Ratings & Reactions: Nottm Forest v Villa

limpid

Match Polls  

188 members have voted

1. 1. Who was your man of the match?

2. 2. Manager's Performance

3. 3. Refereeing Performance

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 07/11/23 at 23:59

23 hours ago, Jas10 said:

Moreno brings what we don’t have (and why he was signed): incisiveness, speed and dribbling ability. As well as Digne has performed for us, at a time of great need, he doesn’t possess the same skill set. Doesn’t offer a hell of a lot other than crossing (don’t think he is actually a superior defender either) which is often quite a useless approach for us considering the opposition and lack of aerial prowess in the team. Alex would cut through teams, play and link well with the attacking players and provide plenty of accurate cutbacks - which is more suited to the way we play. A major factor in how good we were under Unai last season…

Cash… I think it’s a glaring area where we can improve. So limited and nervy in possession… loose and hesitant… maybe genuine competition will improve him. Works hard and gets stuck in but not great going forwards and rarely provides good service.

Our attackers are not elite either… despite my admiration for them. Diaby and Watkins are performing well in general but we have missed Ramsey and Buendia.

Zaniolo needs time and confidence, Bailey is inconsistent and unreliable (especially in away games), Traore is relatively unfavoured..

We have no midfield depth beyond Luiz and Kamara… if we played a midfield 3, I would rather have McGinn in there (who always fights for us) than Tielemans and Dendoncker (no future here)…

I think that’s actually where we are lacking the most and where a bit of extra steel, as you often point out and identify, is needed.

I say Steel Jas, but its not just that, we need athleticism accompanied by a footballing skills....A Rodri if you like.....Sure they are hard to find, but we could try to find one, similar.

Tielemans is too similar to Dougie for me, cover yes, but he won't want just that.....we need some competition for Kamara, to keep him sharp, and focused.

I think our attackers like certain conditions, to play in....rarely do they force the opposition in to errors, to make goals....Thats where Wilson and Toney out flanks Ollie, they are pugilistic...I love Ollie and his way, but he is not aggressive enough to get those extra goals to label him a menace, he's just a nice bloke, who has a good skill set.....to go that extra bit like Suarez if you like( I don't mean biting ears) you have MAKE things happen.

I still love the Pep line....."players who go after you, as opposed to players who wait for you".....Pep was referring to players who make things happen as opposed to them that wait for things to happen for them.....He said he is well aware, of what he wants in his team,

In that context....I still think we have a way to go....I think McGinn has it, but maybe not athletic enough for it to be effective, but he can't do it on his own...However, some days are better than others, with our boys.

Edited by TRO

21 minutes ago, bobzy said:

As much as people are pointing out Digne and Cash for being poor, Forest did really well to nullify the centre of the park which is often where we create most of our chances (getting the ball around the edge of the box and finding passes into the attackers).

I thought it was disappointing that we didn’t seem to switch up at all to try and work around their tactics. Similar with the high line and the success Forest were having with breaking through. Sure, they were offside sometimes, but it was literally the only thing they had going and we seemed to just say “aye, keep doing that lads”.

I’ve got full faith in Emery and have basically zero criticism of him, but he got it badly wrong yesterday. 

I think, there are times, when certain tactics only go so far.....Did Klopp get it wrong too on the day?

I respect your opinion.....but I think Forest were so up for it, and the first goal, was the perfect injection of enthusiasm they needed....why away from home, didn't we start with a low block and nullify that obvious partisan atmosphere, and grow in to the game.

We can't keep playing the same way, away from home, as at home, without consequences.

Generally, they out worked us, off the ball, their appetite to stop us was clear, and they did it very well.....I don't think we worked hard enough to avoid it, just happy to play the ball around, in area's of low density....its was like watching a snooker player, who just wants to pot the balls, but don't want to get dragged in to a (possibly boring) safety game....Hard work is not always an attractive concept to humans, motivation or Fear , plays a big part, in it.

Edited by TRO
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Jas10 said:

I just can’t help and can’t stop thinking just how much better we would have been if we hadn’t lost the services of Mings, Buendia, Moreno and Ramsey.

