O'Neill - stay or go, the update

Risso

Should O'Neill stay or go?  

535 members have voted

1. 1. Should O'Neill stay or go?

• Stay
    • Go

time for o neill to go he has endless weaknesses that he has not fixed..dont ask me why but he just has not addresed them...he must be clueless 2 wins in 17...Sack Him Randy

I'll ask again cos no-one who wants the see the back of MON seems to have an answer.

Who should be brought in? Who is available who would realistically come to Villa and do better than MON has done?

Are you saying that in order to replace MON we must be able to see into the future and have hindsight at first sight?

There are many managers out there that can do as good as MON...believe me. There are also managers out there that can take the club further...which I seriously doubt MON is able to do.

See into the future??? No Tricella, but to sack the manager without any idea of who can come in and replace him, and do a better job, is just utter idiocy.

If you say you want him sacked, then you must have other candidates in mind who you think could do a better job. If not, then you haven't really thought your position through at all.

So who is gettable, available and would want to come to to Villa, and would do a better job? It's a fundamental and vitally important question if we are debating whether our manager should be sacked - can't you see that??

Guus Hiddink

Ronald Koeman

Frank Riijkaard

Ruud Gullit

Louis Van Gaal

Sven Göran Eriksson

Gerard Houllier

English managers that could do as good is a few but I wont name them because I know it wont be a reasonable discussion at all. You will attack as you usually does...

I could go on with more because Aston Villa FC is a great club that many managers would love to be at.

Martin O´Neill is seriously not at all the class you suggest he is. He is top class when it comes to coaching the players and improving them physical. He is clueless at times when it comes to tactics. He is absolutely shocking when it comes to transfers. With these attributes time will catch up with him...as it has now.

• Replies 767
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

time for o neill to go he has endless weaknesses that he has not fixed..dont ask me why but he just has not addresed them...he must be clueless 2 wins in 17...Sack Him Randy

I'll ask again cos no-one who wants the see the back of MON seems to have an answer.

Who should be brought in? Who is available who would realistically come to Villa and do better than MON has done?

Are you saying that in order to replace MON we must be able to see into the future and have hindsight at first sight?

There are many managers out there that can do as good as MON...believe me. There are also managers out there that can take the club further...which I seriously doubt MON is able to do.

See into the future??? No Tricella, but to sack the manager without any idea of who can come in and replace him, and do a better job, is just utter idiocy.

If you say you want him sacked, then you must have other candidates in mind who you think could do a better job. If not, then you haven't really thought your position through at all.

So who is gettable, available and would want to come to to Villa, and would do a better job? It's a fundamental and vitally important question if we are debating whether our manager should be sacked - can't you see that??

if it was my choice i,d employ Alan Curbishley who has allways done well with NO MONEY !

So i,d like to see what he can do if give adequate funds.

Because MON has funds but is CLUELESS as to what to do with it. All we ever hear is we have made loads of enquirys for players bla bla but of course amounts to shite or nothing.

Haha. Curbushley would certainly placate all the angry Villa fans on here! |What are you waiting for Randy? :lol:

To be fair at least you came up with a name.

if it was my choice i,d employ Alan Curbishley who has allways done well with NO MONEY !

So i,d like to see what he can do if give adequate funds.

Because MON has funds but is CLUELESS as to what to do with it. All we ever hear is we have made loads of enquirys for players bla bla but of course amounts to shite or nothing.

Haha. Curbushley would certainly placate all the angry Villa fans on here! |What are you waiting for Randy? :lol:

To be fair at least you came up with a name.

Or ever Ranieri but then again why the hell would he want to live in Birmingham ?

Both good managers !

