Running

trimandson

Is anyone using the Nike+ iPod thing? I've been wanting one since I got my iPod but haven't gotten around to it.

Yep im using it, you need the trainers that allow you to fit the gizmo into though. Very good bit of kit for £20 well worth it, if you like tracking your progress

Is anyone using the Nike+ iPod thing? I've been wanting one since I got my iPod but haven't gotten around to it.

Yep im using it, you need the trainers that allow you to fit the gizmo into though. Very good bit of kit for £20 well worth it, if you like tracking your progress

Is the sensor too big to just sneak under the inner sole (or whatever it is called in English :)) of a non-Nike+ shoe? I saw you could buy some pouches to use on shoes that didn't have the little groove that fits the sensor.

Is the sensor too big to just sneak under the inner sole (or whatever it is called in English :)) of a non-Nike+ shoe? I saw you could buy some pouches to use on shoes that didn't have the little groove that fits the sensor.

I would say the sensor is too big, just to slip under a regular insole, however if they sell insoles that have a cut out then maybe?? Just need to be careful your not altering the fit of the shoe?!

As Nick pointed out earlier; hydration is vital.
Well yes, but TBH only when you start getting much over ten miles or so.

was going to say / ask something similar... I've never taken on fluids whilst running .. but i used to run about 7 miles at a time max.. for me taking in fluids whilst running would be a an unwelcome distraction and more than likely result in me doing a Radcliffe on the side of the road ...

I've signed up for the Edinburgh Marathon in may next year - running for breast cancer.

Unfortunately, I've got a complete lack of general fitness due to unhealthy appetite for

too much cider. Planning to start training in January!

Is it a marathon or just a 10k? The one I'm doing is in Edinburghin May but it's only 10k

I was alluding to hydration in a broader sense; before (not too much in one go) and after. Obviously with seasonal variations. I would suggest that if it wasn’t the pain of carrying liquid that virtually any run over say 20 minutes and you can start to think about liquid. Having run/swim/cycled at an ok/good level in swimming and cycling I would take on fluid at a fairly regular rate; small amounts, but enough. Obviously in these its easy; liquid at the end of the pool, liquid on the bike. Its well known that by the time you want to start taking on liquid its already too late [cue aload of sport research]. Certainly training the body to take on liquid/fuel in any activity is good.

I was alluding to hydration in a broader sense; before (not too much in one go) and after. Obviously with seasonal variations. I would suggest that if it wasn’t the pain of carrying liquid that virtually any run over say 20 minutes and you can start to think about liquid. Having run/swim/cycled at an ok/good level in swimming and cycling I would take on fluid at a fairly regular rate; small amounts, but enough. Obviously in these its easy; liquid at the end of the pool, liquid on the bike. Its well known that by the time you want to start taking on liquid its already too late [cue aload of sport research]. Certainly training the body to take on liquid/fuel in any activity is good.

Yeah, that's fair enough. You shouldn't start any activity if your fluid levels aren't topped up. Some people worry that they'll be busting for a piss on their run, but I find the urge goes away very quickly once you get going.

But I get a bit exasperated with people who think there should be drink stations on a 10K race - there is really no need. If you think there is, carry a bottle; peoples' metabolisms vary I guess, but I still say it's more psychological than anything. Up in the half-marathon and upwards distances though, rehydration DOES become essential. As Nick says, camelbacks (water bag backpacks with a drinking tube) are good, but I just carry a bottle in a "holster" arrangement.

I agree it seems strange that one would need drink stations on a 10K, but I guess weather conditions are dependant.

Not a big fan of Lucozade sport, but those pouch like bottles seem to be pretty easy to carry around.

I think its post the run when you really need to drink. People often go for a run, and think as soon as they stop running they can relax. Infact its the post run ritual that seems the most vital; rehydration/stretch, etc. To think I used to run 15 miles, sit down, turn on the tv and have a beer, beggers belief!!!

I've signed up for the Edinburgh Marathon in may next year - running for breast cancer.

Unfortunately, I've got a complete lack of general fitness due to unhealthy appetite for

too much cider. Planning to start training in January!

Is it a marathon or just a 10k? The one I'm doing is in Edinburghin May but it's only 10k

It's the full marathon Stevo on Sunday 31st. I missed out on the signup for the London marathon, so thought I'd give this one a go instead. I've struggled to get any of my mates to give it a go with me, so it looks like I'm running alone!

Edinburgh Marathon

Ah ok, mine's on the first Bank Holiday weekend. Think I'll see how that 10k one goes and if it goes well i think I'll try and push on. I'd love to be able to run a marathon someday. And I mean run it, not walk round in 8 hours!

Ah ok, mine's on the first Bank Holiday weekend. Think I'll see how that 10k one goes and if it goes well i think I'll try and push on. I'd love to be able to run a marathon someday. And I mean run it, not walk round in 8 hours!
It's a great experience, believe me.

What, walking round in 8 hours? ;)

What, walking round in 8 hours? ;)

As to that I wouldn't know. I managed it in 3h 39m (a l-o-o-o-n-g time ago!)

I would say the sensor is too big, just to slip under a regular insole, however if they sell insoles that have a cut out then maybe?? Just need to be careful your not altering the fit of the shoe?!

Thanks, good to know. I might just go for the sensor pouch then. If I don't get a Nike+ for Christmas I'll buy one. :)

• 1 month later...

Recently discovered the joys of running, i love it!

Dont like these rest day things you have to do though :(

Got my shoes fitted in the local running shop and finding nike plus very handy.

Doing on average 5/6k at the moment taking about half hour. Working upto doing 10k race at the end of March.

Are rest days really that important if i'm not feeling tired, i just want to go again; obviously i dont want to injure myself.

Whats this about ice baths are they worth it or only after super long runs and i shouldn't worry?

Â