• Rogers (Ramsey 29)
    • Diaby (Bailey 78)
    • Iroegbunam (Rogers 78)
    • Digne (Moreno 78)
    • Zaniolo (Tielemans 78)
  2. 2. Manager's Performance

3. 3. Refereeing Performance

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 05/03/24 at 23:59

8 hours ago, Djemba_Villan said:

Picking up on some folks comments re: how we started second half, I think more credit needs to go to Luton too. It is a game of two teams after all and IMO Rob Edwards is doing a fantastic job. Luton haven’t fallen into the trap of the promoted ‘10 in your own half’ approach and have a clear, physical, style, which I’m fine with.

I’ll take a fortunate win today and it was truly a case of our squad depth and quality paying dividends today for a change. First half everything clicked, they seemed ticked by their injury. Second half we we were slow to adapt to their changes until the 4 subs. Watkins was superb today. 

Agree. But the ref made it hard to put a tackle in. Our players knew that one touch on them and it’s a free-kick. You can’t restrict the opposition if you know the ref will blow on every occasion.

Just now, Dodgyknees said:

Agree. But the ref made it hard to put a tackle in. Our players knew that one touch on them and it’s a free-kick. You can’t restrict the opposition if you know the ref will blow on every occasion.

“Hard to put a tackle in” and blow on every occasion”

gif needed plz.

3 hours ago, Ponky said:

One of the more concerning things for me was a few minutes after the Morris goal we almost conceded again from an almost identical set piece 

McGinn learned from the first goal and made sure he pushed him offside that time

• Thanks 3

First half we played some fantastic stuff.

In the second half I think we missed the control in midfield and a player to stretch the play like Ramsey that gives us better balance to our team.

There were some soft fouls in the second half called by the ref but we also have to look at ourselves in the way we gave them the opportunites to play the game they wanted.

All in all though many teams have.struggled away at Luton and we dug in and got the 3 points despite the injury list we have. UTV!

They scored four against Brighton and Newcastle, were unlucky not to draw with Man Utd and have been competitive against all of the big teams at home this season. Think this will be close and high scoring. They played within themselves at VP but think they will press us a lot more this time. Also, Doughty is very good at delivering from set pieces and we are awful at defending them. Villa to win 3-2 is my prediction. 

Glad I called it right in the pre-match thread. Could have done with it being less nervy though! 

• Thanks 1

I think the rot started with Roger’s tactical ill discipline. Luton were physical all game, (somehow we were getting the bookings though?), but Rogers gave them an in, they just targeted our weakness. Rogers looked great going forward, he will come along nicely, but he showed he isnt up to speed just yet for the discipline this team and Emery demands, that is the difference Emery makes. 

Control returned after the subs (in particular Rogers being replaced) and we nearly always have enough quality to score given the opportunity these days.

Oliver was dreadful, the officiating this season is criminal. Best league, worst officiating. Their goal looked offside too, and Chong had Oliver as a mug, kept tricking him all game. 

3 very valuable points, it was always going to be a tough away game, Luton can unsettle anyone and Kenilworth Rd is a leveller.

Our defence has a blind spot when it comes to a big man at the back of the box. Happened a few times yesterday and also against forest. Need to sort that out asap. However I get comfort that if it's obvious enough that I'm aware of it then unai will already be on the case 

14 hours ago, The_Steve said:

Chong was offside and interfering with play for the second goal also. Dived all game too. So glad to see the back of him and 3 points. 

didn't he play for Blues?......Hmmmmmm

14 hours ago, Lerner's Driver said:

Excellent first half, dreadful second half - far too casual - but we dug out a winner and that is massive credit to Unai and the boys. A vital win. Can enjoy Utd losing tomorrow now.

Ollie admitted as much.....but he didn't have to really, we could see it.

