Have you lost interest in England?

b6bloke

Have you lost interest in England?  

101 members have voted

1. 1. Have you lost interest in England?

• Yes
    • No

there is also something unbearably chavvy about wearing an England shirt.

:?

But not a Villa one? :?

you are joking right?

A Villa shirt, becasue of those superb colours is, in its long sleeved variety anyway, a relatively classy thing, like the club is comes from in many ways. the current Villa shirt exudes "Trinity Road". I wouldnt wear one personally, but I dont find the sight offensive. my 12 year old wears a Villa shirt, but not to anywhere nice

England shirts are just chavtastic - the away shirt carries a certain something, but the home shirt has always in my mind been associated with the wrong type of person and is now right up there with burberry, Man united/Liverpool shirts and bling as the very definition of chavdom.

IMHO, that is very stereotypical and ill thougth out, Peter.

I have seen many "idiots/chavs/whatever you want to label people as" wearing Villa shirts, just as I have Engalnd ones.

I don't see how you can seperate the two, i really don't, and the argument that "the shirt carries a certain something" doesn't really clarify matters, IMHO.

FWIW, I have a t-shirt with a St George's cross on it which i wear for most england games. I also have a claret n Blue top which i wear for villa games.

I have worn an Engalnd football shirt in the past, and worn it with pride, and don't see any chav connotations over and above wearing any club shirt, TBH.

or are you associating wearing an england top with far right wing Xenophobia etc? That's a different topic IMO, but i also wouldn't really agree with that either.

or are you associating wearing an england top with far right wing Xenophobia etc? That's a different topic IMO, but i also wouldn't really agree with that either.

its just imo, impressions gained over years and years - hooliganism, Turin 1980, national front, too many nights downtown on a Saturday with psised up kids causing trouble, too many days spent on run down inner city estates, the horribly garish Euro 96 et al

I, personally, wouldnt be seen dead in an England shirt (or for that matter a St Georges cross shirt), any more than i would wear a heavy chain necklace, huge white trainers or tracky bottoms.

If other people want to, thats their business I guess. Like I say, I wouldnt wear a Villa shirt either, but the images arent anything like so negative.

Anyway, pointless excercise really this debate, its just the impression I have, i dont expect you or anyone to agree with me, as everyone's experiences are different

Fair Doo's Peter.

I just think we as a nation could do with getting over ther whole St Georgre's Cross/England Football Top = far Right/NF/Hooligan type image.

I think/hope it belongs more in the past.

Personally, i feel quite proud to wear what i would consider a quite tasteful Cotton Traders White Polo Shirt, with st george's cross across it, and would like to think people don't think i'm a chavy thug for doing so.

...... although i do have short hair too, so ..... :winkold:

who else do you support?

This might come as a shock, but I support Aston villa

how funny!

Well, its true. When villa play Spurs, i really care about who wins, Villa ofc

When Hull play Reading, I dont care at all, unless the match impacts on Villa in some way

When england play croatia I dont care at all, unless a Villa player played and did well/badly for either team

I'm just not a fan of england, didnt watch the game last night (altho I've seen the goals on the news this morning) and wont watch the next one either

So your comment about who else I support is kind of daft, becasue there is no requirement for anyone to support a national team as far as I can see. Me and my kid kind of support Italy when they're playing, but thats kind of a personal thing going back to when we first started playing pro-evo together and we always played as italy, and delighted being honest, in playing england and kicking the crap out of David Beckham

there is also something unbearably chavvy about wearing an England shirt.

Agree with pretty much all of that.

Am British anyway so take an interest in the other home nations not just England.

I really hope they lose!

What a disgraceful comment that is! Im English and proud of it, and no matter how poor we play, this is my country and i will continue to support it regardless of who is picked. I cant believe a fellow countryman would even come out with a comment like that.

I would really love to know exactly why you want your own country to lose a football match? Assuming you are infact English.

Iam not English..iam Swedish..but it dosen't matter..cause i would feel the same if it was a swedish player playing for villa who didn't get called up for sweden when he should be..Even people that hate villa are wondering why AY aint in the squad..Villa goes before anything else for me..

I'm still not bothered even though we won last night.

Ditto.Couldn't care less.

so, you haven't "lost interest" then? You were just never that interested anyway?

Fair doo's, but a completely different argument/point.

Or if you have "lost interest" at some point, why? Too many years of dissapointment?

what would bring the interest back?

Villa have had many years of dissapointment IMO, especially since the mid 80s. But I have not "lost interest" in them, and hopefully never will.

Losing interest is, IMHO, the easy way out .....

Well I was born in England, so therfore im English. Im not British because i dont give a flying **** about any other country apart from the country from which i originate.

The country you were born in is United Kingdom. England is not a country, fact.

Well I was born in England, so therfore im English. Im not British because i dont give a flying **** about any other country apart from the country from which i originate.

i find it quite weird that wer have an "England" football team that only English players can play (not welsh or scottish etc (hargreaves aside)).

we have an "England" cricket team that Welsh, Scottish, English etc can play in (and sometimes even South Africans and Aussies etc).

We have a British Olympics team, that any of the home nations can play in.

seems we can't quite make up our minds .....

i find it quite weird that wer have an "England" football team that only English players can play (not welsh or scottish etc (hargreaves aside)).

we have an "England" cricket team that Welsh, Scottish, English etc can play in (and sometimes even South Africans and Aussies etc).

We have a British Olympics team, that any of the home nations can play in.

seems we can't quite make up our minds .....

England, Wales, Scotland and Northern ireland are 4 of the only 5 "countries" recognised by Fifa that aren't countries. Points for anyone who can name the other one.

Yes your right mate, but if i was born in Scotland i would be Scotish, if i was born in Wales i would be welsh etc etc.

I was born in England therefore im English.

Yes your right mate, but if i was born in Scotland i would be Scotish, if i was born in Wales i would be welsh etc etc.

I was born in England therefore im English.

Correct, but technically that's like saying you're a brummy or a scouser.

Like an American being a Texan. Yes he's a texan but he's still American.

You my friend, are British, like it or not....technically.