I think it is crucial this season that we don't finish below 8th. I don't wanna see us dropping places, but finishing 6th twice on the go has givn us a bit more credibility as a top of the league challenger. Our position can attract better players that we don't seem to be going in for during the transfer window. However if MON keeps buying rather average premier league English players/just relegated players or players who never even get into the team then we can easily slip further than 8th this season. We'd have less chance getting some real quality star players at the club. Since the signing of Heskey in January, I've not seen real much from MON thats really inspiring. If these funds are available for him that we hear about, then he should be bringing in quality this summer. Our squad is not as good as our squad this time last year, not at all. It is getting very frustrating as the things fans have highlighed this summer were proven in our first game of the season. If hes got some tricks up his sleeve for the next few weeks then that would be fantastic, but how things stand right now with his management of the current team, I don't think it looks good. I remember our best performances in the Peace Cup came was when MON was sitting in the stand :).

Some people saying it is embarrassing to have this thread but this is still a continuation or bad results and lackluster performances from the tail end of last season, and the only thing thats changed about the sqaud is that it is weaker!

Spot on.

Some people are talking as if Season A is completely different from Season B and they are foolish to think that. In reality, momentum is a BIG factor in football and when you're in relegation form, that can quite easily carry on into a new season, which, in reality is just a break of around 8 weeks or however long it is.

Then if you couple that with the loss of two of our best players (the spine of our side) and failing to replace them despite having a whole summer AND longer to do so, and to then put on a performance like that yesterday, it is little wonder that many people are beginning to question the gaffer.

There is a distinct difference between critisising and seriously questioning Martin O'Neill and wanting him gone now. 30% on this poll want him gone now, and that doesn't even take into account people like me, who have completely lost faith in him, but feel he should be given a little longer to rectify this very worrying trend we are in and therefore voted 'stay' (for now).

So i wouldn't call 30% a 'vocal minority' at all, as that imputes a much lower percentage who want him gone, i'd actually say 30% is an extremely high percentage. And in reality, there are still certain posters who seem to be papering over the obvious cracks and can't possibly comprehend that a 'supporter' of this football club doesn't necessarily have to have a positive mind-set about things happening from within the club.

A supporter is one who pays money to watch their chosen club. And from that, they can choose to have whatever opinion they like. Some people seem to be going on the literal meaning of the word 'supporter' whereby one should show blind faith to the people employed by the club whatever the circumstance, and that people who do otherwise are not 'true' supporters and want the club to fail. That viewpoint is quite clearly blinkered, naive and quite frankly bullshit at best.

Guus Hiddink

Ronald Koeman

Frank Riijkaard

Ruud Gullit

Louis Van Gaal

Sven Göran Eriksson

Gerard Houllier

English managers that could do as good is a few but I wont name them because I know it wont be a reasonable discussion at all. You will attack as you usually does...

I could go on with more because Aston Villa FC is a great club that many managers would love to be at.

Martin O´Neill is seriously not at all the class you suggest he is. He is top class when it comes to coaching the players and improving them physical. He is clueless at times when it comes to tactics. He is absolutely shocking when it comes to transfers. With these attributes time will catch up with him...as it has now.

The majority of those managers are either not available or wouldn't come to Villa though, that's the point. The only ones I could see coming to Villa are Erikkson and Gullit - and in my opinion they would not do any better than O'Neill has done in the last few season. Erikkson is more interested in getting his leg over than winning football matches.

Edited - OBE

This is exactly what I meant in my post before you sent this crap. Just waiting to be offensive and having a go. Some on this site is just pathetic.

Grow up and discuss things with an ounce of maturity.

Poor old Tricella. Horribly offended again by a harmless little comment.

Guus Hiddink

Ronald Koeman

Frank Riijkaard

Ruud Gullit

Louis Van Gaal

Sven Göran Eriksson

Gerard Houllier

The majority of those managers are either not available or wouldn't come to Villa though, that's the point. The only ones I could see coming to Villa are Erikkson and Gullit - and in my opinion they would not do any better than O'Neill has done in the last few season. Erikkson is more interested in getting his leg over than winning football matches.

Edited - OBE

I gave you names...and they would probably represent the term gettable. Hiddink has got the taste of PL. Koeman would jump at the chance imo. I also believe Rijkaard to be interested. You underestimate the attraction level Villa has. We dont need to be satisfied with MON..we can get better.

And..SGE would do a better job..and it would also look better when he was doing it because the hoofing way would not be there.

Disagree all you like...but be fair in comments and there will never be any problems.

