Spurs - Arry's gone but we still dislike them...

Jondaken

• Replies 7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Assou-Ekotto for me is like Rio Ferdinand. The vast majority of the time is a very solid, capable and composed defender who doesn't need to dive into tackles to win the ball. Like Ferdinand. He was one of the best players on the pitch against Man City and Stoke and was pretty great in the home leg against Young Boys too.

But he does have a tendency to make unbelievably stupid errors in dangerous places, probably as a result of being too composed, crossing over to casual. Like Ferdinand.

Singling him out against Young Boys is a little harsh because the whole team was dreadful in that half. He was only brought off so that Huddlestone could come on and with Bale dropping back and Modric moving left, the team still kept some balance.

Wigan, however, he was dreadful. It was almost like he was so bored that the only way to entertain himself was to see how badly he could screw up without his team actually conceding a goal.

Thankfully those kinds of performances are few and far between or, yeah, he'd have to be replaced.

TBF Glaston did say 'arguably' world-class. Presumably only argued by fans who are clinging to a piss-poor transfer window given the absolute golden opportunity to cement their place among the elite ...

It's hard to take such nonsense seriously.

Just signing VdV alone is a major coup for Spurs by any standards. And as an earlier poster said, had Villa signed him VT would be exploding with delight right now.

Are you even aware of VdV's track record as a player? Lampard is rightly considered to be prolific goal-scorer for a midfielder, with a career total of scoring in 29% of appearances: VdV's equivalent percentage is 37%.

I said VdV is arguably world-class and I stand absolutely by that. Your ignorance is breath-taking.

37% is hard to believe. Considering 37% of 327 career games is 121. He has scored 120.

Also, that's not taking into consideration the games he has scored two goals in...or three.....

He also has played in Dutch league....

TBF Glaston did say 'arguably' world-class. Presumably only argued by fans who are clinging to a piss-poor transfer window given the absolute golden opportunity to cement their place among the elite ...

It's hard to take such nonsense seriously.

Which part of what you very selectively quoted is 'nonsense'? Do you think Spurs have blown their competition out of the water in this transfer window in the manner they could have? Absolutely not. Dress it up as delusionally as you want to. The fact is VDV is a last-gasp panic signing for a position you didn't even nearly need to fill. And you add him to the 3 backups that I mention. Sandro is 2nd choice to Palacios. Pletikosa is at best 2nd choice to Gomes. Gallas is 2nd string behind King & Dawson. You badly needed a striker so you bought a midfielder. Take a bow Harry. A like for like to Modric and to a lesser extent Kranjcar, so you bought a backup for Modric.

Your transfer window was a failure given that not only did you not strengthen a key position but you failed at a time when all of your major rivals were failing miserably for their own reasons. You missed a trick; an opportunity. But you keep telling yourself it was a success :)

Just signing VdV alone is a major coup for Spurs by any standards. And as an earlier poster said, had Villa signed him VT would be exploding with delight right now.
We're not in the Champions League so yes it would have exploded on here. You are in it and you panic bought a player you didn't need while failing to buy in a position you did need. That's why we're laughing at you. Do you get it? Really?

Are you even aware of VdV's track record as a player? Lampard is rightly considered to be prolific goal-scorer for a midfielder, with a career total of scoring in 29% of appearances: VdV's equivalent percentage is 37%.
Lies, damn lies and statistics. Remove his Dutch career and concentrate on the big leagues. His percentage falls below Lampard. He also 'managed' to score less than 1 in 5 playing for Real Madrid. Bravo, Rafa, bravo.

I said VdV is arguably world-class and I stand absolutely by that. Your ignorance is breath-taking.
Of course you stand by it. I expect nothing less from you to have your mind absolutely and totally made up in a way that is 100% supportive of whatever Harry has done. And I apologise if you're hard of breathing after reading my initial response. All that negativity directed at Spurs must have been quite the shock.

As he read that (fantastic by the way) reply from BOF, all that will happen is his eyes will glaze over as he realises it doesn't agree with what he believes, so isn't true and isn't happening.

And then we'll get a 2 page long dissertation on why Spurs are the bestest.

Which part of what you very selectively quoted is 'nonsense'? ...

All of it, including the non-quoted part.

Anyone with a grain of sense could see that signing VdV for 8m does not equate to a "piss poor window". He is a fantastic player, and if you aren't aware of that then it speaks volumes about your knowledge of football.

If you want the real definition of a piss poor window this summer it's this: losing your manager, losing your best player and replacing him with a mentally fragile lightweight. I've read various posts from VTers who are desperarately trying to convince themselves that Ireland will turn out to be great for you, but I think the truth is already starting to dawn on some ... and that's why City were so eager to swap him for Milner and give you 16m on top.

