Champions League 2024/25

maqroll

1 hour ago, viivvaa66 said:

Barcelona will end up in pot 2, because the winner of the Europa League final will be moved into pot 1, most likely Bayer Leverkusen. 

Farkkk I hope we don’t get Dinamo in our schedule! 🥴🤣

Money will be split four ways:

30% in performance-related fees,

30% in a club’s 10-year coefficient calculation.

25% of total revenues in participation fees,

15% for a ‘market pool’ (the value of TV rights sold in a club’s country)

https://www.nytimes.com/athletic/5476579/2024/05/14/aston-villa-champions-league-finances/ (paywalled)

30% of the prize money is basically given to the historic clubs, Villa get virtually nothing from this pot. 

However, all the English clubs do very well in the TV rights section (worth 15%).

If we want the serious money, we basically need to qualify to the first knock-our round ie: finish top 8 or finish 9-24 and win the play-off round.

There was talk yesterday on a podcast that some Champions League games will be played on a Thursday as well next year due to the new format? I’m guessing due to TV rights etc, they can’t squeeze them all in over two days? Not sure if that talk has any truth to it though.

2 hours ago, Zhan_Zhuang said:

I'd love Villa to get that dirty horrible team from Glasgow and give them a hiding like we did Hibs.

I've known so many of their fans over the years and they absolutely disgust me; they genuinely think they are the most important team on the planet.

Which one? 🤣

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, ferguson1 said:

There was talk yesterday on a podcast that some Champions League games will be played on a Thursday as well next year due to the new format? I’m guessing due to TV rights etc, they can’t squeeze them all in over two days? Not sure if that talk has any truth to it though.

A couple of people have posted the schedule up earlier in the thread and it just has 2 game days each week, which must be Tuesday and Wednesday I'd have thought.

• Thanks 1

Just now, sharkyvilla said:

A couple of people have posted the schedule up earlier in the thread and it just has 2 game days each week, which must be Tuesday and Wednesday I'd have thought.

Ah ok, thanks. Probably just rumour then. I did think it strange, as would surely affect TV audiences for Europa and Conference League games. 

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Stevo985 said:

Do I think Newcastle fans think it was memorable playing 3 of the biggest clubs in Europe, including a 4-1 victory against PSG, despite finishing bottom of their group.

Yes. Absolutely. 

You're sounding a bit like one of those weirdos who enjoy relegation because they can "tick another ground off their list".

• Haha 2

Well, it's been a few days and I still can't quite wrap my head around it. Aston Villa in the Champions League! Madness!

Just so you are all fully aware, out of blind superstition, I refused to enter the 'Race for the Champions League' thread all season, so obviously this is all down to me, feel free to thank me in whichever way you see fit. 

I honestly never thought I'd see the day, the way money has overrun football, and the legislation brought in to protect those at the top, it just seemed impossible to compete on a level footing, I didn't think it was possible any more.

There's been 32 completed seasons since the Premier League began in 1992, and 105 qualification available, in that time only 11 different teams have qualified for the Champions League, we've just added ourselves to that list. Bonkers.

Unai Emery and his team are a bunch of geniuses, pass it on.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, ferguson1 said:

Ah ok, thanks. Probably just rumour then. I did think it strange, as would surely affect TV audiences for Europa and Conference League games. 

I guess they may play more games in the early evening slot than last year for TV purposes.  

1 hour ago, Clarry said:

You're sounding a bit like one of those weirdos who enjoy relegation because they can "tick another ground off their list".

Basically the opposite of what I’m saying to be honest

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, ferguson1 said:

There will be played Champions League on one Thursday, 19th September. Each of the 3 UEFA completions will have their own special week, where the two other competitions aren’t played. For CL that week is the 17th to 19th September.  The week after 25th to 26th September is for Europa League only. And Conference League get their dedicated week on 19th December.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

10 hours ago, ferguson1 said:

Thank you for this. Just one quick question, are we 100% sure that we can’t face another Premier League side? 

UEFA said they didn't like it, but they'll have to go along with it.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

11 hours ago, viivvaa66 said:

Barcelona will end up in pot 2, because the winner of the Europa League final will be moved into pot 1, most likely Bayer Leverkusen. 

I don’t think that’s true anymore. Almost certain they changed it to being only coefficient based for who is in each pot. Given the pot you’re in doesn’t give you a more favourable draw anymore I guess they figured there was no need to reserve two spots in pot one for the CL and EL winners. 

46 minutes ago, GlobalVillan said:

So we can face another PL side? Or we can't?

But seriously, I think it can't be completely ruled out - but that they are going to try and avoid it at all if possible, something like that.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, DublinVilla said:

I don’t think that’s true anymore. Almost certain they changed it to being only coefficient based for who is in each pot. Given the pot you’re in doesn’t give you a more favourable draw anymore I guess they figured there was no need to reserve two spots in pot one for the CL and EL winners. 

Yes, you are correct, only the CL winner now gets a reserved spot in pot 1.

Still Bayer Leverkusen will overtake Barcelona in the coefficient ranking as long as they don’t lose the EL final after 90 minutes. Meaning Bayer Leverkusen is most likely to end up in pot 1 and Barcelona in pot 2.

Â