You know what's sad?

I just watched the Man U game ...

And Birmingham defend and attack better than us.

Gary O'Connor in 20 minutes managed to hold up the ball and link up play so many more **** times than Heskey. The reason? He doesn't just flick on random headers when the ball is played into him.

And their players actually can pass the ball from defense to midfield, as well as passing around in midfield to work an opening for a shot ...

Just an observation.

Do you think MON knew who that Benitez was? Of course he didn't he came from a league outside of Britain. He looked bloody good when he came on, nearly got them a draw on his own. Looks like he'll have fun against our "defence".

Stay 100%

Lots of managers might have bought in better defenders than we have got, more players or more glamourours signings. Would they have bought in Ashley Young, Carew, Petrov and Milner though, given Agbonlahor a chance, got the best out of Bouma, seen us take 4 points off Arsenal etc? Different managers get different things right and different things wrong. Overall i think very few managers could have done better on the pitch than we have done - the best season since 1995/96 for points last season in a year when we had 55 games. Last season was good, it had a pathetic run in that can't be forgotten about but the good parts and overall 6th place can't be dismissed. I'm sure a new manager will do it a new way, different players, more cover etc, i'm not sure they will see us getting more points or finishing higher in the league though.

In O'Neills first season with us we had a terrible run- i think it was 2 wins in 20 games, he showed he could learn from that and we turned it around. No reason at all he can't do it again, especially given that for 2/3rds of last season we were on course for our best season since we came 2nd. To dismiss all of that one game into a season as we lost and had a bad run in seems ridculous to me.

On another note half of the annoyance i think is the fact most people have realised we have decent owners who have put some money in but aren't the richest. Sadly that isn't enough in football now, we will finish above most clubs with less resources than us and below those who have more. Thats almost a given and its getting ever less likely any club or manager can break the cycle unless they get a mega rich owner. O Neill as manager will take the brunt of the annoyance over this and its why i hope we take the cups as seriously as we possibly can this year

Absolutely spot on.

I actually think there are a fair number of Villa fans who enjoy putting the team down, it's like some sort of masochistic, self-loathing habit that we indulge in. Some people in the Holte just can't wait to have a moan at the first sight of trouble, it even happens when we are winning games!

Martin O'Neill has taken us to consecutive 6th place finishes in a league that is becoming increasingly competitive. He's the best thing to happen to this club for years and while i don't agree with his all his tactics nor think that his transfer dealings have been as numerous as they should have been i still think he's the best manager out there for Villa.

Having just watched the blue's game, they seem ahead of us at this moment. We have to improve quickly to get back on song.

They are, they're ahead of us by +1 goal difference after 1 game of the season. :winkold:

Lets not press the panic button after 90 minutes of football.

Even though our form has been poor recently I don't think sacking MON would be worthwhile. Teams need time to be built, Everton nearly went down, after Moyes' first few seasons, but they stuck by him and as such have had the rewards in recent years. Look at how Ferguson was at the beginning of his reign and we all know how that materialised.

Honestly don't think sacking the manager is the way forward, especially as there are not really any others around who could do much better.

Think MON needs help with transfers though as it does seem an area where he struggles, even though technical directors don't always work I think it would be ideal in our situation. MON could give the person a list of players for each position he would like to have at the club, it would be then down to this technical director to get one/two players for each position. This would give MON more time to do the things that he is best at eg motivating players.

I honestly think the likes of Hodgson, Martinez, Bruce could do so much better for us than O'Neil.

Then why haven't they done better than us yet?

because they have had 15 million per year as opposed to martin`s 100 million including a squad with Laursen and Barry

I honestly think the likes of Hodgson, Martinez, Bruce could do so much better for us than O'Neil.

Then why haven't they done better than us yet?

Oh well let's see:

Hodgson - manages perennial relegation strugglers FULHAM, finished one place behind us despite not spending anywhere near as much. Has also qualified for major tournaments with Switzerland, and has managed one of the world's greats in Inter Milan.

Martinez - one game into his Premier League career. Already has his team playing better football than we've managed in a long time.

Â