Running

trimandson

Used to run over 20 miles a week and knees are screwed now. Best advice i can give is:

a. Get to somewhere like up and running in brum who for free will film you on a running machine to make sure the trainers you wear are perfect, the trainers are often cheapr there than in somewhere like JD.

b. STRETCH! I didn't realise how much tight hamstrings affected you until i was shown the mechanics a few months ago, since i have started stretching them twice a day the pain has subsided.

I used to wear Ronhills on the bottom and a Helly hanson top.

I really miss my running but what cheesed me off was when i had gone through the third operation on both knees i found out that i had flat feet and with insoles i could have prevented all my operations and the pain i go through now.

I HATE running but I've gotten into it recently. I'm doing the great Edinburgh run in May (10k) and I want to be able to give it a goood go. I'm aiming for around 45-50 minutes. I did 5 miles 2 years ago when I'd had no training and I was a bit fatter, and I did it in 44 minutes. It did nearly kill me though.

I've bought some decent trainers, although from the sounds of it on here, not decent enough.

I'm also increasing my distance every week and getting 3/4 jogs in in that week.

So for example, on Sunday I did 2.5 miles (I started right from basics) at around 8 minute mile pace. I'll do that again tonight and Thursday and then either Friday or Saturday if I'm feeling up for it. I'll then increase it to 3 miles on Sunday. That way I can keep increasing until I'm doing the 6.25 miles required ( I may make it 7 to give me a buffer) and then I can work on increasing the pace.

Any of the experienced runners tell me if I'm doing anything wrong, or does that sound ok?

I have just started running, applying for the RAF soon so need to be able to run 1.5 mile in 11 minutes-ish. I normally get to a mile in 8 minutes and then decide against doing the other half a mile as my left calf starts to hurt, dont think I stretch enough. Helps to quit smoking though!

Is 10k a good race for a beginner to be training for?
Yes - perfect, I'd say.

There are various "pre-planned" 10K training programmes on the web, and Runners World magazine usually has something of the sort. But ultimately everybody finds a different schedule.

I run a good 10k lap 5 times a week - same lap - down a cycle track to a village and back up via the roads, slight downhill all the way to the village, and then rolling hills (best way to describe) of lots of varying gradients back home.

Good, hard work - managed to do it in 37.50 as a best, but currently (probably due to holiday recently etc!!) going in about 41-42 ish each time.

I've lost just shy of 4 stone in a year and I dont eat any less than i did before.

heart rate monitors are useful; in a typical weekly cycle some runs should be taken ‘easy’ others ‘harder’. A heart rate monitor will give you an idea how hard you are going; if you are going too hard the HRM will warn you.

I would recommend Asics myself and if you are serious and have any issues of pronation or supernation (sp) then orthothics will be essential and worth expense...

heart rate monitors are useful; in a typical weekly cycle some runs should be taken ‘easy’ others ‘harder’. A heart rate monitor will give you an idea how hard you are going; if you are going too hard the HRM will warn you.

I would recommend Asics myself and if you are serious and have any issues of pronation or supernation (sp) then orthothics will be essential and worth expense...

Someone else mentioned a HRM, said it changed the way they run completely.

I used to run with a GPS and heart rate but only so I could get an idea of how far I'd covered and a perception of effort ...Trouble with HRM as your training partner , is that if you are running at a pace you are finding hard and the HRM says you need to be running faster to get your heart rate up into the "zone" ..where do you go ? likewise I found it frustrating when it wanted me to slow down as it felt i was running too hard

if your training to run in London 2012 then fair enough , but if your running to get a bit fitter and run off a few pies then HR training probably isn't necessary

Never used a HRM myself, but one or two of my clubmates swear by them.

If you're thinking of getting a stopwatch you may as well get a GPS one. The prices have come down a lot and they're great for telling you how far you went, how long it took, and (therefore) at what speed. The fancier ones can download data into your computer and do all sorts of training analysis. Garmin seems to be the most popular brand.

Where can I find these magical watches? They sound like a good purchase. Also, I have one of those armband things for holding my ipod when I run, and I've seen these things that you put on your trainer and it sends the info to the ipod. Much like these gps watches I would imagine. Anyone got any experience of using them. I think it's a Nike pro or nike plus or nike something or other brand.

Where can I find these magical watches?

garmin forerunner is the beast you are after ... Sunnto also make some but theirs involves lots of bolt on's

check out garmins website they have a little wizard that helps you select the right device

Where can I find these magical watches?

garmin forerunner is the beast you are after ... Sunnto also make some but theirs involves lots of bolt on's

check out garmins website they have a little wizard that helps you select the right device

That the one i use (Garmin Forerunner 301)

tells you how far you've run, calories etc and you can plug it into your pc and it provides you will a detailed analysis of your run (split times etc) it also works with google earth so it provides an ariel view of the route you have run.

got mine off ebay about 18 months ago for £100

I went for a gait analysis a few years ago when traning for the London Marathon at sutton runner i think, i used to have trouble with "shin splints" a common ailment for runners. I was recommended Brookes Addiction and have stuck with these ever since.

I think with running shoes - whatever the gait analysis dudes in the shop tell you - you just have to try different ones until you find some that work for you. I've settled on Asics, but not everybody likes them.

I'm on Asics at the moment. They feel good. I didn't splash out on them, but spent about 40 quid, went for some gel ones. They've alreayd subsided a nagging knee injury. I say injury, it just hurt when I ran, and I was told that most knee and ankle problems come from shit trainers.

So they're working in that respect!

Â