Barry Worthy Of Top Ten?

AVFCLaura

Should Gareth Barry Rank in this Top 10 List of Football Mercenaries?  

34 members have voted

1. 1. Should Gareth Barry Rank in this Top 10 List of Football Mercenaries?

• Yes - He definitely belongs with the rest of them!
    • No - He's not as bad as the below.

Mercenary...?

They're the players fans love to hate — the football mercenaries.

They kiss the badge, they wave to the crowd, they cry buckets of tears and vow they're ready to shed blood for the club.

Until a better offer comes along, that is.

Gareth Barry is the latest in a long line of stars to take a slating for leaving in a big-money move.

But are Aston Villa fans right to batter Barry? Compare him to our Top 10 football mercenaries.

10. Pascal Chimbonda

This guy provides ashining example of how to be a mercenary. Six months into a four-year contract, he handed in a transfer request after Wigan's 4-2 defeat at Arsenal on the final day of the 2005-06 season.

The Latics' robust reply was that he could see out his contract in the reserves. Chimbonda, who didn't help matters by referring to Wigan as a "stepping stone," finally got his way by joining Tottenham for £4.5million on transfer deadline day in August 2006.

Next stop was Sunderland, where he vowed to help the club to the title "within five years."

We'll never find out because the following January he was back at Spurs. Watch this space...

9. Winston Bogarde

This must be some sort of a record. Winston earned £8.3million on a four-year contract with Chelsea and started only four games.

That really is mega-mercenary.

Whichever way you look at it, at £40,000 a week is nice work if you can get it.

And Winston was loyal — whenever the club tried to get him out, he hung on tenaciously, even when he ended up training with the youth squad.

His reasoning was simple: nobody else would pay him that sort of money.

Too right they wouldn't, Winston.

8. Sol Campbell

Wrong move, wrong club, wrong time. That sums up Sol's move from Tottenham to...Arsenal. That's right, Arsenal.

The boy made several obvious mistakes along the way, including telling the Spurs faithful he would be staying and vowing never to join the Gunners.

Then he moved to the red half of north London and, just to rub it in, won Premier League and FA Cup medals in his first season.

To add further insult, Spurs never got a penny because he went on a free and their fans still call him Judas to this day.

7. Nicolas Anelka

It's hard to know whether this guy is a mercenary, just plain awkward, or both.

Arsenal fans nicknamed him "Le Sulk" early in his career after he had risen without trace to star in the Gunners 1997-98 League and FA Cup Double team.

Our Nic, who wanted a pay rise, wasn't standing for it, and set off on a transfer trail which cost his clubs a total of around £90million.

Real Madrid, Paris St Germain, Liverpool (on loan), Manchester City, Fenerbahce, Bolton and Chelsea saw enough to take a punt.

Anelka had better be careful or he'll set a record by staying at Chelsea for so long. And then the fans might start thinking he cares about the club...

6. Pierre van Hooijdonk

The Dutchman with the unpronounceable name — full name Petrus Ferdinandus Johannes van Hooijdonk — didn't seem to realise he was a mercenary.

Why else would he come out with this never-to-be forgotten quote: "£7,000 a week? That's fine for the homeless, but not for me."

Mind you, Pierre — who played for Celtic and Forest among others — had his down days.

He went on strike at Forest in protest over a lack of ambition at the club, and later lost £2m to fraudsters.

Let's hope he didn't end up homeless.

5. Carlos Tevez

The place: Old Trafford. The date: May 16, 2009. Carlos Tevez is subbed during Manchester United's 0-0 draw with Arsenal.

It was the day he left United in tears, kissing the badge, patting his heart and bewildered by Alex Ferguson's failure to sign him from whoever it was that owned him.

The place: Eastlands Stadium. The date July 14, 2009. Tevez joins Manchester City for £25.5, explaining that he didn't want to join Liverpool because it would upset United fans.

Hmm...that's all right, then.

4. Sven Goran Eriksson

What's the difference between a manager and a director of football? About £2million if you delve down into League Two, which is where Sven is operating with Notts County these days.

It works out at £5,480 a day — but Sven's got form. As England boss, he earned £5m a year and won sweet FA.

He even had his pay jacked up by Three Lions bosses when it emerged he could be next in line for the Chelsea job.

That's how a true mercenary operates — but he seems such a nice guy.

Just ask Nancy, Ulrika, or Faria, although you've got to wonder just what they saw in this football multi-millionaire.

3. Luis Figo

Players who leave Barcelona are best advised not to join Real Madrid.

If you do, you might get a pig's head thrown at you, which is exactly what happened to Figo on his return to the Nou Camp.

Not quite a horse's head, Godfather-style, but the message was much the same.

He was a great favourite at Barca, but almost sparked a second Spanish Civil War when he headed off to Real for £37m in 2000.

