Would you shake Maradona's hand?

PompeyVillan

Would you shake la mano de Dios?  

91 members have voted

1. 1. Would you shake la mano de Dios?

• Yes.
    • No.
    • I would french kiss him (the scotch option).

Undoubtedly, as he was the greatest footballer I have ever seen and probably the best ever World Cup performer for his efforts in '86.

Talkshite have been going off on one about him for days but the simple fact is that the England captain, John Terry, is a cheat. Moreover his cheating is sponsored by his association who overturned his red card for cheating at Man City earlier in the season.

The England vice-captain also a cheat, falling over regularly and uses his 'star' status to bully referees into giving him decisions.

The game is littered with cheats, including a number of English ones, none of whom are fit to lace Mr Maradona's boots

Id only shake his hand to pull him towards me before I nutted him.

superb! :lol: :winkold:

voted no.

probably one of, if niot the, most high profile cheats out there today.

and he prospered because of his cheating.

Cheats never prosper? they did in that game.

and when someone as high profile and talented as maradona can show that cheats can get away with it in football, more emulate him.

Maradonna spent whatever many years playing genius football at a level so far above the rest, while all the time normal players were trying to kick lumps out of him, because they couldn't stop him any other way. They cheated too, and they didn't handball, they tried to hurt.

Never thought of it like that. Nicely put.

And yes, I'd shake his hand, I'm over it now. I can't beleive how many people on here weren't born when the Hand of God happened :(

To be fair, I can't see Butcher getting near enough to him to shake his hand. He certainly didn't for that second goal :lol:

Yes - not because the HoG put England out etc - but because of his status as a footballer.

If an English player had done that, you'd all feel a hell of a lot different - Neil Back cheated for Leicester right under his posts in the final of the European Cup against Munster, got away with it, when he tapped the ball down on scrum put in. Is he villified amongst the English Rugby press along the same lines as Maradona is for the English football press? No - reason being, English Rugby benefited from that, where-as of course English football got crushed by Maradona.

I'd think the referee should be the focus of England's disappointment, he should have picked up Maradona's handball - in my opinion Maradona did what I'd want any player to do in the situation - do whatever it takes to win the game, and if you get away with it, go beyond the ideals of doing it fairly.

Winning by cheating is far far greater (espeically in a World Cup semi final) than losing gracefully.

Undoubtedly, as he was the greatest footballer I have ever seen and probably the best ever World Cup performer for his efforts in '86.

Talkshite have been going off on one about him for days but the simple fact is that the England captain, John Terry, is a cheat. Moreover his cheating is sponsored by his association who overturned his red card for cheating at Man City earlier in the season.

The England vice-captain also a cheat, falling over regularly and uses his 'star' status to bully referees into giving him decisions.

The game is littered with cheats, including a number of English ones, none of whom are fit to lace Mr Maradona's boots

so that makes cheating allright does it? just because the english cheat how does that detract from the fact he cheated.

so that makes cheating allright does it? just because the english cheat how does that detract from the fact he cheated.

This is professional sport - not a kick about with mates.

Winning is ALL that matters in professional sport - so therefore winning by cheating > losing because didnt take the opportunity to cheat

Winning by cheating is far far greater (espeically in a World Cup semi final) than losing gracefully.

i respectfully disagree.

You'd rather Villa lose an FA Cup semi final because one of our players didnt take an opportunity like Diego did, than win it with a similar sort of goal?

as I would be above pettiness

You're on a yellow, watch your step - CV

[On topic] yes i would shake Maradona's hand because what he did really doesn't bother me in the slightest, he tried something outrageous and got lucky, that doesn't make him a bad person, i don't agree that he's the "greatest player ever" but his contribution to the game far outways that one incident against England imo.

i respectfully disagree.

You'd rather Villa lose an FA Cup semi final because one of our players didnt take an opportunity like Diego did, than win it with a similar sort of goal?

well yes.

I feel embarrased when any of our players deliberately and obviosuly and intentionnaly cheat.

Ash is occassionally guilty of this, in the way that Ronaldo sometimes is for Utd.

something as blatant as a handball into the goal, i would not be happy with, no.

It would devalue the win, for me.

i respectfully disagree.

well yes.

I feel embarrased when any of our players deliberately and obviosuly and intentionnaly cheat.

Ash is occassionally guilty of this, in the way that Ronaldo sometimes is for Utd.

something as blatant as a handball into the goal, i would not be happy with, no.

It would devalue the win, for me.

I wouldnt care, I'm sure there is something you could look at from our European win in 82 that should have meant we didnt go through in some round and therefore shouldnt have won it.

The ideal is winning fairly and honestly, but the important part of that is the winning, rather than being fair and honest.

In a heartbeat. Even though I cheered England and was furious that night, he was still the best I've ever seen. A head above the Ronaldos and Messis of today. I never defend cheating like that but that was his only fault that time. And that effedrine beföre the WC 94. But I felt at bit sorry for him at the time. As said, I don't defend cheating, but it was obvious that he tried to get back because he couldn't live without it. Should never had taken effedrine, mind you. But I didn't want the best to leave the stage at such manner.

But I can understand Butchers anger with him. he was directly affected by that hand. I would've been furious too.

Nope, just the whipped up 'holier than thou' English media outrage extremely hypocritical

Time to move on from 1986, I think, and remember Maradona for being a sensational player. I am sure that Pele, Best, Eusebio, et al conned referees from time to time - doesn't stop people admiring them for being the quality players that they were.