Summer Transfer Window (2024/25)

Topic will be automatically locked at 22:59

MaVilla

6 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

I think if we are street smart this summer, we can really continue the momentum.  Clearly we havw some FFP issues and a player or two may need to bbe sold. 

The high wages is i think the biggest issue so trying to get coutinho off the books would be a good start along with Dendoncker hause and chambers who wont really being in much. (Notice 3 of the 4 are gerrard signings)

Id probably be ok selling carlos and cash dont think either is really good enough tbh as 1st choice and cant see either wanting stick around as backup.

Digne id keep but if the wages are a big issue then i would reluctantly let him go.

Also olsen can go too just do not rate him at all.

Yes here is the total cost of the expensive players we will look to move on.

Dendonker = £8m per year

Coutinho = £11.25m per year

Digne = £12m per year

Carlos = £12m per year

If we can move those on and only book a loss on their remaining book values of  ~8-9m that would be a massive effort by Monchi. That would save ~£35m in cost in next seasons accounts. I think Loans with Obligations to buy will be used instead of straight sales 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Pez1974 said:

People saying we need to spend money on a GK - we've just bought Gauci, and Sinisalo got every player of the year award at a mid-League One side. Plus we have about 3 other GKs who have gone on loan, and youngsters coming through.

Given we need to be sensible - why on earth would we spend money in a position where our first choice is the Worlds #1; he misses 1 or 2 games a season through injury/suspension (historically); and the one position where fatigue isn't a factor?

Jeez - just keep Olsen if we don't trust the guy we've just bought. He got MOTM in his last game.

Zych is nominated for ekstraklasa keeper of the season too. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, sne said:

Would be a strange career choice by him going back to a situation where he'll be a bit part player spending a lot of time on the bench. You'd think he'd be finished with situations like that.

Edit: Barkley.

I guess from his perspective he's got friends at the club, he can get 20 starts in all comps, doesn't have to risk a massive fixture load with his history and has an opportunity to shine in the UCL. 

I think the major positions to invest in are both full back areas and defensive midfield..

Once we get a clean bill of health we are looking very strong..

Emery & Monchi recruit smartly tbh..

I still think we need a world class quality player to consistenly compete but realistically we are going to have to build a player to that level..

• Like 1

1 hour ago, AVTuco said:

We need pace at the back more than anything. We ship in far too many goals.

We also need to make sure Coutinho is off the books.

Then sign some bench warmers for injury insurance and we're set.

We need athleticism and size in midfield and we need a better RB and maybe another CB if we sell Carlos (plus hermoso coming in on a free) 

Posted (edited)
9 minutes ago, CVByrne said:

Yes here is the total cost of the expensive players we will look to move on.

Dendonker = £8m per year

Coutinho = £11.25m per year

Digne = £12m per year

Carlos = £12m per year

If we can move those on and only book a loss on their remaining book values of  ~8-9m that would be a massive effort by Monchi. That would save ~£35m in cost in next seasons accounts. I think Loans with Obligations to buy will be used instead of straight sales 

if we were lucky, we could offload a lot of salary this summer....

image.png.5b4456bfca9a08ca854e2757f504ac3f.png

Edited by MaVilla

26 minutes ago, CVByrne said:

It's down to the squad cost. ie what is the cost of Digne per year on our books and that is what is used in the UEFA squad cost calculation and PSR. Digne costs £12m per season while Watkins for example costs us £9m, Moreno £7m etc..

We need to view the squad based on how much they can perform on the pitch vs how much "space" they take up in our squad cost. We get their relative worth then. Carlos is another expensive player at £12m per year while Mings is just over half that cost at about £6.2m

That’s fine - but it’d be daft to get rid of a very decent left back purely for minimal savings and at the risk that his replacement doesn’t perform when we’re heading into a (hopefully) very competitive season.

It’d make more sense to get rid of Mings as he played 0 part of this season - but I don’t think we do that either. 

Posted (edited)

Digne has performed admirably for us, especially last year, but he has visible limitations and there is a reason that Unai brought Moreno in and he was the first signing of his own, complete choosing.

Moreno can run with the ball, has pace, and help us cut through teams. Even when not fully match fit or sharp, Unai reintroduced him into the side because he gives us something different and more suited to the style that we want to play… I’m really looking forward to having him back to his best (and linking up with JJ) like a few other players.

Digne is more of a steady player and mostly relies on crosses, more of a “stand and deliver” LB… and I’m not sure to what extent that benefits us and if that is what Unai really wants. Not like we have many great headers of the ball or are all that tall, strong or physical either… we prefer to play the ball on the ground (which I love).

Then you have his age and wages to take into account…

There are more suitable players with more longevity (worth bringing in younger players that will stick with us and develop and improve in the longer term) out there…

-

Similarly, for all his work ethic, Cash has limitations that have been exposed and is a player we can improve on to make us a stronger and more effective team.

If we’re going to be compete in the CL, which is a big step up, then we need to increase both the quality of the first 11 and the amount of quality options/depth so we don’t suffer and struggle as we did at times this season.

A quality DM is a MUST. Then we can have the players who have had to fill in play in their best positions and thrive in them. I’m sure we will be stronger and in a better place… we need to be.

-

We have to improve on our defending too, including from set pieces… whether that’s a personnel and/or coaching issue… it has to be addressed, very important. We have to be stronger, more robust and resilient defensively. Going to face a lot of challenges.

Edited by Jas10
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, regular_john said:

Lenglet is on £150,000 per week?? Blimey!

i think he is actually on 200/250k p/w at barca, and we were covering 150k p/w, or something.