... The fact is VDV is a last-gasp panic signing for a position you didn't even nearly need to fill. And you add him to the 3 backups that I mention. ... A like for like to Modric and to a lesser extent Kranjcar, so you bought a backup for Modric. ..

Last minute signing yes, panic signing no: you don't turn down the chance to sign someone like VdV. Levy saw the chance and took it.

The notion that VdV has been signed as "backup" for Modric is laughable: your knowledge of VdV is a joke tbh. Both players will be regular starters if fit - either as part of a 5-man midfield in a 4-5-1 formation, or else, in a 4-4-2, with Bale at LB, Modric in LM, Lennon in RW, VdV in central attacking midfield and one of Huddlestone, Palacios or Sandro sitting behind them. VdV can also play as 2nd striker in a 4-4-2.

Lies, damn lies and statistics. Remove his Dutch career and concentrate on the big leagues. His percentage falls below Lampard. He also 'managed' to score less than 1 in 5 playing for Real Madrid. Bravo, Rafa, bravo.

Why remove his Dutch career with Ajax? It seems that you're the one wishing to manipulate the stats, by selecting those that suit you and deleting those that don't. And we haven't even begun to look at his assists. I'm starting to wonder how many times you've actually seen VdV play.

Keep going, any time soon now you'll manage to convince yourself that VdV is a just a mediocre hack.

All that negativity directed at Spurs must have been quite the shock.

Not at all. This thread of full of it: most of it deluded, innacurate nonsense. I only have to cast my eye back over the last few months to read multiple claims that Spurs had no chance of 4th, no chance of making the CL group stages and no chance of getting improved shirt sponsor deals.

in a 4-4-2, with Bale at LB, Modric in LM, Lennon in RW, VdV in central attacking midfield and one of Huddlestone, Palacios or Sandro sitting behind them. VdV can also play as 2nd striker in a 4-4-2.

Why on Earth would any manager field that? Bale is a disasterous LB, as shown by his comical 2nd half at the weekend.

Modric, Lennon and vdV in the same midfield? And I think Villa's midfield is lightweight at times! It's also to easy to just nullify your width and smash you on the counter.

Not at all. This thread of full of it: most of it deluded, innacurate nonsense.

No offense Glaston, but you criticise BOF for picking and choosing regarding Rafa's stats (not wanting to count his Dutch League career), yet you basically said half of Villa's trophy count do not count when comparing us with you. You can't have it both ways.

I agree with you regarding van der Vaart, he can be a quality player, but you've come up with some shit in the past, like the Villa vs Spurs arguement.

Anyone with a grain of sense could see that signing VdV for 8m does not equate to a "piss poor window". He is a fantastic player, and if you aren't aware of that then it speaks volumes about your knowledge of football ...

VdV can also play as 2nd striker in a 4-4-2.

All this education I'm getting :D I know he can play up front in a 4-4-2. That's one of the reasons his goal tally as a 'central midfielder' is more impressive than the average, particularly for his time in the Netherlands. It's also one more reason why your goal comparison tally to a genuine central midfielder who has never had the benefit of playing in Holland or up front is utter cobblers. When he does play up front he plays deeper, off a main striker and can link attack and midfield. Kind of like a South American #10. I'm not ignorant to him as a player at all, or to what he can and can't do. He is an intelligent player and good for £8m. But then we both know that's not really the point I've been clearly failing to get across to you. As a stand-alone deal, van der Vaart for £8m is a good purchase. However, Spurs needed X, Spurs bought Y. Y was a good price and represents good value for money. But Spurs still need X. Now Spurs bought this 'Y', in fact only went in for Y, with 2 hours left in the window. It was not someone they were chasing. It was not the culmination of a few weeks negotiations. It was done after they failed to buy any of the strikers they were in for. And it was not, as Harry says "cuz 'e came dahhhn in price and I fought 'ats a perfick bargain', as Real have since come out and said. And let's be honest here, if there are 2 sides to a story, it's probably advisable not to believe honest 'arry's take on events.

Why remove his Dutch career with Ajax? It seems that you're the one wishing to manipulate the stats
I'll make this simple. You are comparing him to Frank Lampard. Frank has only ever played in a top league. Therefore in order to accurately compare their goal tally you look at VDV's record in the top leagues. I'm not saying he hasn't scored a shed load over his entire career, I'm just saying that in a comparison to Lampard which you were making, you can not use the Netherlands. Get it? Probably not. Do I care? Guess.

I'll just point out for anyone in doubt. I think VDV is a quality player and is good value for £8m. He was just really not what they needed, while other more critical positions went unstrengthened.