The first two we have just had to accept and live with but it’s been frustrating not being able to keep our preferred/superior left side players fit and regularly in the team. Once we do, we’re going to be a hell of a lot better and our play will improve. That has been one of a few significant blows we’ve had to contend with so far…

Can’t really recall any previous teams and managers that would have dealt with such setbacks before… would have completely derailed our seasons in the past…

JJ and Moreno are exceptional and crucial to the way we play, outstanding last season under Unai.

We have to keep strengthening this team to reach our goals, at every opportunity…

Despite the flaws we have pointed out, there’s no doubt that we are a hell of a lot more resilient these days than we used to be and there’s no severe or long lasting decline or poor form as we had gotten used to… we recover and we do it strongly and impressively. The next step is consistency… more players up to standard will really help with that!

We are going to destroy another team soon…

Moreno was probably my favourite player for us when he came in his attacking link up with JJ was eye watering stuff and thats what we need right now, would be unfair to Digne considering his been playing superb for us but Moreno has been on a different level, gonna say this again but we should have snapped up Doku for the £25 million it was touted at the time we would have been a serious force had we just got both Diaby and Doku.

This loss will make Professor Unai more focused and determined that i can assure you, i want us to keep the momentum and we have some huge matches coming up which i have never felt so confident going into in my entire life,  would love to finally beat Man City especially with that bald man in charge as we have never won against his side, these top four sides we need to start coming out victorious against them, when i was younger i didnt see us beat either arsenal, liverpool and united for 6 years which was from 2002-2008 that was a shocking time as a fan as i was always geared up for those matches and we always got battered smh, was 18 years old the first time i seen us ever beat united imagine that 😂.

Now its time to change the narrative and turn ourselves into the superforce we once was and be the team that those sides cant beat.

Jesus a bit of over reaction from certain posters, the fundamentals of the team are fine and defensively we was OK apart from uncharacteristic mess up/ ups from Martinez.

We had enough chances in that game to at least draw, better chances than forest scored with. Zaniolo first half, Watkins with his header, Diaby skying it, Bailey skying it, Dignes skying it (all of them inside the area) a free header in the box, think it was Konsa. We had chances and never made the most of them, Zaniolo had possession in decent areas and we never capitalised on it and the same can be said of Dignes and Cash. 

Forest played like the away team in this game, we just wasn't clinical enough in front of goal. Stick Ramsey in there and the space afforded to Zaniolo would have cost Forest, the same goes for Moreno and Dignes.

Edited by tinker

2 hours ago, TRO said:

I say Steel Jas, but its not just that, we need athleticism accompanied by a footballing skills....A Rodri if you like.....Sure they are hard to find, but we could try to find one, similar.

Tielemans is too similar to Dougie for me, cover yes, but he won't want just that.....we need some competition for Kamara, to keep him sharp, and focused.

Couldn’t agree more (what did you think of Sangare btw? Dominguez is considered a steely DM too) and I’ve been beating that drum for a while… what are we going to do if Kamara gets injured? The drop off is going to be significant… even if we managed last season but it seems completely different this time around. We’re not playing exactly how we did last season either and we have some key omissions as we covered… Unai will continue to make adjustments… especially as we further strengthen.

Dendoncker lacks precisely the attributes you’ve outlined, not an Unai player and will be moved on asap.

Tielemans… I’ve been disappointed. Slack, slow and loose in possession when he’s further back and in the centre, so far, and has played better further forwards. I find it infuriating how easily he is dispossessed (has cost us several times) but maybe he is moving past that and sharpening up now… 

We don’t have decent cover and there is zero competition for Dougie and Bouba… it’s a big problem for me.

Again, the only worthwhile option seems to be to stick McGinn in the centre where he can be more involved and effective (as we did last season)  - especially with the way he has improved and become more composed under Unai.

The same goes for RB, no one pushing Cash but he is not up to the required standard imo either… so maybe that’s more of a problem but we can always stick Ezri there and bring Carlos in for, again, a more steely approach…

Other than that, it’s always possible to strengthen in attack if finances allow and appropriate targets are identified and interested… but we also have to support and be patient with the players at our disposal and get them into peak form… to see how good they really are and can be.

