Have you lost interest in England?

b6bloke

Have you lost interest in England?  

101 members have voted

1. 1. Have you lost interest in England?

• Yes
    • No

I find this post sums up the state of this once great nation in general! Oh and i will be watching tonight and watched saturday, i just hope the people who are saying they dont watch dont come back if we get to the world cup. This is not to say i am not sick of the team because I am, but I didnt ditch villa when they were crap so the same rules apply to england.

I'm a gloryhunter when it comes to England

I like watching their games and get quite wound up about them - when its a tournament finals

otherwise I just dont care. I find it hard to switch from hating Wee Mikey Owen and Spadeface rooney on a Saturday to loving them on a Wednesday, seems to take a while to make that transition

I think i've just grown up with so many negative images, it seems daft ( IMO ) to defend something unconditionally. With the exception of close family, if someone or some thing serially **** up, why be proud of that? Being English doesn't make me better than being french or angolan and I guess I've just grown up seeing alot of stuff in papers about "we're england we should do this and that, sod other countries, sod x y z we deserve this / that" and I find that so embarrassing and illogical. Doesn't mean there aren't traits I don't like ofc and I'll happily claim decent historical figures who are British as part of our past, but then again, what someone else did x years ago, again doesn't mean that now, i am better than anyone else. Patriotism, I find tends to descend into one giant pissing contest, and so generally, I avoid promoting it overtly.

I find it hard to switch from hating Wee Mikey Owen and Spadeface rooney on a Saturday to loving them on a Wednesday, seems to take a while to make that transition

i can appreciate that.

Somehow, i manage to be able to do that quite quickly.

and then dislike them again after the game :winkold:

I'll start by stating that throughout my life I've been a Scotland fan and although wanting England to lose in games versus Scotland I've 'wanted' them to win in all others.

I don't get hammered when they win big games 5-1, I don't get morose when they beat -oh yes they did win didn't they- Andorra 2-0.

My 'support' did change a little when Aston was born IN England with my English wife.

I've often said on here I prefer it if Villa players aren't selected as it's always been and always will be Villa before England.

Yet I still cannot believe that the vast majority of those voting are no longer interested. If that interest is then reignited by qualification then that wasn't them being disinterested but fickle, going with the highs and not the lows.

My main bugbears now is that we will not get to see the national side play as it on a paid for channel - that is wrong, yet that is a different thread.

FTR I voted NO.

What is interesting is that this very limited poll appears to be representative of the nation at large. If you look at ticket sales and viewing figures for games it is clear that people are losing interest in the England side and I think the FA have taken a massive gamble in selling the rights to Sentanta because I can see that only making the situation worse.

Yet I still cannot believe that the vast majority of those voting are no longer interested. If that interest is then reignited by qualification then that wasn't them being disinterested but fickle, going with the highs and not the lows.

I'm not sure that ficke is exactly the right word, well in my case anyway

I feel about the england football team much the same as I do about the england rugby team, or cricket team, or athletes, or F1 drivers, or tennis players or watever. When they are doing soemthing interesting I'm interested, when they are performing the boring mundane crap that gets them through the days between the interesting stuff then they dont even register. My interest is peaked slightly if there is a Villa lad playing, but I dont count Gaz Baz as that any more really ....

I think that makes me "not much of a fan" rather than fickle tbh

BTW, it is also very rare for me to watch or even care very much about non Villa related football (apart from cup finals and international tourneys finals)

I think there is an awful lot of truth in that, Al.

The issues seems to be, from reading this thread and other media sources, that people:

a. don't like they way england are playing

b. think they should be getting better results

c. think different players (often ones from "their" team) should be playing

If you don't have a bit interst in the English football team, then fine, no problem, but that is not really "losing interest" as not having much interest in the first place (see PB's post).

But if people are "losing interest" due to a, b or c, then an improvemnet in a, b or c would seemingly increase said interest again, and surely that is, be definition, fickle?

"I'll only support Engalnd if they are playing well and picking the "rigfht" players and winning."

I find that a very poor attitude.

Ther could always be an option d. whereby people have lost faith in The England team overall, due to years of dissapointment.

But if said people start flocking back becuase we start doing well again, i's day that was pretty fickle too ....

I voted no, because I'm a patriot and I'll fully support England when playing any sport. I do however agree with alot of the points in this thread. I don't think 'England are playing badly' is a reason to stop watching them, but I think the fact that the players don't even seem to care is. When England Cricket Team lose a game, there are investigations as to why, there is a reshuffle in the team, and scapegoats are made. Whether or not you agree with this, at least it shows they care about losing; the England football team play badly, and then nothing is said, and the same starting 11 will start the next match and put in a similar performance. I thought things would change under Capello but I guess I was wrong. The inclusion of Downing in the last team instead of Joe Cole or Ashley Young is an absolute disgrace.

I was outraged that Setanta got the away games. The average fan doesn't particularly want to go out to the pub to watch England, especially if they have children. Pubs (well, the majority anyway) at an England game are not somewhere to take the kids, and I wouldnt want to subscribe to a channel for a whole month to have just one game. And I heard rumours when I was at the BBC the other day that Setanta will soon be introducing a minimum contract length.

Tonight I am going to a friends house to watch the England game. But 3 or 4 years ago I would have been buzzing for about a week before in anticipation, I used to take afternoons off work just to prepare for the game.. today, I really don't care if I get delayed here and miss most of the match. I'm more excited about next Monday night against Tottenham for sure.

I think what Bilic said about players caring more about clubs (Liverpool using the International break to give Gerrard an operation so he misses minimum Liverpool games) is a very key point. I think we are the only country where the players would put club before country.