The Film Thread

DeadlyDirk

If you're a fan of Nolan (or even if you're not) his short called 'Doodlebug' is worth checking out. It launched his career and a year later he directed 'Following'. You can see it
Thanks. Pretty spooky and big Kafka vibes.

Anybody get the Superman teaser at their Dark Knight Rises screening? Theres 2 versions doing the rounds, one with a Kevin Costner voice over as a Pa Kent, and another with Russell Crowe as Jor-El, Superman's father.

It's a really good teaser, if a slightly curious one for what will be a huge blockbuster. Zach Snyder's making it so it was never in doubt that'd look good, all of his films do, but the combination of the music and the very Malick-y cinematography, and the weighty voice over work makes it almost moving. Which is crazy. Although given that the music is the elegiac music from LOTR when Gandalf dies it's somewhat to be expected. I prefer the Crowe voice over version myself but both make for a really, really good teaser. I don't like Superman and this has actually made me interested...

You will give the people an ideal to strive towards. They will race behind you. They will stumble, they will fall. But in time, they will join you in the sun. In time, you will help them accomplish wonders - Crowe version.

You're not just anyone. One day you're gonna have to make a choice. You have to decide what kind of man you want to grow up to be, whoever that man is, good character or bad... is gonna change the world. - Costner version.

Watched Battle Royale on Friday and Training Day last night. Both good films. Washington is outstanding in Training Day

I've been looking forward to it mainly for visual reasons, yet the teasers make it seem like it may actually have some depth. Perhaps Nolan was heavily involved as the Producer on this one...

I hope they don't bring out any other trailers for it. I prefer teaser trailers that don't show all the main plot points and best scenes.

I wouldn't have said masterpiece. It doesn't stand up on second viewing and not just because of the obvious as for example The Usual Suspects does despite you knowing what is coming.

But it is very good. Highly recommended.

Still along with the prestige its Nolans best.

I wouldn't have said masterpiece. It doesn't stand up on second viewing and not just because of the obvious as for example The Usual Suspects does despite you knowing what is coming.

See now The Prestige is a film that stands up on a second viewing, because you're forced to see more than you did initially. Its an utterly mesmarising film. Still flawed, still falls apart a little and hence not a masterpiece. For all Nolans brilliance he's yet to make a Godfather, an Eastern Promises, an Old Boy or dare I say it a Drive.... In my opinion of course.

I'd still take The Dark Knight I think over the two were talking of but I also long for him to go back to making "simpler" films like memento because I feel he has that masterpiece in him. He won't find it making comic book movies where you are tied to certain "rules", with certain expectations.

Though ive yet to see rises. Hope I'm proven wrong. Regardless im sure ill enjoy it. Tom Hardy's in it....

Completely disagree Doug. Memento is better than Prestige, and here's why:

Memento IS a masterpiece and does stand up to repeat viewings. In fact each time I've watched it (5+) it's made more sense than the last time. The structure is flawless genius, as is the use of colour - and it's definitely one of the best films ever. There's nothing there that doesn't make sense, at least to me.

The Prestige is really good, but not on the same level. That's because of the **SPOILER** cop-out twist at the end. So... uh.... magic exists? Well fair enough, but you could have to established that at some point in the film! Otherwise, certain audience members (such as myself) are likely to feel a little cheated. It's a bit like making a murder-mystery film and then announcing right at the end that aliens came down and murdered the victim. Good, but not as good as Memento :P

Its ok to disagree on this I think. Its not like you're telling me Ryan Gosling is "wooden" ;-)

I will watch Memento again as it happens and I agree with you on the flaws in The Prestige (I even mentioned them in my post).

Talking of Bale, I feel I've waited long enough to see American Psycho again. Hope that stands the test, love that film.

See now The Prestige is a film that stands up on a second viewing, because you're forced to see more than you did initially. Its an utterly mesmarising film. Still flawed, still falls apart a little and hence not a masterpiece. For all Nolans brilliance he's yet to make a Godfather, an Eastern Promises, an Old Boy or dare I say it a Drive.... In my opinion of course.

I'd still take The Dark Knight I think over the two were talking of but I also long for him to go back to making "simpler" films like memento because I feel he has that masterpiece in him. He won't find it making comic book movies where you are tied to certain "rules", with certain expectations.

Though ive yet to see rises. Hope I'm proven wrong. Regardless im sure ill enjoy it. Tom Hardy's in it....

Agree Nolan hasn't made a masterpiece yet and maybe never will. But he's amazingly consistent. I've enjoyed every movie he's released. I hear the new batman is not bad but nothing amazing like Dark Knight was. Which is understandable, the 3rd movie in a series is usually the hardest to make.

But will I see a masterpiece ala Lumet or Maleck from Nolan? I doubt it as he doesn't make those kind of movies.

Its ok to disagree on this I think. Its not like you're telling me Ryan Gosling is "wooden" ;-)

I will watch Memento again as it happens and I agree with you on the flaws in The Prestige (I even mentioned them in my post).

Talking of Bale, I feel I've waited long enough to see American Psycho again. Hope that stands the test, love that film.

Agree that the true test of a great movie is waiting a year at least to watch it again. I did this with The New World and am gonna watch tree of life a second time shortly. Both are masterpieces. The former has been confirmed on second viewing. The latter will be too I'd assume as it's my current best of all time.

I remember "The Prestige" and "The Illusionist" both came out around the same time, and they both were "19th century magic movies"...of the two, I thought The Illusionist was much better. The "twist" at the end of the Prestige was just insulting.

Yep. It's actually my favourite ever film.

I don't think it's the best film by a long shot. But I just never tire of it. Action, comedy, romance, style, sci fi. What's not to like?

Watched the dark knight rises which although started slowly soon developed into a very good film. not quite as good as the dark knight but a worthy end to the trilogy. I think he wrapped it up very nicely with a few nice twists here and there, only a few of which i saw coming. It was odd though, despite good acting by Bale and good character development by Bale for me this film was far more than just a batman film. Whilst i loved the action bits with him in and the described 'rise' of the character i enjoyed the other parts just a much and found myself wanting to know more of other characters stories rather than batman's...

On the Nolan debate, i think having wrapped up this epic trilogy well he has placed himself alongside the movie director greats. Memento is one of my favourite films, Inception was clever and exciting, the batman trilogy has been immense and the prestige was solid yet for me not quite as good as his others. However i think we are yet to see his 'true masterpiece'

And now Ferris Bueller's on.

Seriously, an incredible film cleverly disguised as a light comedy. Brilliant. The museum scene is one of my all time favourites

Â