• Like 1

We had 1.3 to their 0.4xG. We had a rare Emi howler for one of their goals, we dominated possession and territory and had chances to score we didn't manage to take on this occasion. The timing of the goals too were not great. 

I do feel when opposition sit so deep and defend like Forest did we need the goals from midfield. A Ramsey was the type of player sorely missed I feel with his goal contribution output very high. 

Overall though, nothing major wrong with the performance / structure / set up. Just felt like one what wasn't our day. 

• Like 3

There's a common thread with the 4 bad away results we've had this season (Newcastle, Liverpool, Warsaw and Forest) and that is conceding within first 5 mins or so. In fact I think in 2 or 3 of them we also conceded shortly after half time as well. Are we particularly slow starters or is this just coincidence? Maybe not a big enough sample to say and I don't have stats to know if we are notably bad for this, but we do seem to have a habit (going back a few years) of conceding quite a few early goals

Anyway yesterday was definitely the type of game where first goal was key. Forest with a lead to protect were chasing down every ball and could generally play to their strengths. We were forced to go wide a lot and didn't have enough spark there to find a way in. Frustrating but not a disaster. Just need to make sure we bounce back in the next two home games and go into the intl break positive again.

• Like 2

40 minutes ago, switters said:

There's a common thread with the 4 bad away results we've had this season (Newcastle, Liverpool, Warsaw and Forest) and that is conceding within first 5 mins or so. In fact I think in 2 or 3 of them we also conceded shortly after half time as well. Are we particularly slow starters or is this just coincidence? Maybe not a big enough sample to say and I don't have stats to know if we are notably bad for this, but we do seem to have a habit (going back a few years) of conceding quite a few early goals

Anyway yesterday was definitely the type of game where first goal was key. Forest with a lead to protect were chasing down every ball and could generally play to their strengths. We were forced to go wide a lot and didn't have enough spark there to find a way in. Frustrating but not a disaster. Just need to make sure we bounce back in the next two home games and go into the intl break positive again.

You know… I’ve been thinking about this… we were quite a tenacious and aggressive team at times in the past, such as under Deano, in certain games… but maybe that approach is unsustainable…

For the amount of games we are playing (and will hopefully continue to play in future seasons), aswell as becoming a “top side”, becoming a possession based side is the better and more sustainable and beneficial approach long terms and will help our players to conserve a bit of energy during games… a style and approach that can be applied quite consistently and one we can get better at.

As good as it is to have an intensive approach, press hard and quick, be aggressive and tenacious… you cannot do it in every game and players will get worn out…

Of course, you need to have the right approach and mentality in all games (maybe a bit of complacency or arrogance has set in at times) and be up for the battle, but the best way is to be a side that is comfortable in possession and passes the ball with ease and incisiveness… we are shaping up quite well in that regard but we are early in our journey…

Unai will not rest… he will take us where he wants us to be and eventually make us the side that he desires…

23 hours ago, Risso said:

Not for the first time in away games, he got the set up from the off all wrong today. Kamara dropping back into a three man central defence and Cash trying and failing dismally to provide width on the right. It meant that the normal central midfield duo of Luiz and Kamara was all over the place, and McGinn was a bit in no man's land. Quite why we needed to alter the formation so much for Forest is beyond me. Anyway, it didn't remotely work, and our away form is becoming a little bit concerning. Drubbings by Newcastle and Liverpool, winning thanks partly to a sending off against Chelsea, and 1 point from 6 from Wolves and Forest. Emery has said we need to be a lot better away, then they serve up that abomination today.

This was not new.  This has been our setup and plan for at least 3-4 weeks.  Cash was not effective, but the setup you mention has nothing to do with it.  

Wow, what a time to stumble, a win would have put us solidly in 3rd given the completion of the weekends games.

But that in itself is remarkable, we are still in heady territory and playing well despite not getting the rub yesterday. I think Spurs bubble has burst but we need to watch out for Newcastle. 

The silver lining is every defeat is a lesson that makes us stronger, Emery will be all over this. With players coming back we are in a good place, our run to the end of December as a whole is important, not so much individual games.