We stopped competing and THAT invited them back in.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, rodders0223 said:

The guy wins absolutely nothing in the air. Absolutely dead weight without the ball.

when we miss the first ball in to the box.....chaos ensues. Its great having CB's who can play out from the back, but we need ones, who can defend, too.....particularly in the air.

Teams know our Achilles.

We need to cut out the first ball.

Not much to add. God first half, poor second when they stepped up. We were poor but we can't overlook that they are quite tough to play at their place. It was always going to be a tough game to play and I'm just glad we won.

Oliver was poor and gave them all he didn't give us.  But that's something we have to deal with. 

I hope it's not too bad with JJ. He looked ok just before he was taken off, so I hope it was just for precaution. I think Rogers were quite decent when he came on. I think he will come good for us. Promising start. Iroegbunam had a harder game today than the last time, but I think  he was decent and it was good to see that he was trusted upon kn that situation. Hope for more from him.

Next game, and then... 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, smg said:

At last someone willing to give the opposition some credit, yes we were shit second half but Luton played a big part in causing that.

but they all will....if you allow them too.

They do not have the technical ability to beat us....but they competed, and we chose the easy option.....The first half and second half was chalk and cheese from us.....and that invited them back in, as we do so often.

We can look for excuses, saying they are fighting for their lives..... We have a champions league place to fight for too.....What was Man U fighting for, when we just waved the white flag.

Their first goal, was Forest all over again....so what did we learn?

example....if a boxer drops his arms, you will punch him....

we stopped competing for balls and they seized the initiative.....All they had was physicality and intensity, and we allowed them to implement it.

Great 3 points though.

14 hours ago, MaVilla said:

Watkins just said in himself in his interview.

"We were too relaxed at the start of the second half, like we were against Forest, and the opposition got momentum"

we need to sort that s**t out asap, its not acceptable.

Ollie is such an honest Soul......but I am staggered, he had to say it, to confirm it, to us.

We should all be able to see it, for ourselves.

It does need to be sorted.

However, when you are sitting 4th, from where we have come....it's hard to make the necessary observations, without seeming ungrateful.

When Unai says we have a long way to go......I believe him.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, briny_ear said:

Think it may be a matter of chance whether I have a stroke  or Villa seal a CL slot first. These last two matches have sent my blood pressure into new uncharted territory.

Sublime first half but I would like to know if Emery instructs them to play slow, passive football at the start of each second half or if the players have made this up by themselves. It just invites teams to score against us. 

Great performances from Watkins and McGinn, OK from everyone else, think Emery should have taken Moreno off sooner, he isn’t made for an ultra defensive game.

Worst performance from a referee I have seen in a long time.

Why didn’t Barkley ever play like that for us?

ditto.

14 hours ago, Jas10 said:

👇

Got to sort this out and the weak 2nd halves, no more complacency.

Heading the ball, anywhere on the pitch, is not our forte.

Its obvious, that in our box, we are puny in the air.....but when Emi does go long, we invariably lose the aerial duel, up the pitch too.....the ball comes straight back, then we are back on the defensive.

We have to improve our aerial prowess.

It's not a case of wanting to play the ball in the air.....its more a case of dealing with it competently, when an opponent chooses to.

We are puny, in the air, generally....despite scoring 2 good headers, yesterday.

Maguire, Morris and Awoniyi have all recently had their way with us, with assists.....Kieffer Moore dominated us a few seasons ago, first game of the season.

Without Mings, we struggle with some of these big opposing/imposing players.....and goals change games, as we know.

Edited by TRO

10 minutes ago, TRO said:

Heading the ball, anywhere on the pitch, is not our forte

I'm just confused how we managed to score two headed goals yesterday if this is true.

That was Ollie’s third headed goal of the season (in the PL), he must be shit at them.

Anyway, someone take the Guardian journalist who wrote this, outside and shoot him

A disturbance in the away section during the minute’s silence for the former Luton defender Chris Nicholl drew the ire of the home fans and certainly raised the temperature before kick-off.

guardian

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Shocked 1