I'll just point out for anyone in doubt. I think VDV is a quality player and is good value for £8m. He was just really not what they needed, while other more critical positions went unstrengthened.

Nah, he was what Spurs needed. Spurs haven't had a true goalscoring midfielder since Poyet, and he was coming towards the end of his career.

You look at Fabregas at Arsenal, Gerrard at Liverpool, Lampard at Chelsea and back to Ronaldo at Man Utd and it shows how vital those goals from midfield can be.

And for all the talent that Spurs currently have in midfield, they don't have too many goals in them. Kranjcar will get you a few goals, but he's a squad player as he doesn't really add too much else.

So Van der Vaart was very much a signing that was needed, even if he was only signed last minute.

It's just that he needs a Dzeko or Forlan type player to play off in a 4-5-1. Although I do think any of out strikers will do a decent enough job in that role until the club can identify and sign a more natural player in that position.

As he read that (fantastic by the way) reply from BOF, all that will happen is his eyes will glaze over as he realises it doesn't agree with what he believes, so isn't true and isn't happening.

And then we'll get a 2 page long dissertation on why Spurs are the bestest.

No I think deep down he knows himself the point we are making but that is exactly why he is being more aggressive than usual with his replies.

Of course you stand by it. I expect nothing less from you to have your mind absolutely and totally made up in a way that is 100% supportive of whatever Harry has done. And I apologise if you're hard of breathing after reading my initial response. All that negativity directed at Spurs must have been quite the shock.

No point talking 'sense' with this guy , every player they sign is **** world class and they will smash their way through every competition they are in.

Glaston has a life mission of going into other club forums and generally bigging spurs up , shooting down anything which remotely resembles a critical opinion. And it's not just VT ,he is omnipresent.

Van der vaart is overrated , the real big boys did not want him so he went to Spurs.

Another attacking midfielder in there. What amazing balance in the squad , I love it.

Okay so:

Gomes

Bale

King

Dawson

Corluka

Modric

Huddlestone

Palacious

Lennon

Van Der Vaart

Crouch/Pavluchenko

That's how I see Van Der Vaart working. The way I see it, it's either Van Der Vaart of Defoe. You'd struggle to fit them both in the same team, without making the team completely powder puff.

Anyway, I think if Ireland is played in the same way to Van Der Vaart, I think he's every bit as good, if not better. He's got PL experience, and has proven quality. We just need to settle him in and show him a little love.

As for Villa, Glaston:

1 Chelsea 3 2 0 0 8 0 1 0 0 6 0 14 9

2 Arsenal 3 1 0 0 6 0 1 1 0 3 2 7 7

3 Man Utd 3 2 0 0 6 0 0 1 0 2 2 6 7

4 Aston Villa 3 2 0 0 4 0 0 0 1 0 6 -2 6

5 Bolton 3 0 2 0 2 2 1 0 0 3 1 2 5

6 Birmingham 3 1 0 0 2 1 0 2 0 4 4 1 5

7 Wolverhampton 3 1 1 0 3 2 0 1 0 1 1 1 5

8 Newcastle 3 1 0 0 6 0 0 1 1 1 4 3 4

9 Man City 3 1 0 0 3 0 0 1 1 0 1 2 4

10 Sunderland 3 1 1 0 3 2 0 0 1 0 1 0 4

11 Tottenham 3 0 1 1 0 1 1 0 0 2 1 0 4

12 Blackpool 3 0 1 0 2 2 1 0 1 4 6 -2 4

13 Liverpool 3 1 1 0 2 1 0 0 1 0 3 -2 4

14 Fulham 3 0 1 0 2 2 0 2 0 2 2 0 3

15 Blackburn 3 1 0 1 2 2 0 0 1 1 2 -1 3

16 West Brom 3 1 0 0 1 0 0 0 2 0 7 -6 3

17 Wigan 3 0 0 2 0 10 1 0 0 1 0 -9 3

18 Everton 3 0 1 0 1 1 0 0 2 0 2 -2 1

19 Stoke 3 0 0 1 1 2 0 0 2 1 4 -4 0

20 West Ham 3 0 0 1 1 3 0 0 2 0 6 -8 0

The club in crisis is currently above Spurs in the league! Wayhey. We're going to win the CL we are. :wave:

(The above is of course ironic/in jest, however, the point does stand. If Van Der Vaart's goals in the Dutch league are as valuable as PL goals, and Villa's pre WW2 trophies are not as valuable as Spur's post WW2 trophies, then the current league table is gospel and Villa are without question a better team than Spurs at the moment).

There are lies, damn lies, and statistics. ;)

Â