8 hours ago, switters said:

We also had injuries to key CBs in Newcastle and Liverpool games. They are top sides too so I think it's a bit different. 

Forest game was one we didn't take our chances and conceded a howler of a 2nd goal which is rare for us to give away. I don't think Liverpool are too worried they needed a last min goal to get a point from Luton. 

22 hours ago, Jas10 said:

Couldn’t agree more (what did you think of Sangare btw? Dominguez is considered a steely DM too) and I’ve been beating that drum for a while… what are we going to do if Kamara gets injured? The drop off is going to be significant… even if we managed last season but it seems completely different this time around. We’re not playing exactly how we did last season either and we have some key omissions as we covered… Unai will continue to make adjustments… especially as we further strengthen.

Dendoncker lacks precisely the attributes you’ve outlined, not an Unai player and will be moved on asap.

Tielemans… I’ve been disappointed. Slack, slow and loose in possession when he’s further back and in the centre, so far, and has played better further forwards. I find it infuriating how easily he is dispossessed (has cost us several times) but maybe he is moving past that and sharpening up now… 

We don’t have decent cover and there is zero competition for Dougie and Bouba… it’s a big problem for me.

Again, the only worthwhile option seems to be to stick McGinn in the centre where he can be more involved and effective (as we did last season)  - especially with the way he has improved and become more composed under Unai.

The same goes for RB, no one pushing Cash but he is not up to the required standard imo either… so maybe that’s more of a problem but we can always stick Ezri there and bring Carlos in for, again, a more steely approach…

Other than that, it’s always possible to strengthen in attack if finances allow and appropriate targets are identified and interested… but we also have to support and be patient with the players at our disposal and get them into peak form… to see how good they really are and can be.

Too many were slack, slow and loose in possession, not just Tielemans....and SJM was not at his inspiring best, to compound the issue.

As you say, we need another Leader/Talisman( in the squad) in the middle to drive the team on, and demand on the pitch, where Unai demands,  off it....that's if we want to stop being easily negated away from home....We can't always go toe to toe, away from home, we need players who can stop enthusiastic teams away from home.

We have proved at home we have the arsenal of weaponary to hurt teams....we have players who can worry teams in to submission......We need a Joelinton , or Rodri, type who can galvanise the fight necessary, to dampen the enthusiasm of a partisan crowd.

I applaud Unai's mantra of controlling games....but at times it requires, players who are prepared to put in the hard yards, and physical endeavor, to carry it out......passing between ourselves exempt from impunity, is only partly controlling games...its not in the true sense of the intention.

I don't see the players to come off the bench to change our approach.....only change a face, meaning same type of attributes, different face.

It makes me ponder, how many weapons, are we shy of, that can give us additional opportunities to score.....

• Heading( Withe, Gray, Benteke, Carew).....(Mellberg, Laursen, Evans, Terry)
  • shots from outside the box ( Rioch, Hitzlesperger)
  • Aggression in the box ( Wilson, Toney, Suarez, Shearer, Gray)

with more diversity, we can offer more challenges to the opposition......How many crosses, are wasted by players not equipped to head the ball with conviction?

These comments are only aimed at ways in which we can be more rounded as a team, and cross fertilize idea's/ thoughts , of not relying on too many of the same things.

Interested to know how you and others think we can improve?

Edited by TRO

17 hours ago, switters said:

I think its a smart observation.

17 hours ago, Jas10 said:

You know… I’ve been thinking about this… we were quite a tenacious and aggressive team at times in the past, such as under Deano, in certain games… but maybe that approach is unsustainable…

For the amount of games we are playing (and will hopefully continue to play in future seasons), aswell as becoming a “top side”, becoming a possession based side is the better and more sustainable and beneficial approach long terms and will help our players to conserve a bit of energy during games… a style and approach that can be applied quite consistently and one we can get better at.

