The Film Thread

DeadlyDirk

The end of True Grit is gash.

Why?

Honest question. I've seen it and thought it was very good, don't see what was bad about the ending.

Inevitably if you answer it'll be a spoiler so best to disguise it.

It's the Coen Brothers. It's their 'thing' to have shit; sorry 'abrupt'; endings. It's also uncool to criticise said endings in the same way it's uncool to not 'get' modern art :)

It's the Coen Brothers. It's their 'thing' to have shit; sorry 'abrupt'; endings. It's also uncool to criticise said endings in the same way it's uncool to not 'get' modern art :)

It's also their 'thing' to stick with the same ending as the book they have adapted. They did it with No Country and True Grit. Fair play to them if you ask me.

No Country has a wonderful ending, it's abrupt but poetic and, importantly, cinematic. True Grits ending is just abrupt, and doesn't suit the tone of the film, it doesn't really serve a purpose.

Literature and Film are different artforms, just because you adapt a film honestly doesn't make it any better or worse, cinematic adaptions are allowed to take a few liberties, something which could've done the Coens a world of good when ending the film.

'Twas a rubbish ending to an otherwise good film.

It's also their 'thing' to stick with the same ending as the book they have adapted. They did it with No Country and True Grit. Fair play to them if you ask me.

Aha! I had a response for this very answer. They seem to be drawn towards books that have shit or abrupt endings, just so they can stick to them.

And still I dreamed on, further into the future than I had ever dreamed before, watching Nathan Junior's progress from afar, taking pride in his accomplishments as if he were our own. Wondering if he ever thought of us and hoping that maybe we'd broadened his horizons a little even if he couldn't remember just how they got broadened.

But still I hadn't dreamt nothing about me and Ed until the end. And this was cloudier cause it was years, years away. But I saw an old couple being visited by their children, and all their grandchildren too. The old couple weren't screwed up. And neither were their kids or their grandkids. And I don't know. You tell me. This whole dream, was it wishful thinking? Was I just fleeing reality like I know I'm liable to do? But me and Ed, we can be good too. And it seemed real. It seemed like us and it seemed like, well, our home. If not Arizona, then a land not too far away. Where all parents are strong and wise and capable and all children are happy and beloved. I don't know.

Maybe it was Utah.

Nowt wrong with that.

I mentioned it a couple of pages back. i really want to see it but couldn't find a cinema showing it! Electric Cinema showed an advanced screening in January but don't appear to be giving it a full run.

I thought it looked really good, and I love Bardem (he's incredible in No Country For Old Men) so i definitely want to see it, although a couple of reviews I saw didn't rate it that highly.

I mentioned it a couple of pages back. i really want to see it but couldn't find a cinema showing it! Electric Cinema showed an advanced screening in January but don't appear to be giving it a full run.

I thought it looked really good, and I love Bardem (he's incredible in No Country For Old Men) so i definitely want to see it, although a couple of reviews I saw didn't rate it that highly.

I saw it about a month ago at Cineworld 5 ways. I think it only lasted a few nights or something. Amazing movie in a sad kinda way. Really depressing, so you've been warned.

catfish-movie-photo.jpg

Just watched that. Really good. Completely bizarre and kind of disturbing, but very good nonetheless.

Also, I got the film from a friend. I had literally no idea what the film was about, who made it, when it was made etc etc. I think that added to my enjoyment.

Â