3 minutes ago, Jas10 said:

There are more suitable players with more longevity (worth bringing in younger players that will stick with us and develop and improve in the longer term) out there…

Facts

Jeremy Frimpong was at Celtic before Leverkusen..

We can sign these players for a lower price and let them grow to that level with us..

We are doing that with Rogers i am sure we can do that again.

• Thanks 2

Posted (edited)
5 minutes ago, Reivax_Villa said:

Facts

Jeremy Frimpong was at Celtic before Leverkusen..

We can sign these players for a lower price and let them grow to that level with us..

We are doing that with Rogers i am sure we can do that again.

Hopefully Nedeljkovic is that guy…

Don’t think Sousa is though, or won’t be for a while, barely any minutes on loan at Plymouth. 

We’ve tried to move Digne on a few times (were linked to Acuna (that boat must have sailed, too old) and even Tavares (can do much better) as replacements) so it’s quite likely that will happen now and his value will have risen with the game time he has had and performances he has put in… maybe we get a decent offer this time.

Then we can reinvest in a younger LB that fits the profile Unai wants and needs.

Obviously no complaints if he stays and it will mean Unai is suitably happy with him and how he has adapted… and the wages aren’t seen as an issue. That seems unlikely though… he’s not getting any younger and won’t be able to keep up his levels for long… which isn’t ideal for a player on such a big contract.

Edited by Jas10
  • Like 2

I would 100% sell Duran and give his squad place to Archer. 

Duran will sell for at least double any fee we could get for Archer but I reckon Archer could score a similar number of goals whilst also being a good egg around the place , something I get the impression that Duran is not. 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, bobzy said:

That’s fine - but it’d be daft to get rid of a very decent left back purely for minimal savings and at the risk that his replacement doesn’t perform when we’re heading into a (hopefully) very competitive season.

It’d make more sense to get rid of Mings as he played 0 part of this season - but I don’t think we do that either. 

My expectation is we are signing Hermoso who can play LB, LCB and central of a back 3. Which gives us added cover in the full back positions. Moreno returning to full fitness and then we have Sousa as young cover. I think we will often go for RB as the attacking side in games also. I think with 5 CBs and 4 FBs (two being younger) we are covered. 

RE: Barkley. He was very good when he first joined us until he got his injury and just was never the same player. You could see he was playing unfit and how frustrated he was. A fit Barkley is a good option, adds experience.

A few doubted Youri, saying he was finished at top level and looks what Emery did with him 

If the Don wants him here, I want him here.

In Unai We Trust 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, CosmicVillan said:

Duran will sell for at least double any fee we could get for Archer but I reckon Archer could score a similar number of goals whilst also being a good egg around the place , something I get the impression that Duran is not. 

They are different profiles… and it looks like Duran has more talent and potential.

Archer lacks the physicality and maybe the explosiveness that Duran has… Jhon could become quite a formidable player… I would like him to be committed to us and patient.

Played in a crap team but he hasn’t done much or stood out, or even been selected that much… not a great move for Cam really and I’m not sure it’s benefitted us all that much. Can we see anyone coming in with a similar offer for him? 

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, macandally said:

I get the wages, but for the life of me cannot see why people are falling over themselves to sell Digne

I agree. His best season possibly of his career. On the whole he's been outstanding and definitely my unsung hero of the season. The amount of games he's had to play due to lack of options that side and his consistency. If he's willing to take a bit of a pay cut aid definitely offer him a new deal.

Edited by stewiek2

8 minutes ago, CosmicVillan said:

Duran scored 8 goals and won 2 penalties in just over 11 games worth of minutes. That's really good. 

Duran would sell for at least 3x what archer would anyway. But we aren't selling him. And we have no clue what any of the players are like so don't speculate. People thought Bailey was a prick and he's been one of our most important leaders this season. 

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Jas10 said:

Digne has performed admirably for us, especially last year, but he has visible limitations and there is a reason that Unai brought Moreno in and he was the first signing of his own, complete choosing.

Moreno can run with the ball, has pace, and help us cut through teams. Even when not fully match fit or sharp, Unai reintroduced him into the side because he gives us something different and more suited to the style that we want to play… I’m really looking forward to having him back to his best (and linking up with JJ) like a few other players.

Digne is more of a steady player and mostly relies on crosses, more of a “stand and deliver” LB… and I’m not sure to what extent that benefits us and if that is what Unai really wants. Not like we have many great headers of the ball or are all that tall, strong or physical either… we prefer to play the ball on the ground (which I love).

Then you have his age and wages to take into account…

-

Similarly, for all his work ethic, Cash has limitations that have been exposed and is a player we can improve on to make us a stronger and more effective team.

If we’re going to be compete in the CL, which is a big step up, then we need to increase both the quality of the first 11 and the amount of quality options/depth so we don’t suffer and struggle as we did at times this season.

A quality DM is a MUST. Then we can have the players who have had to fill in play in their best positions and thrive in them. I’m sure we will be stronger and in a better place… we need to be.

-

We have to improve on our defending too, including from set pieces… whether that’s a personnel and/or coaching issue… it has to be addressed, very important. We have to be stronger, more robust and resilient defensively. Going to face a lot of challenges.

Tbf I think that's not a good interpretation of what happened. Digne was in a stretch of bad form and was our only LB. So of course we signed a LB. 

Posted (edited)
1 minute ago, MotoMkali said:

Tbf I think that's not a good interpretation of what happened. Digne was in a stretch of bad form and was our only LB. So of course we signed a LB. 

To each their own mate… we all have our own opinions (right or wrong, who can judge accurately?). Don’t have to agree but should have respect and let everyone have their own say.

Edited by Jas10
  • Like 1

Â