Totally useless information/trivia

RunRickyRun

This thread is slipping too far down the board for my liking.

**Possible small spoiler for The Wire in the following fact**

In all five seasons of The Wire, Officer Roland "Prez" Pryzbylewski is the only police officer ever seen firing his weapon.

He fires it three times, and each time is a **** up.

~Spoiler alert~

First time he discharges his weapon indoors whilst part of the Barksdale case

Second time, he pistol whips a hopper and causes a gunfight? Although I'm sure Herc and Carver fire shots too?

Third time he shoots a fellow policeman.

Might have to check that one. ;)

Herc and Carver dont shoot in that scene. By the way, that is a huge spoiler in my opinion, as knowing that fact before seeing the show would remove almost all of the tension every time there is a confrontation between the police and the street. Can you please label it so it is more obvious?

Another Wire fact, this time not a spoiler.

Jay Landsman is based on a real person, called Jay Landsman, who also acts.

Jay Landsman auditioned for the part of Jay Landsman but didn't get it.

• 2 weeks later...
Did you know that statistically, somebody is banned from H&V every 30 seconds

That is the same rate that McDonalds erect new restaurants in Scotland

Did you know...

that El Greco's real name was E.L. Grecott?

Chuck Berry wrote many of Shakespeare's plays?

the Everly Brothers turned down a knighthood?

Did you know that the reason why windows steam up in cold weather is because of all the fish in the atmosphere?

Did you know that Moslems are forbidden to eat glass?

Did you know that the oldest rock in the world is the famous Hackenthorpe Rock, in North Ealing, which is 2 trillion years old?

Did you know that Milton was a woman?

Did you know that from the top of the Prudential Assurance Building in Bromley you can see 8 continents?

Did you know that the highest point in the world is only 8 foot?

**** These are just a few of the totally inaccurate facts in THE HACKENTHORPE BOOK OF LIES

It's all in THE HACKENTHORPE BOOK OF LIES - contains over 60 million untrue facts and figures.

Slater Methuen

Don't really understand all this but it might explain AmsterdamNeil's laser pen theory.

So it's clear then I am either a genius or smoke far too much hash. So basically if I understand the above then it's possible that I am sort of correct ?

*Good job I smoke weed then.

I thought you'd touched on the point that if you fire a powerful enough weapon, with it having to keep parallel to the earth, would you shoot youself in the back of the head.

The answer is technically yes as it's essentially the same as how satellites are shot into orbit,

A laser pen, being light, would just point into outer space though

Don't really understand all this but it might explain AmsterdamNeil's laser pen theory.

So it's clear then I am either a genius or smoke far too much hash. So basically if I understand the above then it's possible that I am sort of correct ?

I thought you'd touched on the point that if you fire a powerful enough weapon, with it having to keep parallel to the earth, would you shoot youself in the back of the head.

The answer is technically yes as it's essentially the same as how satellites are shot into orbit,

Yeah I thought that's what he was getting at too.

Although wouldn't the speed of a bullet be fast enough to escape earth's gravity (as is the light from a laser pen) so it would go into orbit?

(although I'm sure in practise the bullet would lose speed fast enough to neither get round the world or into space.)

Two completely different things going on here.

The bullet story is all about horizontal velocity vs. gravity. The laser business is about the conjecture that space itself is curved.

The laser business is about the conjecture that space itself is curved.

Yep that's what I was getting at. A laser would IMO go round the universe and I would have a red dot on the back of my head. "Hold it steady though !!!" as I suspect a sneeze might make it miss.

The thing about the Bullet is a good one, but I think it's been done. (fire bullet (level to ground) / drop bullet at same time and both bullets hit ground at same time.

If you fire directly into the sky, the bullet should eventually lose speed, fall and hit you on the forehead

would th wind not change its course ?

No, I've assumed the experiment would be played out in a vacuum

Â