As good as it is to have an intensive approach, press hard and quick, be aggressive and tenacious… you cannot do it in every game and players will get worn out…

Of course, you need to have the right approach and mentality in all games (maybe a bit of complacency or arrogance has set in at times) and be up for the battle, but the best way is to be a side that is comfortable in possession and passes the ball with ease and incisiveness… we are shaping up quite well in that regard but we are early in our journey…

Unai will not rest… he will take us where he wants us to be and eventually make us the side that he desires…

A very vailid point, but it is one of the resaons why SAF had the indian sign over Arsene, for so long. Utd in those days played some scintillating football, but they had a hard core too, and could mix it, if an opponent, so desired....but it is nice to have the option in you, when you need it. Sunday may have been one of those days.

you take today.....Newcastle are not better than us technically, but they are more aggressive, and are more  likely to make things happen and more durable away from home. Sure the trade off is injuries, and it is likely to catch up with them as the season unfolds.

When we beat them 3-0, we emulated their aggression, amongst other things and it unhinged them....they was not expecting that.

I am not criticising what we are doing, just merely offering reasons, why we sometimes, fall short.

3 minutes ago, TRO said:

A very vailid point, but it is one of the resaons why SAF had the indian sign over Arsene, for so long. Utd in those days played some scintillating football, but they had a hard core too, and could mix it, if an opponent, so desired....but it is nice to have the option in you, when you need it. Sunday may have been one of those days.

you take today.....Newcastle are not better than us technically, but they are more aggressive, and are more  likely to make things happen and more durable away from home. Sure the trade off is injuries, and it is likely to catch up with them as the season unfolds.

When we beat them 3-0, we emulated their aggression, amongst other things and it unhinged them....they was not expecting that.

I am not criticising what we are doing, just merely offering reasons, why we sometimes, fall short.

Newcastle are below us in the league atm.

34 minutes ago, tinker said:

Newcastle are below us in the league atm.

At present yes, and below us in the away table too, so they have issues to fix too....but we have 27 games to go, in the season, and we want to stay in touch with the top.

There is nothing wrong in looking at ways we can improve, particularly away from home.

8 teams below us, are above us in the Away league table...There is clearly room to improve in the "for" and "against" columns.

I'm just raising questions as to, how we can?

Edited by TRO

On 05/11/2023 at 23:17, Risso said:

Not for the first time in away games, he got the set up from the off all wrong today. Kamara dropping back into a three man central defence and Cash trying and failing dismally to provide width on the right. It meant that the normal central midfield duo of Luiz and Kamara was all over the place, and McGinn was a bit in no man's land. Quite why we needed to alter the formation so much for Forest is beyond me. Anyway, it didn't remotely work, and our away form is becoming a little bit concerning. Drubbings by Newcastle and Liverpool, winning thanks partly to a sending off against Chelsea, and 1 point from 6 from Wolves and Forest. Emery has said we need to be a lot better away, then they serve up that abomination today.

Newcastle are worse than us away from home, on current form.....there, fixed it.😀

Seriously, we do, need to improve away to serve our ambitions.....but last season appeared to be better, and towards the end it was...but overall it wasn't, its about the same.

to improve away.....It seems to me, we are far more comfortable/ efficient with the ball, than without it.....I think some of our positioning without the ball, is questionable, we seem to lack organisation at times...we must do better.

Edited by TRO

23 hours ago, tinker said:

Jesus a bit of over reaction from certain posters, the fundamentals of the team are fine and defensively we was OK apart from uncharacteristic mess up/ ups from Martinez.

We had enough chances in that game to at least draw, better chances than forest scored with. Zaniolo first half, Watkins with his header, Diaby skying it, Bailey skying it, Dignes skying it (all of them inside the area) a free header in the box, think it was Konsa. We had chances and never made the most of them, Zaniolo had possession in decent areas and we never capitalised on it and the same can be said of Dignes and Cash. 

Forest played like the away team in this game, we just wasn't clinical enough in front of goal. Stick Ramsey in there and the space afforded to Zaniolo would have cost Forest, the same goes for Moreno and Dignes.

That means we wasn't ok defensively.....and the positioning of the last line of defence for their goal, exposed Martinez....He deserves, better protection, than that.

Cash and Konsa were together in front of Emi's right hand post.....and Torres and Luiz was together at his left hand post, with a gaping hole in front of him.....that was anything but good defensive organisation.

