economic situation is dire

ianrobo1

RBS are a disgrace and so is Cameron for allowing this

Quite frankly, you could have put a bunch of school leavers in to run RBS over the last 5 years and they would have done no worse than the muppets who took the bank down

It wasn’t on Cameron’s watch that the damage was done? Didn’t Alex Salmond encourage the disastrous takover of ABN Amro? Who have Goodwin the knighthood?

I was referring to Cameron sanctioning the latest round of bonuses, they only stopped Sir Phillips and Hesters I think

Bankers further down the tree were still getting 6 figure bonuses at what is effectively a Public company

I was referring to Cameron sanctioning the latest round of bonuses, they only stopped Sir Phillips and Hesters I think

Bankers further down the tree were still getting 6 figure bonuses at what is effectively a Public company

Just claw it back from them, grab assets and sell them off. They do this to drug dealers, their customers choose to deal with them. Tax payers don't get the option to choose so this is actually worse and more criminal if you ask me.

Lloyds losses for the year £3.54 billion

Impressive stuff, £350m bonuses all round

my mums works for Lloyds earning £15k a year, and she was told last week that she being made redundant (along with most of her department).

my mums works for Lloyds earning £15k a year, and she was told last week that she being made redundant (along with most of her department).

Same here - both my brother and mum worked for RBS. My brother was made redundant last month and my mum was supposed to lose her job last November. Fortunately they changed their minds about my mum and she's still there. She now tells me they're recruiting temporary staff to fill in for the people they made redundant...

Fortunately they changed their minds about my mum and she's still there. She now tells me they're recruiting temporary staff to fill in for the people they made redundant...

All part of the general environment that this arsehole of a Gvmt want to create. Temp's are easy to hire and fire, don't come with any need for benefits, are typically off unemployment figures and typically will be on low wages.

To hear Cameron defending the people who are some of the causes of the major problems we now face was sickening yesterday. No real surprise though as they are the ones that he has traditionally been "in bed" with throughout his life and they are the ones that contribute millions to his political party.

Same here - both my brother and mum worked for RBS. My brother was made redundant last month and my mum was supposed to lose her job last November. Fortunately they changed their minds about my mum and she's still there. She now tells me they're recruiting temporary staff to fill in for the people they made redundant...

Maybe they'll recruit 'work experience' staff.

No worries, we spend £30000 renting fig trees?

Speaker Bercow 'horrified' at MPs' £30,000 plant bill

Portcullis House, adjacent to the House of Commons, is used by many MPs

Continue reading the main story

Related Stories

Portcullis logo 'not welcoming'

Why MPs whinge about their chips

Commons Speaker John Bercow has said he was "horrified" to learn the taxpayer is paying £30,000 a year to rent 12 fig trees in a building used by MPs.

Mr Bercow told the House magazine the contract for the plants - in the atrium of Portcullis House - had been in place since 2001 and should be renegotiated.

The public would think they were being "fleeced", he said, and that MPs were living in a "another universe".

Portcullis House has been home to MPs' offices and committee rooms since 2001.

The fig plants are used to provide shade in the atrium of the building, which MPs use to hold meetings with constituents and other visitors.

'Fleeced'

Mr Bercow, who chairs the committee responsible for running the parliamentary estate, said the cost of the contract for renting the plants and maintaining them could not be justified.

"I was horrified by it. Inevitably and understandably it will cause people out there to think these people are living in another universe.

"I think the contract should absolutely be revisited. If we are going to have trees, they absolutely shouldn't be trees that cause us to fleece the taxpayer in this way, and that must change at the earliest opportunity."

The cost of the trees' rental was publicised earlier this month following a Freedom of Information request submitted by the Taxpayers' Alliance pressure group.

In the interview, the Speaker also suggested autumn party conferences should be held over the weekend, allowing the Commons to sit throughout September.

At the moment, the Commons goes into recess for nearly a month from the middle of September while the Lib Dem, Labour and Conservative Party conferences are held.

MPs agreed to shorten their summer break a couple of years ago, returning to Westminster in early September for about two weeks ahead of the conference season.

But Mr Bercow, formerly a Conservative MP, said most people would expect to be at work in September unless they were on annual leave and MPs should be no different.

"I think a lot of our electorate think, given that the MPs finished in the latter part of July, why are they not back at their place of work undertaking their scrutiny, standing up for our interests, debating our concerns, in September? They should be. And frankly I agree with that."

Do you think the fight yesterday was about that?

If you stopped all bonuses what would happen? Basically we are damned if we do and damned if we don’t. Its a public company, but at the same time we don’t want it to be public company, and by eventually returning it to profitability it will become a private company. Whilst its easy to say no to all bonuses, enough city institutions will continue to pay them, and therefore will RBS lose all its good staff as well as its bad ones?

If for example a member of RBS does an exceptional job, and say raises £500 million in a year, should he be rewarded or not?

Unfortunately we can’t live in a ‘perfect’ world where no one get bonuses, and therefore the financial industry will continue to give them, and even those companies that are ‘public’ companies will have to give them. Personally I think getting rid of all bonuses for these public banks, would in the end cost us more than if we got rid of them. Sad but true.

RBS lose all its good staff as well as its bad ones?

I'd happily take that chance. Let them go, preferably abroad.

Like I say, a bunch of novices, school leavers even couldn't have done any worse over the last 5 years running RBS.

Like I say, a bunch of novices, school leavers even couldn't have done any worse over the last 5 years running RBS.

And who replaces them? And what happens when these people don’t stem the losses, which you and I pay for? And who will work for no bonuses?

It's really not that difficult, what saying is, given some basic training, the layman off the street or graduates could have done and still can do a better job than some of these grossly overpaid and protected City bankers

To hear Cameron defending the people who are some of the causes of the major problems we now face was sickening yesterday.

Cameron was defending Brown and Darling ? :shock:

As you well know Tony, but are afraid to admit in public, some of the biggest causes for the problems were / are the finance sector. Cameron and Gideon refuse point blank to condemn them in any preferring to attack targets like the lower paid, public sector and the NHS. His timing yesterday was crass at best, completely vindictive more like. On a day when more and more job losses in public sector were happening, wages being cut and more and more attacks on the NHS, he then starts moaning because people are not happy with the financial sector still claiming massive bonus. Plus he refuses to do anything about others in the City saying we should applaud them.

The man is a complete and utter clearing in the woods of the highest order. He is frankly one of the most obnoxious individuals ever to set foot in any sort of parliamentary office

Biggest myth going, supported by the Gvmt shamefully also.

Banks would not lose these people to jobs abroad, are we really saying that the only reason they stay is because arseholes like Cameron and Gideon let them receive massive bonus and very well paid salaries? If that had an ounce of truth then let the **** walk out of this country and see if they can get equal salaries abroad.

Biggest myth going, supported by the Gvmt shamefully also.

Banks would not lose these people to jobs abroad, are we really saying that the only reason they stay is because arseholes like Cameron and Gideon let them receive massive bonus and very well paid salaries? If that had an ounce of truth then let the **** walk out of this country and see if they can get equal salaries abroad.

why would they move abroad? Say you were doing a good job at RBS. Say you were paid £150000 and made a £200000 bonus. You were making for the company and ultimately the shareholders £50 million a year. Suddenly they said no bonus. All you would do is move to another job in the city with a company paying bonuses?

Â