Time to leave the EU ?

World_Domination

EU is costing Britain £106K a MINUTE

The European Union is costing Britain a staggering £106,000 a minute, a think-tank has revealed.

As the UK teeters on the brink of what experts predict will be the most serious financial crisis since the Great Depression, the Government has surrendered £55.8billion to Brussels this year.

That is equivalent to paying a whopping £900 for every man, woman and child in the country.

Cutting back on payments to the EU could fund a 6p cut in income tax, according to a hard-hitting report by the Eurosceptic Bruges Group.

link to telegraph

This film is worth a watch

Britain on the Brink link to disclosetv.com

EU is costing Britain £106K a MINUTE

The European Union is costing Britain a staggering £106,000 a minute, a think-tank has revealed.

As the UK teeters on the brink of what experts predict will be the most serious financial crisis since the Great Depression, the Government has surrendered £55.8billion to Brussels this year.

That is equivalent to paying a whopping £900 for every man, woman and child in the country.

Cutting back on payments to the EU could fund a 6p cut in income tax, according to a hard-hitting report by the Eurosceptic Bruges Group.

link to telegraph

This film is worth a watch

Britain on the Brink link to disclosetv.com

I see the the report came from an independet source then ??

The EU is fast becoming an unattractive option. I think they have lost the run of themselves. Trying to get France and Cyprus onto a level playing field was not part of the scheme when it was first brought out. Giving third country nationals residence if they've been an asylum seeker for five years was not part of it. Nursing 10 states to prosperity was not part of it either.

It was a trade agreement and a way of ensuring former enemies were now all batting for the same team.

I wouldn't leave, but I think in a GLOBAL RECESSION, it should be everyone for themselves.

**** Macedonia

I wouldn't leave, but I think in a GLOBAL RECESSION, it should be everyone for themselves.

So a global problem requires national solutions? I don't get it.

And you're right. The EU has changed and drastically so. Only I think it has changed for the better. More unity and more solidarity can only be described as a good thing in my book.

**** the nation state :)

So a global problem requires national solutions? I don't get it.

And you're right. The EU has changed and drastically so. Only I think it has changed for the better. More unity and more solidarity can only be described as a good thing in my book.

**** the nation state :)

Unity and solidarity is one thing, but equality? Giving every one in the Europe the same rights, just because they are in Europe? You say why shouldn't the 10 new states be allowed the same concessions as Ireland was 30 years ago?

I say the world was different then. We were in from the start and were afforded a long long time to get up to scratch. The 10 new accession states are expected to be on the sma epage within less than ten years. If we're allowing every Tom, Dick and Harry in, why not let in people who really need the influence of a higher power in their country, where's my European and African Union?

The European Neighbourhood Policy delivered Unity. It delivered an EU that was safe, while some of those involved were given the carrot of EU membership if they played nice. It seems as if we have taken the carrot out of the oven a bit too soon and the countries are half-baked.

The recession, which is getting worse the more we talk about it, has given the new Member states a chance to keep their heads above the water at the expense of the original member states. This is all well and good, but if we are going to help countries keep their head above water at our expense, why not spread the wealth all over the world. Those guys over in Haiti could do with a leg up, while DRC is gasping for air.

I say lets hold onto our funds for the next while. You'd never know when we might be stuck ourselves.

As a cosmopolitan in ideology, I'd be all in favour of a Global Union if that's what you're seeking. We have to take one step at a time, though, and in my book regionalism is a great deal better than nationalism (even in the most liberal sense of the word).

As a cosmopolitan in ideology, I'd be all in favour of a Global Union if that's what you're seeking. We have to take one step at a time, though, and in my book regionalism is a great deal better than nationalism (even in the most liberal sense of the word).

We disagree on the regionalism/nationalism score, yet I am in favour of a Global Union. I just don't see it happening prior to any global catastrophe which forces us to 'come together', as the famous song goes.

We've tried to take a huge step forward and been kicked back almost to the starting line, where we see posts like this asking whether EU membership is still favourable and Italy apparently on the brink of quitting the Euro.

Funnily enough I literally just finished an essay on the European Union. It's hard to get your head around quite how much of a complex entity it is, and how many issues are facing it at the mo, or quite how little direction it has. It hasn't a clue of what it wants to be and that's one of it's massive problems.

Having said that, I don't think it's time for us to leave it. In times of crisis it's already been shown that nations will leave it on the back bruner and break ranks to sort their problems out, like Ireland has done recently to save it's banks.

I also find yillans comments on 'bringing 10 states to prosperity' slightly hypocritical because Britain has took a fair bit out of it in the past and it's helped us. It seems somewhat wrong that we take that aid then balk at reciprocating the act later on. and if you want to argue the line that is wasn't initially made to various things, well... in the first place we weren't in mind when it was made.

We disagree on the regionalism/nationalism score, yet I am in favour of a Global Union. I just don't see it happening prior to any global catastrophe which forces us to 'come together', as the famous song goes.

Well it won't happen if we don't try will it? And it definitely won't be easy, so we can't just give up.

We've tried to take a huge step forward and been kicked back almost to the starting line, where we see posts like this asking whether EU membership is still favourable and Italy apparently on the brink of quitting the Euro.

Despite Berlusconi's liability, I don't think Italy would actually go through with that. Even if that were the case, all the more reason to keep the EU strong, imo. Don't let the quitters and the doubters ruin a good idea. Time to show determination and leadership.

If you don't think regionalism is better than nationalism, then that's fair and I can understand that point of view. Though like you said in another thread, we are in disagreement. Let's leave it there.

I voted 'no'. For so many reasons I can't be bothered to start listing them all.

That. Exactly that.

100% agree. too many reasons to list.

but what i think the European Union needs to do, is to do less, but do it better.

Cut payments right down by member states, cut red-tape, cut regulations, cut amount of people working for the EU, cut down their ambitions, cut down new member states.

Focus on overall unity, the big picture, and not get involved in every stupid little aspect of national life.

I voted 'no'. For so many reasons I can't be bothered to start listing them all.

That. Exactly that.

100% agree. too many reasons to list.

but what i think the European Union needs to do, is to do less, but do it better.

Cut payments right down by member states, cut red-tape, cut regulations, cut amount of people working for the EU, cut down their ambitions, cut down new member states.

Focus on overall unity, the big picture, and not get involved in every stupid little aspect of national life.

By the terms of the Nice Treaty it actually isn't allowed to expand anymore because the institutions of the EU can't really handle it (although we will have a slight expansion soon, because one of the Netherlands colonies has chosen to integrate with the Netherlands, but that would just make the territory bigger. Not adding members). Which is kinda what Lisbon was about actually, sorting it out so it'd be more efficient. Amongst other things.

I'm not sure the rest of what you want is possible though. The EU has started on this road to... well, who knows, and I'm fairly sure they won't turn the clock back to cut down what it can do.

Yes yes yes

the theory was that it was creating a large European free trade area .. you can argue about that forever I guess .. but i seem to recall British Beef being banned from France for 2 1/2 year , hardly free trade and indeed it was ruled unlawful ... but nothing was done

however the EU has gone beyond free trade in my eyes , it also makes laws which are imposed on the UK which can not be altered by parliament, it takes billions of pounds each year from tax payers and redistributes it to continental Europe and at no time have we been asked whether we wanted such a superstate

Arguably if the money we give to the EU had been spent on public services in this countrythere is no question that we would be better off.

Â