I am merely trying to present the facts in terms of defending....it wasn't ok defending. 

Look, the game is over, but lets examine the facts....we need to do better away from home.....a 0-0 draw would have been a case for a hard fought away game, and acceptabe to most.

3 hours ago, TRO said:

Too many were slack, slow and loose in possession, not just Tielemans....and SJM was not at his inspiring best, to compound the issue.

As you say, we need another Leader/Talisman( in the squad) in the middle to drive the team on, and demand on the pitch, where Unai demands,  off it....that's if we want to stop being easily negated away from home....We can't always go toe to toe, away from home, we need players who can stop enthusiastic teams away from home.

We have proved at home we have the arsenal of weaponary to hurt teams....we have players who can worry teams in to submission......We need a Joelinton , or Rodri, type who can galvanise the fight necessary, to dampen the enthusiasm of a partisan crowd.

I applaud Unai's mantra of controlling games....but at times it requires, players who are prepared to put in the hard yards, and physical endeavor, to carry it out......passing between ourselves exempt from impunity, is only partly controlling games...its not in the true sense of the intention.

I don't see the players to come off the bench to change our approach.....only change a face, meaning same type of attributes, different face.

It makes me ponder, how many weapons, are we shy of, that can give us additional opportunities to score.....

• Heading( Withe, Gray, Benteke, Carew).....(Mellberg, Laursen, Evans, Terry)
  • shots from outside the box ( Rioch, Hitzlesperger)
  • Aggression in the box ( Wilson, Toney, Suarez, Shearer, Gray)

with more diversity, we can offer more challenges to the opposition......How many crosses, are wasted by players not equipped to head the ball with conviction?

These comments are only aimed at ways in which we can be more rounded as a team, and cross fertilize idea's/ thoughts , of not relying on too many of the same things.

Interested to know how you and others think we can improve?

I wasn’t talking of Tielemans in the Forest game, I am speaking of all of his appearances for us and how he isn’t really a viable option in our central midfield (particularly a double pivot or 2 man midfield) or a suitable or adequate replacement/cover for either Kamara (Youri is not defensive or composed enough in possession) or Luiz (Youri is nowhere near his class, based on what he’s showed so far) based on the evidence - how he’s performed for us until now. We are going to struggle if we lost either or both of those players with the squad as it is…

Tielemans may well improve with more time (I expect him to but patience is wearing thin, he performed better against Alkmaar but that was in an unexpected and advanced position) with and in the team but he has often been a liability in those particular games. The main reason we got knocked out of the Carabao Cup, by Everton, is because our midfield partnership of Dendoncker and Tielemans was completely piss poor and couldn’t retain possession or be remotely press resistant - it’s a major worry.

Dendoncker is poor and limited and clearly not a “Unai player” or all that favoured. He will be sold asap along with Chambers… we can’t carry players anymore and need to upgrade when and where we can.

-

How can we improve? Other than sharpening up mentally and physically and being constantly motivated and “serious” (not allowing any arrogance or complacency to set in)…

Get the injured (and essential/important) players back and regularly in the side, mainly Moreno (don’t care what anyone says, he is a vast improvement on Digne and was instrumental in our upturn last season) and JJ (the most effective of our present attacking players beyond Diaby and Watkins). Stop relying on high crosses, have variation in our passing and attacking moves (great at this last season especially with Moreno, JJ and Buendia all involved heavily).

I’d like to see Diego Carlos more involved, he has certain traits that we maybe lack, so long as he is over his injury troubles and can manage the load of regular minutes…

Bring in a more physical and imposing  player, if possible in January, who is agile and adept in possession and under pressure and can counteract the absence of (esp) Kamara and Luiz while also keeping them on their toes and to help us in the more “physical” games against such opposition…

Get a better and more effective RB asap. Cash is limited…

I think that would be fine for the short term.

Other areas to address, a better backup GK and eventual successor to Emi.

If Bailey and Zaniolo don’t improve adequately, another excellent attacker/forward to help Ollie and Moussa up there.

Edited by Jas10