Still, he has stunning model wide Helen Svedin to help him get over what those nasty Catalan boys say about him.

2. Ashley Cole

Earned the undying hatred of Arsenal fans by switching to Chelsea.

Going on a free transfer would have been bad enough, but he was fined £100,000, although that was later reduced to £75,000 for letting Jose Morinho and Co tap him up.

Then attacked Arsenal for offering a mere £55,000 a week instead of £60,000 a week. Finally joined Chelsea on transfer deadline day in August 2006, taking with him the nickname "Cashley."

No prizes for guessing why...

1. Emmanuel Adebayor

The newest recruit to the mercenary brigade after his £25million switch from Arsenal to moneybags Manchester City.

Blamed the Arsenal fans for driving him out after an indifferent season. Key quote: "It's not my fault that Milan, Barcelona and Real Madrid wanted to sign me."

So why go to considerably less glamorous Man City? Oh yes, it could be the £150,000-a-week wages... The Sun

What do you think?

nah, nowhere near the top 10.

stayed with us for 11 years!

misguided at the end, but Liverpool didn't come in with another offer for him, so he had to go to Man City. The money helped sure, but he would have taken less salary to go to Liverpooool.

I feel nothing but contempt for him. The way he handled himself some 12 months ago was nothing short of disgraceful and the only way he could have atoned for that in my eyes is by committing himself to the club.

Unlike some I don't blame him for joining Manchester City. He thinks they will be challenging for titles before he becomes too old to be part of a championship winning side. I think he's wrong, I think they'll move on from Gareth Barry pretty quick. But regardless he'll retire an even richer man.

Barry left for a club with better prospects of CL football than us, when Liverpool were not going to match their bid. The way he acted last Summer was awful and I never thought I'd see him in a Villa shirt again, nor did I want to see him in one. But then he came back to us and seemed committed. I voted 'No', but casting my mind back to last Summer, I might be inclined to change my vote. I'd like to be refreshed as to his interview with the NOTW

Nowhere near any list of mercanaries.

He gave over 10 years to one club, taking one last huge payday doesn't make you a mercanary, just smart.

If he'd spent his career club hoping following the money then sure, but he gave us 10 years.

nah, nowhere near the top 10.

stayed with us for 11 years!

misguided at the end, but Liverpool didn't come in with another offer for him, so he had to go to Man City. The money helped sure, but he would have taken less salary to go to Liverpooool.

WE stayed with HIM for 11 years.

NO WAY Barry is near there.

Barry played for 11 years and rarely let us down on the pitch.

I hate this abuse he gets. I know he left the club but its not like he is Yorke or Alpay with his attitude

I think he is. Was average for years with us, tried to move on several times. MON gave him a proper chance as a CM, made him captain, got him into the England squad. Barry tried to jump ship to Liverpool immidiatly. Lost captaincy, stayed, was made captain again, and despite all this talk about CL football he **** off to Citeh who has nothing to offer but money.

If he isn't a mercenary nobody is.

Mercenary.

He was hit and miss before MON came along and established him as an England regular and someone worthy of the captaincy of our club. We the fans backed him for 10+ years and then he words removed us, his team mates, our owner and the manager off with that article in NOTW stating how if we were CL then he "would never consider leaving this great club."

12 months later he is off to Man City. Laughable.

Bogarde & Anelka should be the top 2 in that list.

Barry doesn't belong on it, like other posters have said, he did 11 years at the Villa.

But it'll be interesting to see what happens when he stops getting his game at City.

I think a more interesting question is whether you would take him back. Say if a new manager comes in and Barry becomes redundant.

I personally wouldn't take him back. Good player, would make our squad stronger, but no thanks. I'd rather sign someone else.

Nah, not the top 10.

I also feel a bit sorry for Ashley Cole. As far as I'm aware, he was told he would be offered £60,000 when he next signs a contract, which Arsenal then refused to give him. It's all well and good saying he should be happy enough with £55,000, but if I were promised something, then offered less, I'd be pretty pissed off.

Nah, not the top 10.

I also feel a bit sorry for Ashley Cole. As far as I'm aware, he was told he would be offered £60,000 when he next signs a contract, which Arsenal then refused to give him. It's all well and good saying he should be happy enough with £55,000, but if I were promised something, then offered less, I'd be pretty pissed off.

On that basis I also feel sorry for ashley cole, on every other level he sounds like an knob

Gareth Barry = Villa legend

I would welcome him back in a heartbeat and shake his hand at any opportunity.

He could have signed pre-contract terms in January. Instead he went for a fee of GBP12m. I don't blame him for doing right by himself and his family, and I thank him for acting honourably and doing right by our football club.

There are plenty of players who have spat on us over the years and Gareth isn't one of them.

I wish him every success and hope that he has a brilliant World Cup next year.

Â