Champions League 2024/25

maqroll

1 hour ago, Made In Aston said:

Yes...and we don't have the FFP headroom to do it. That's why clubs like ours can never replicate top 4 finishes. If Unai and monchi manage it then they need to be given the keys to the city and access to every villa WAG.

1 or 2 with a fee, a couple of free transfers and a punt or two on youngsters...

Posted (edited)
2 minutes ago, romavillan said:

Weird they've finished third probably and are a really good side. Atalanta will max finish 5th probably.

Think the coefficient or “European pedigree” is after the actual champions of top leagues. Might be wrong though. 

Edited by bobzy
  • Like 1

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, R.Bear said:

Who tells their kids that Villa played Real Madrid? That's the most small time shit I've ever heard. Quite frankly, the whole "that's something to tell your grandkids" narrative never actually happens. Grandkids don't give a **** who we played played 50 years ago. I never asked when I was young either.

It’s a figure of speech. I didn’t mean I’d literally Sit my kids down and tell them ffs 😂

but anyway you enjoy the game against Sturm Graz which we’d probably get 3 points from.

I’ll be looking forward to experiencing villa play Real Madrid and Bayern Munich which we could easily lose. But those are the games we should be aspiring to

Edited by Stevo985
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

It’s a figure of speech. I didn’t mean I’d literally Sit my kids down and tell them ffs 😂

but anyway you enjoy the game against Sturm Graz which we’d probably get 3 points from.

I’ll be looking forward to experiencing villa play Real Madrid and Bayern Munich which we could easily lose. But those are the games we should be aspiring to

Mix of the two for me. Would be nice to have 1 genuine European giant, but otherwise very winnable games.

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, tomav84 said:

in any competition i'd want the easiest route to the final. i'd be more than happy with leipzig from pot 1. a non league team know that they have zero chance of winning the FA cup...emery has already said his aim will be to win the CL. that's the difference.

we'd end up playing the tougher teams in the knockouts anyway, there's no avoiding them

The place has gone mad. 

Of course there’s always a chance, but if people are really looking forward to an easier route because they think we could actually win the champions league rather than looking forward to actually being in the competition then you’re getting ahead of yourselves.  

It might be another 40 years until we’re in the competition again. I hope it isn’t, but it might be. I want it to be memorable, I don’t want to draw the shit teams because we might get a bit further. 

If we manage to consistently be on the competition then it changes. But for now I’m savouring taking on the best teams in the world. I don’t really care about avoiding them because it would make our “route to the final” easier.

Edited by Stevo985

14 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

The place has gone mad. 

Of course there’s always a chance, but if people are really looking forward to an easier route because they think we could actually win the champions league rather than looking forward to actually being in the competition then you’re getting ahead of yourselves.  

It might be another 40 years until we’re in the competition again. I hope it isn’t, but it might be. I want it to be memorable, I don’t want to draw the shit teams because we might get a bit further. 

If we manage to consistently be on the competition then it changes. But for now I’m savouring taking on the best teams in the world. I don’t really care about avoiding them because it would make our “route to the final” easier.

i just want to go as far as possible. easing ourselves into it against non-elite opposition is the best chance of doing that. how do you think newcastle felt finishing bottom of their group? think that was a memorable experience for them? one that they'll be telling their grandkids about? think they 'savoured' it?

it would be much more memorable IMO getting through as one of the top 24 in the league and then having these memorable matches you speak of. maybe some of us don't just want to make up the numbers and feel like with the right fixtures we can go further in the competition (no, of course we're not going to win the thing)

• Thanks 1

Absolutely has not sunk in yet. What a moment. A feeling of euphoria that won't fade for a long time.

A couple of initial thoughts:

- We can absolutely get to the CL playoffs and knockouts next year, with a couple of giant killings along the way for good measure. I genuinely believe this. 

- We can absolutely challenge for top 4 again next season and beyond, and I sort of expect us to if we recruit well. 1 - think about how unlucky we were with key injuries this year and we still managed it. Klopp will be gone. Chelsea squad will still be a mess. United and Spurs, who tf knows. 2 - We did on merit. Our form in the previous season under Unai warranted a top 4 finish too. It seems unlikely we will drop off for several years, with him at the helm.

• Like 4

Posted (edited)
7 minutes ago, tomav84 said:

i just want to go as far as possible. easing ourselves into it against non-elite opposition is the best chance of doing that. how do you think newcastle felt finishing bottom of their group? think that was a memorable experience for them? one that they'll be telling their grandkids about? think they 'savoured' it?

Do I think Newcastle fans think it was memorable playing 3 of the biggest clubs in Europe, including a 4-1 victory against PSG, despite finishing bottom of their group.

Yes. Absolutely. 

Edited by Stevo985
  • Like 3

1 minute ago, Stevo985 said:

Yes. Absolutely. 

ok...follow up question...do you think it would've been MORE memorable for them to have had an easier group and then be knocked out by real madrid/barca/bayern in the knockout round?

3 minutes ago, tomav84 said:

ok...follow up question...do you think it would've been MORE memorable for them to have had an easier group and then be knocked out by real madrid/barca/bayern in the knockout round?

No I really don’t. 

3 minutes ago, tomav84 said:

I think it's different for different fans. If you qualify every year but can't win it you might want an easier path, but if it's the first time in decades I don't think most fans care about the path.

I'd guess that most Villa fans don't think we have the slightest chance of getting past the first knockout round. Emery on the other hand will have a plan for every single eventuality.

After 8 games we will see where we are

• Like 1

Can't see how it matters who we get drawn against. Villa will play a minimum of 8 games in Europe next season, and each of them will be an occasion. Don't play Real Madrid in October? Who cares! We might meet them in the knockouts.

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, rjenkins said:

Can't see how it matters who we get drawn against. Villa will play a minimum of 8 games in Europe next season, and each of them will be an occasion. Don't play Real Madrid in October? Who cares! We might meet them in the knockouts.

Yeah it really doesn’t matter. I just can’t get my head around waiting decades to be at the pinnacle of football and not wanting to play the giants

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

The place has gone mad. 

Not entirely sure you are right about this, but I can see a little bit of merit in what you say.

However I’ll take a fluke right through to the  final 👍🏻

I just want to reiterate... that as unlikely as it is... The same Manager got Villareal to the Champions League semi final at a club with lesser resources... Just saying...

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Hank Scorpio said:

Watch us draw a Premier league team for unexpected dullness.

UEFA try and avoid it, but it is more likely, as we will have 4 English teams in the competition.

Â