Are you for or against death penalty?

Pelle

yes or no to death penalty?  

89 members have voted

1. 1. yes or no to death penalty?

• No
    • Yes
    • Undecided

I don't have a system, I really don't, but IF a flawless system could be found then the death penalty could be a punishment, albeit a final one for the extremely unrepentant and especially violent criminals... I know it's an easy way out for the criminal, but why should the innocent have to pay to support said criminal for a potential 60 - 80 years in prison, surely that penalising the innocent?

Did anyone see the Michael Portillo progamme where he 'tested' out different methods of execution? Interesting which one he found out to be the most 'pleasant'.

Yeah. It was that programme that prompted my question really. He reckoned the high altitude capsule thing was the way forward didn't he?

Did anyone see the Michael Portillo progamme where he 'tested' out different methods of execution? Interesting which one he found out to be the most 'pleasant'.

Yeah. It was that programme that prompted my question really. He reckoned the high altitude capsule thing was the way forward didn't he?

Yeah, hypoxia? Weird how that caused euphoria right before death, might have another look at that later.

once we have decided someone must die for there crime, surely it doesn't really matter how they die.

just do it in the quickest, cheapest & humane way possible.

i suppose the 'nicest' way would be to give general anethistic, and then lethal injection whilst they were under. or something like that.

chopping the head off is supposed to be very quick, so some automated head-chopping machine could be ok.

electric chair - yeah, i suppose.

maybe, you have a system where the criminal can choose his method of death.... otherwise we'll be breaching his human rights ... hahaha.... oh yeah, you lost your human rights when you comitted that crime, scumbag!

It would be very interesting to see if the anti-death penalty voters would change their opinion if it was their child or loved one that was killed by some serial offender?

Yes because someone talking from a completely emotive standpoint would obviously be correct and those talking from a rational detatched one incorrect

I think that if life meant LIFE in this country, there'd be far less people advocating the death penalty.

that is true. that may make me think about changing my mind.

also, if prisons meant no frills that would go some way to convincing me.

its because prison is such a non-deterrent & non-punishment, that we are looking for the ultimate punishment.

just do it in the quickest, cheapest & humane way possible.

Why do you think it needs to be humane?

mykeyb wrote:

It would be very interesting to see if the anti-death penalty voters would change their opinion if it was their child or loved one that was killed by some serial offender?

Yep. Opinions on justice should be entirely meted out by the wronged. Should lawmakers all be crime victims? How sensible. What about those, and there are many,who forgive the murderer? Are they wrong? Have you had any loved one's killed by a serial offender (not sure what difference the serial bit makes)? If no, going on your logic, why should we take notice of your opinion?

It would also be interesting to see if the pro-death pentalty voters would change their opinion if they were the ones on the unfortunate end of a miscarriage of justice.

It would also be interesting to see if the pro-death pentalty voters would change their opinion if they were the ones on the unfortunate end of a miscarriage of justice.

I don't disagree which is a exactly why I am on the fence, until a flawless judicial system can be created, it's isn't feasible, either morally or sanely.

Unless I am wrong if found guilty you would not be taken from court and hung by the neck the next day.

All the people who arent sure or against the death penalty are better people than I. Id prefer it if the murdering scum had their dying breathe snatched from them like they did to their victims.

Hanging. Cheap, instant and painless if done correctly. I wouldn't go in for the more exotic suggestions because the penalty would be losing your life and should be done in the most humane way possible. And no, I don't see that as a contradiction before it's jumped on.

I think Mike has put it best. That's exactly what I meant. I think that post was on the 4th page.

Actually, I don't think decpicating is more inhuman than let's the chair is. Cutting ones head off is pretty quick done and cause no pain. If you don't do it with a saw, or something like that. IF we send someone to death I'd say the way where they first put the offendant to sleep and then give him a deadly injection is the best way.

Incidentally, I'm more for giving death penalties to those who has abused and raped kids than murderers. But I'm not for that either. Just lock them up for life. Isolate them.

I wonder if you have the same system in UK as we have. Most people here think that a life sentence in Sweden in fact has a time limit on 12 years. It hasn't. For life is meant to be just that, for life. But you have the chance to get pardoned and that happens far too often and probably mostly after 12 years. I think the one who's been in jail for the longest time and is still in there has been there for 23 or 24 years. And long may it continue. Matthias Flinck is a infamous murderer who in the early 90's was working as a military and one day lost his mind and shot 7 people with an AK4 or AK5 and he recently asked for his sentence to get a time limit but was rejected. Good.

I wonder if you have the same system in UK as we have. Most people here think that a life sentence in Sweden in fact has a time limit on 12 years.

I believe the way it works here is that someone is given a life sentence (or an IPP - Imprisonment for Public Protection ) and a minimum term of x years (which is their tariff).

From a UK perspective I am in favour, simply because the human rights act makes our penal system cushy.

With the advance in DNA testing we can prove guilt more easily, and violent murderers should be dispatched.

This would then free up places in the prison system to effectively punish other criminals.

A re-introduction of capital punishment should be in tandem with a reintroduction of corporal punishment, so that those poor lambs who like to smash things (and people) up on a Saturday night get short, sharp retribution.

Tell me that wouldn't be a deterrent.

can you prove it would be TT ?

how about the parents of this 'poor lambs' who smash things up they would have had corporal piunishment if the same age as me, surely it had a positive effect on them ?

there is no proof at all that capitial punishment is a deterrent to the most serious forms of crime

Â