Pelle

yes or no to death penalty?  

89 members have voted

1. 1. yes or no to death penalty?

• No
    • Yes
    • Undecided

one thing left is the revenge factor and that does no one any good

an awful lot of people favour it for that very reason Ian.

and yet it's the main reason i'm against it .....

May I suggest those for the death penalty watch the documentary called "14 Days in May". Not saying it'll change your mind...but it is an extraordinary piece of film.

Personally I'm against capital punishment. Whilst the system is run by humans, there is always the risk of executing the innocent.

(remember he knew what he was doing and where he would end up).....

that to me is the key I don't actually believe for one second he though he would get captured at the point of the crime

nor many others, they always think that they will get away with it

Personally I'm against capital punishment. Whilst the system is run by humans, there is always the risk of executing the innocent.

and whilst murderers are allowed to get away with it, 100's of innocents are murdered on our streets instead.

i vote for the life of my family, my friends & the other innocent people in this world, against the life of a murderer.

and as for money it would cost as much to hang someone then to keep them because of the numerous legal fees that would go on

Taking Huntley as an example, 35 years at the cost of 'X' tens of thousands per year to keep him in jail wouldn't be offset by the fees of a few anmbulance chasing Phil Shiner types.

as for any deterrent effect it has, I doubt it would have stopped Huntley or child P's killers
Because you doubt it doesn't mean you are correct, as the deterrent was not available we'll never know.

so no detterent, does nto save money one thing left is the revenge factor and that does no one any good

Your opinion is fine obviously but don't state it as fact when it isn't, please.

and whilst murderers are allowed to get away with it, 100's of innocents are murdered on our streets instead.

i vote for the life of my family, my friends & the other innocent people in this world, against the life of a murderer.

most murderers are caught and put away ffor life, most murders are committed by someone the victim knows

100's of innocents are murdered on our streets instead.

do you write for the Sun or Daily Heil ?

that is clearly not true maybe one or two cases, maybe but how many murders are comitted those released from a murder sentence ?

How much does it cost to keep a prisoner in isolation (or max sec) for 25 years for the crime they commit?

They're kept away from other criminals because of the fear of what might happen to them, despite THEM being the one who has committed the horrendous act.

Why should everyone have to pay to keep this scum in existence? Cut off their heads.

Well, I doubt thewt any mass murderer, or many murderers at all have had any time of hesitating of doing what they did cause they feared being executed for it. I doubt they plan to being caught at all, so to speak. Penalties of course are there for frighten people off from committing crimes, but when it comes to such heavy crimes it's something else. Especially in the heat of the moment I doubt the death penalty is on their minds. And the history somewhat shows that. USA have death penalty, still they kill each other left, right and centre. Almost.

How would murderers "get away with it"? I did not advocate releasing murderers from prison. In fact, my views on prison are, probably, very similar to yours. Prison should be hard and sentences long or, in some cases, indefinate.

I'd say yes. if there's no doubt they are guilty and it's a crime worthy of it then I think it would be a huge deterrent.

Also if I was in charge then Prisons would be hell on earth, which would also be a deterrent.

that is clearly not true maybe one or two cases, maybe but how many murders are comitted those released from a murder sentence ?

i meant that it would deter people from carrying out these crimes.

it wouldn't stop all murders, but i would bet on the fact it would stop a good proportion.

if the law was that murder automatically meant the death sentence, after the first few well-publicised cases, it would make people think. maybe televise the death, for added shock-horror. show the video in school to 16 year olds.

10 years hard labour for carrying a gun.

5 years hard labour for carrying a knife.

death penalty for (1st degree) murder.

it wouldn't solve the violent crime-problem, but it would be the first step towards it.

if the law was that murder automatically meant the death sentence, after the first few well-publicised cases, it would make people think. maybe televise the death, for added shock-horror. show the video in school to 16 year olds.

I doubt that would stop anything. It's like telling kids they can't do this or that cause it's dangerous. they'll always think it wouldn't happen to them and they're smarter than that. Or try to get people to quit smoking by showing horror pictures. It simply doesn't help.

How would murderers "get away with it"? I did not advocate releasing murderers from prison. In fact, my views on prison are, probably, very similar to yours. Prison should be hard and sentences long or, in some cases, indefinate.

the current average sentence for murder is about 12 years. to me, thats getting away with it.

but yeah, i agree with you, if prison was hell on earth, and murderers got life (ie: 100 years sentence with no chance of parole), then the death penalty would be less relevant.

also, all criminals should get billed for their time in prison. why should we pay for their crimes? let them pay for it themselves.

Wait a minute here - you cant say the US because the US also have the firearms laws that are different to our own.

I would certainly think that being allowed to own and operate your own weapon is more of an influence on the murder rate than getting a few volts up your arse 20 years after being convicted for it....

10 years hard labour for carrying a gun.

5 years hard labour for carrying a knife.

death penalty for (1st degree) murder.

it wouldn't solve the violent crime-problem, but it would be the first step towards it.

None of these proposals deal with the possibility of executing the innocent. A mandatory death sentence increases the probablity of such an event.

Would you be prepared to hang for a murder you did not commit in order to deter others from murdering?

as for any deterrent effect it has, I doubt it would have stopped Huntley or child P's killers
Because you doubt it doesn't mean you are correct, as the deterrent was not available we'll never know.

we do knwo though

the US

stats show the murder rate in those states with or without captial punishment is little difference and the death penalty hardly stops murders over there

whereas a state with no captial punishment NY has over the years through policing methods had a constant decline in the murder rate

Ian, you say 'yes we do know' and go on to quote stuff from America. We don't live in America or have a population that packs more firepower than the 3rd Soviet Shock Army.

You're not just comparing apples to oranges you're comparing apples to the moon and expecting to get a result that makes sense. It doesn't.

Â