, it just highlighted his limitations.

Please tell me you're taking the piss. Darren Bent has been a consistently excellent performer for everyone but Spuds. 18 league goals for Charlton in their relegation season and 24 league goals for Sunderland last term proves that comprehensively.

C4rvillan is bang on the **** money here.

Bent is a far far far more prolific striker than Jermaie Defoe, and he was your best after Berbatov's exit.

Actually, even with the good season Bent had last season for Sunderland, his Premier League minutes played to goal ratio was the same as Jermain Defoe's. Bent scored many penalties, Defoe scored most of his goals in first half of the season.

I bet Bent scored a helluva lot more important goals last season than Defoe though. All the winners in narrow victories and equalisers in the last minute as opposed to Defoe's 3rd, 4th and 5th against Wigan, or his 3rd against Hull, then taking a 6 week hiatus from scoring but it going unnoticed because his tally is so high.

or every Bent or Bentley, who didn't thrive, there are the likes of Lennon, Modric, Bale, Berbatov and Carrick, that didt.

Bale has been there about three years and was dreadfully shit until a few months ago. Reminds me of Steven Davis. Brilliant when in form but the form is unpredictable. Be prepared for his performances to drop off soon.

or every Bent or Bentley, who didn't thrive, there are the likes of Lennon, Modric, Bale, Berbatov and Carrick, that didt.

Bale has been there about three years and was dreadfully shit until a few months ago. Reminds me of Steven Davis. Brilliant when in form but the form is unpredictable. Be prepared for his performances to drop off soon.

Its more to do with him being shit at leftback, since his move to the wing there is no denying that he has been consistently class since moving there

That's just not at all true. He was brilliant in his first season, but got injured. He then started his second season well, but again got injured. When he came back BAE and Modric were very much established as first choice on the left side.

And his current form isn't only a few months old either. Last season yahoo took the average ratings given by each newspaper for each game in the Prem and Bale was first. That's ahead of Drogba, Malouda and Rooney. So he's been on top form for close to a year.

That's just not at all true. He was brilliant in his first season, but got injured. He then started his second season well, but again got injured. When he came back BAE and Modric were very much established as first choice on the left side.

And his current form isn't only a few months old either. Last season yahoo took the average ratings given by each newspaper for each game in the Prem and Bale was first. That's ahead of Drogba, Malouda and Rooney. So he's been on top form for close to a year.

Funny though, the Spuds fans I know said he was absolute shit until a few months ago.

It's odd that you should compare him to Rooney as well. Rooney has been nothing short of dreadful for the last seven months.

Spurs arnt Bracelona and Crouch has zero technical ability and neither does Defoe for that matter i fail to see how Bent couldnt play this 'apparant technical spurs way' It just didnt work out for him in general.

Good post

But at least Bent scored his penalties. I seem to remember Defoe go on a streak of missing about 3 penalties in a row I think.

Just face it, Bent is a lot better than any of your strikers. I'd certainly have Bent over any Spurs strikers at Villa if given the choice.

And let's remember that Defoe plays for Spurs who create a lot of chances with players like Crouch, Lennon, Bale and Modric setting chances up for Defoe and Bent plays for Sunderland who don't really create a lot with players like Richardson, Zenden and Cattermole setting chances up for Bent, a huge difference really.

It just didn't work out for Bent at Spurs, you could say the same thing about Peter Crouch at Villa, he was shit at Villa but relatively good everywhere else. Although I still think he's shit, he was even shitter at Villa.

The thing with Bent is that he's rated on his goal totals and not his overall performance. He isnt any better at Sunderland than he was at Spurs or Charlton. The difference he's played more than when he was at Spurs and he takes all the penalties. More mintues on the pitch and taking spot kicks can make any striker look better based on stats. If you take away penalties and judge him on minutes per goal, it might shock many to realise he's actually less prolific at Sunderland than at Spurs.

Minutes per goal at Charlton 239, at Spurs 194 and at Sunderland 195. He really was pretty decent at Spurs, but just not as good as Keane, Berbatov or Defoe. He's highly rated on here as Villa had a chance to sign him and didn't, so every time he scores it's met with an element of frustration at what could have been. But you really didn't miss out on anything special. Gabby can be every bit as good as Bent. I'd go as far as to say Bent isn't good enough for Villa if you seriously want to challenge for a CL spot. He's judged purely on stats and those are biased because he takes penalties and plays every week. But if he was playing for you and thus you were all watching him every week, I think his reputation would decline fairly rapidly amongst Villa fans.

I actually like Bent, think he's better or at least just as good as Defoe in my opinion.

I also think Gabby is just as good as both players. Well Bent/Defoe are similar while Gabby is more of a team striker (nothing against the other two as they score more goals)....

I agree though, I don't think his overall game is that good and isn't as good as he's made it to be on here by some (SCG...)

Â