Running

trimandson

Gait is the way your feet are planted on the ground when you run. Some lucky people have feet that are straight when they hit the ground; most people’s feet hit the ground at an angle. If thats too much either inwards or outwards, you will be inefficient in your running style, but also will lead to injury problems. Orthothics (inserts into your running shoes) will help to correct this problem and lead to less injuries.

Good running shops will have a treadmill where they will video the way you run and analyse your gait and then recommend which is the best shoe that will give you support where you need it.

I personally would recommend when you start running, to do run/walking sessions. Rather than going out and running 5 miles straight, start off with a period of walking (this will loosen you up), say five minutes, then run for ten minutes, walk for a couple of minutes and then run again. This will help you build up staminia. Another thing to try is Fartlek. This is where you run at varying speeds. SO you might run three minutes flat out and then gently jog for five minutes and then have five minutes of fast running. Try to avoid turning sessions into just slogging out the miles. (apologies if this has been written before).

The cost of trainers depends on your running style, but generally they are worth the money. Once you have found a pair of shoes that work for you stick with them (you can find places that are cheap on the internet). I reckon £40-£70 is the usual range

What's gait?

And how much should I pay for a good pair of shoes?

Gait is the way your feet and legs move. Watch people running and you'll be amazed at how differently everybody does it. Long strides, short strides, straight knees, bent knees, heel hits first, toes hit first, and so on.

But the main thing appears to be what they call pronation, i.e. whether your foot rolls inward or outward as it hits the ground. Different shoes are structured to deal with this - using the wrong sort can cause or exacerbate injuries.

Have a look at the Runners' World guide to choosing shoes for an explanation.

EDIT: As for cost, how long's a piece of string? More expensive does not necessarily mean better, provided you find ones that suit. Prices typically range between 40 and 100 quid, but some stores (e.g. Sports Shoes Unlimited - although it's in Bradford!) do sizable discounts on "last year's" models.

Thats what I'm doing at the minute, interval running. I started doing it because I wanted more of an 'explosive' pace for football, someone recommended to me sprinting a lamppost then walking/jogging a lamppost and it seems to be working so far (coupled with the occasional session on the weights), but its bit me on the arse now and I want to get into long distance stuff, which I'm struggling to do. I can't jog flat out for a mile, even going at a silly slow pace, but when I'm playing football I have no issue sprinting/stopping/sprinting again all game.

Thanks for the feedback all, much appreciated so far.

I can't jog flat out for a mile, even going at a silly slow pace, but when I'm playing football I have no issue sprinting/stopping/sprinting again all game.
It'll come. It's just a matter of building up stamina - but it's also a mental thing. Keep up the training regime and look back in six months or a year and you'll be staggered at the rate of improvement.

And as I keep saying - try and find a local running club (as opposed to a gym). Having like-minded mates to run with can make all the difference. Most clubs welcome even absolute beginners, so don't worry about not being good enough. And if the others are anything like mine, the membership will probably include loads of fit (in every sense) women! :):thumb:

How much does it normally cost to race, and what do you pay for?
Depends on the race. The big charity-driven events that attract thousands of entrants (London Marathon, Great North Run, etc.) tend to be pricey - up to fifty quid (or more). These big ones (what a mate of mine calls "tarts' races") tend be oversubscribed and hard to get into anyway.

But local races (often 10Ks or similar) can be a tenner or less. Some of them have chip-timing (where you get a widget to tie onto your shoe and which measures your time as you cross the start and finish line), most will give you a (probably naff) souvenir for finishing, usually a T-shirt, sometimes a mug, etc. (we have given away bottles of beer at our club races!), and results tend to be up on a website somewhere within 24 hours. Discount for UKAA members is usually about 15-20%.

Club membership costs can vary wildly, but should work out cheaper than gym membership (ours is only 15 quid a year).

I've entered the GReat Edinburhg run in May, as I mentioned. It cost me 27 quid. Not sure what you pay for. I assume some money goes to charity, and some goes to the set up of the event which must cost a fair bit.

Depends on the race. The big charity-driven events that attract thousands of entrants (London Marathon, Great North Run, etc.) tend to be pricey - up to fifty quid (or more). These big ones (what a mate of mine calls "tarts' races") tend be oversubscribed and hard to get into anyway.

But local races (often 10Ks or similar) can be a tenner or less. Some of them have chip-timing (where you get a widget to tie onto your shoe and which measures your time as you cross the start and finish line), most will give you a (probably naff) souvenir for finishing, usually a T-shirt, sometimes a mug, etc. (we have given away bottles of beer at our club races!), and results tend to be up on a website somewhere within 24 hours. Discount for UKAA members is usually about 15-20%.

Club membership costs can vary wildly, but should work out cheaper than gym membership (ours is only 15 quid a year).

Oh I see. I'm gonna get some trainers and a watch get training upto a steady mile or two, and look into a club then I think, I'm some way before 'novice' still at the minute haha.

I've entered the GReat Edinburhg run in May, as I mentioned. It cost me 27 quid. Not sure what you pay for. I assume some money goes to charity, and some goes to the set up of the event which must cost a fair bit.
That's basically right. I'm on the race comittee for our club, which stages two 10Ks each year. Overheads can include stuff like hire of changing facilities (we use a local school), possible fees for policing (and roads may need to be temporarily closed), St. John's Ambulance, advertising, signage, souvenirs, refreshments, postage, etc., etc. We also give a percentage to local charities, and what little is left goes toward club funds.

Oh I see. I'm gonna get some trainers and a watch get training upto a steady mile or two, and look into a club then I think, I'm some way before 'novice' still at the minute haha.

Sounds sensible. I'd contact your local club and ask them if they have any minimum ability required for entry. They probably vary; ours just asks that you be capable of running nonstop for half an hour - regardless of pace.

Sounds sensible. I'd contact your local club and ask them if they have any minimum ability required for entry. They probably vary; ours just asks that you be capable of running nonstop for half an hour - regardless of pace.

Half hour!? Maybe this time next year then haha!

On the subject of Trainers, I got a new pair recently from Sutton Runner in Boldmere, been there for about 18 years and offers fantastic service. They videoed me running and told me that I run with my feet to the outside (apparently only 1% of people run this way, it's normally the inside) anyway a good shop will start you with a "neutral" pair of runners then recommend a few pairs after checking your running style. I asked them not to tell me the prices, as I didn't want it to affect my decision, but tried 3 pairs and went for the ones that felt the best?! Which happened to be the cheapest (Nike Vomero + @ £89) they are absolutely brilliant and have completely remove the pain I used to get in my outer knee when running. I can't stress enough, how important your runners are. Finally go for a good pair of socks, with a double weave, really do make a difference too and only a tenner.

Good Luck and enjoy, or should that be endure??

That's basically right. I'm on the race comittee for our club, which stages two 10Ks each year. Overheads can include stuff like hire of changing facilities (we use a local school), possible fees for policing (and roads may need to be temporarily closed), St. John's Ambulance, advertising, signage, souvenirs, refreshments, postage, etc., etc. We also give a percentage to local charities, and what little is left goes toward club funds.

Yeh Overheads, exactly. Something like the great Edinburgh run must take a hell of a lot of organising so I'm sure they have pretty high costs.

I have no problem paying, if bein gin the race motivates me to train myself up to be able to run that far in a decent time then I'm all for it.

Â