The Spanish Football/la Liga Thread

Troglodyte

im sorry i just atched it and obviously Fabregas said something to him. You dont just react like that for nothing. Plus he barely touched him and he went down like a sack of spuds.

typical Barcelona ;)

Different eras, impossible to compare. Cristiano Ronaldo is playing at a time where money has allowed Real Madrid to be much stronger than everybody else, the squad they have today is just incredible, and that wouldnt have been possible even ten years ago due to things like the 7 substitutes rule not being in place and Champions League money being less. I dont think it is up for debate that the quality of opposition for Barcelona and Real is lower today than it was a decade ago. More protection from referees too, when you look at the great strikers of the late 1990s/early 2000s (Ronaldo, Michael Owen) it is little surprise that injury took its toll on them as they got kicked so much. Cristiano's club form is better as he has quite a few more things in his favour. Brazilian Ronaldo did far more at international level, but then he did play for **** Brazil so advantages Cristiano had at club level are totally reversed. They are both absolutely amazing forwards who have a great all round game.

Personally I dont think Cristiano has ever hit the heights that Brazilian Ronaldo achieved between the ages of 18-22 (PSV, Barcelona and first season and a half at Inter until his knee went) but that is just my personal opinion.

some intresting points made, but I disagree with the different eras thing. It was only 7 years ago that Fat Ronaldo was playing for madrid. Its not like the pele v maradona debate where there was a 20-25 year difference. In addition to this the madrid team that Fat ronaldo played also had alot more money then everyone else. Don't you remember they were signing galacticos every single summer including zidane for £48 million. the squad frm 7 years was also incredible, zidane, figo, casillas, roberto carlos, hierro etc, similar standard to the one now. I think we can compare, things have not changed that much in 7 years, and madrid had more money then their rivals before.

I'd argue that the game changed more between 2000 and 2010 than it did between 1980 and 2000. Loads of things changed, the money absolutely poured into the game and because of that rules were changed to enable the biggest clubs to build incredibly strong squads. Football went from being a team game into being a squad game. Five, then seven substitutes were allowed so clubs like Real Madrid could keep 20 full internationals happy. Bosman might have happened in 1996, but it was really 1999/2000 where it really changed the world as contracts signed before the ruling were coming to an end.

Different eras, impossible to compare. Cristiano Ronaldo is playing at a time where money has allowed Real Madrid to be much stronger than everybody else, the squad they have today is just incredible, and that wouldnt have been possible even ten years ago due to things like the 7 substitutes rule not being in place and Champions League money being less. I dont think it is up for debate that the quality of opposition for Barcelona and Real is lower today than it was a decade ago. More protection from referees too, when you look at the great strikers of the late 1990s/early 2000s (Ronaldo, Michael Owen) it is little surprise that injury took its toll on them as they got kicked so much. Cristiano's club form is better as he has quite a few more things in his favour. Brazilian Ronaldo did far more at international level, but then he did play for **** Brazil so advantages Cristiano had at club level are totally reversed. They are both absolutely amazing forwards who have a great all round game.

Personally I dont think Cristiano has ever hit the heights that Brazilian Ronaldo achieved between the ages of 18-22 (PSV, Barcelona and first season and a half at Inter until his knee went) but that is just my personal opinion.

some intresting points made, but I disagree with the different eras thing. It was only 7 years ago that Fat Ronaldo was playing for madrid. Its not like the pele v maradona debate where there was a 20-25 year difference. In addition to this the madrid team that Fat ronaldo played also had alot more money then everyone else. Don't you remember they were signing galacticos every single summer including zidane for £48 million. the squad frm 7 years was also incredible, zidane, figo, casillas, roberto carlos, hierro etc, similar standard to the one now. I think we can compare, things have not changed that much in 7 years, and madrid had more money then their rivals before.

I'd argue that the game changed more between 2000 and 2010 than it did between 1980 and 2000. Loads of things changed, the money absolutely poured into the game and because of that rules were changed to enable the biggest clubs to build incredibly strong squads. Football went from being a team game into being a squad game. Five, then seven substitutes were allowed so clubs like Real Madrid could keep 20 full internationals happy. Bosman might have happened in 1996, but it was really 1999/2000 where it really changed the world as contracts signed before the ruling were coming to an end.

I don't think the issues surrounding how many subs are allowed on the pitch has any bearing to this argument. Yes football has moved on from 2004 when ronaldo was at madrid, but things have not changed that dramatically. The fact is C Ronaldos goal scoring record since the start of 07/08 is better then fat ronaldos ever was. Also the financial gap between madrid and the other huge clubs is arguably smaller now, because Barcelona can now compete with them financially, as can the 2 manchester clubs and chelsea. 7 years ago hardly any one could hence why they were able to sign a galactico superstar every summer unchallenged.

But I was arguing that Ronaldo (Brazil) was at his absolute peak between 1994 and 1998, which is more than seven years ago. Personally I would rather have that Ronaldo than today's Cristiano. I'm not saying that Cristiano is a bad player, ****, the man is going to be an all time great but the Brazilian Ronaldo of PSV, Barcelona and Inter was just a phenomenon. Pass him the ball, count to five then go celebrate with him because he has just scored a goal. The man could virtually beat teams on his own.

But I was arguing that Ronaldo (Brazil) was at his absolute peak between 1994 and 1998, which is more than seven years ago. Personally I would rather have that Ronaldo than today's Cristiano. I'm not saying that Cristiano is a bad player, ****, the man is going to be an all time great but the Brazilian Ronaldo of PSV, Barcelona and Inter was just a phenomenon. Pass him the ball, count to five then go celebrate with him because he has just scored a goal. The man could virtually beat teams on his own.

94 and 98? I could of swore you said 96-99 :winkold:

Whatever. It doesnt change the point, does it?

It does slightly, the Ronaldo of 94 was playing for cruzeiro and no one had heard of him, was just an average striker then, was 96 when he became 'the man'. But ye he was an awesome player no doubt.

Spanish football in racism shocker. Amazing how countries like Russia are condemned and rightly so for racism, yet the Spanish get away with it. Remember the England game there in 04? (or was it 05.)

English football has had two similar accusations in the last two weeks.

I wouldn't be so quick to judge.

The stuff that happens here is nothing compared to what happens in Spain from time to time, where racist chanting from the stands is still not an uncommon thing to hear. It has to be a cultural difference, which is something I always found surprising when you consider that mainland Spain is separated from Africa by less than ten miles of water and there are parts of Spain which are on mainland Africa. Remember the Thierry Henry comments that Aragones (Spain's Euro 2008 winning manager) made to his Arsenal team mate José Antonio Reyes which were caught on camera?

Lviuh.jpg

It was only three years ago that this photo was taken. It is the Spanish Olympic basketball team doing a slanty eyes pose ahead of the Beijing Olympics. The photo actually appeared in an advert for one of their official sponsors, and it seems that nobody involved in the shooting or publishing of the photo could see any kind of problem. If that is the attitude over there then it is little surprise there is still a lot of dodgy chanting.

Â