January Transfer Window 2024

TheAuthority

1 hour ago, eholm said:

Ramsey not good enough? He was phenomenal last season on the left and will be at that level again very soon. Only way to get him up to full speed is to play him - short term pain and all that......

Stop mentioning last season ffs  look at the position we are in you think we got time to wait until he gets back to last seasons levels NO we need someone playing there who has momentum and full energy, never said hes a bad player hes a top player when operating at the levels he did last year… we cannot afford to drop out because we are waiting for him to hit full speed. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, Don_Simon said:

He's just back from a significant injury.

The short termism from Villa fans blows my **** mind. 

So we start players, that are not ready, for the rigours of a top 4 battle?

If you play, players back from injury or any other absence,  and they are below, their normal levels, be prepared for the consequences.....He is not ready, for full blown intensity, and thats what we need, if we want to fulfil the well documented ambitions.

There is no long game....if you want top 4, there is just the here and now.

Otherwise, abandon the dreams, and see where we finish....that is of course, an alternative.

Last night, was obvious, he needed to come off.

• Thanks 1

49 minutes ago, TRO said:

One of his biggest fans here.....but his performances are lightweight, right now.

One of his biggest fans too btw people have taken what i said out of context as @TRO rightly said his performances are not cutting it at this moment in time and we cannot afford to wait for him to reach that level right now, for me tielemans must start there when fit … ramsey and zaniolo have to hold a spot on the bench.

Edited by RicRic
  • Thanks 1

For me new top RB so konsa can play in his normal CB position and if we are happy with Tielemans and Ramsey rotation then we must find a forward player that can rotate with watkins and LM/LW 

Lenglet not good enough cannot start there for me too shaky and Carlos does silly passes and gets us into trouble 

Edited by RicRic

17 minutes ago, RicRic said:

Stop mentioning last season ffs  look at the position we are in you think we got time to wait until he gets back to last seasons levels NO we need someone playing there who has momentum and full energy, never said hes a bad player hes a top player when operating at the levels he did last year… we cannot afford to drop out because we are waiting for him to hit full speed. 

Its like the old chesnut of moaning about the players form.....not the player in general.

I am with you, I feel its the energy, intensity and urgency that is required primarily, the touch and match sharpness will come later.

Players, do lose form, and much of the time, there is latitude, for them to find it playing in the first team or they have to work on it at the training ground.....but the higher you go up the greasy pole, the harder it is to wait for them.....It becomes ruthless at the top, and some of the top managers, won't wait, they expect you to find your own form..sink or swim.

I have empathy, for out of form players, or returnee's from injury, but winning don't wait for anyone, and we all pay homage to that, including the manager.

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, sne said:

Realistic DCM/CM targets: Guido Rodríguez (expiring contract), Wilfred Ndidi (expiring contract)

Less realistic target: Youssouf Fofana (18 months left on his contract at Monaco)

Would really like us to sign Federico Redondo (1 year left on contract). Never watched him play :D but he's supposed to be really promising. Main reason thou being that his dad was one of the most underrated and best midfielders of his generation. And also a really great guy by all accounts. :)

I'm rooting for Boca to snatch Redondo as well. Looks good now and can continue to grow. I'm not sure if he's ready for the physicality of the PL and european competition yet, but he'd be dirt cheap for you guys and you don't need him to start immediately anyway.

Edited by Daulmakan
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, RicRic said:

What’s with the aggression?? Years ago this forum used be great for reasoned discussion and debate - now, any difference in opinion or aspect often generates this type of response. 

FWIW, my opinion, is that he needs the games to get to his pre-injury level asap and so the alternative i.e. recruiting another player seems a bit premature as that player would also require time to adapt to our system, new country etc etc. especially when we have other areas of the squad that are more in need of reinforcements e.g. RB. 

• Like 4

4 hours ago, ROTTERDAM1982 said:

Uni was trying to sign Ugarte apparently, which suggests to me he is after a more robust midfielder to play alongside Kamara. Wouldn't surprise me if we go for Paulinha from Fulham

He would be £50m - £60m. Very good player, but he will have more than a few offers. 

10 minutes ago, John said:

He would be £50m - £60m. Very good player, but he will have more than a few offers. 

I'd spend that money on Frimpong before buying Palinha. Not a bad player but not worth that money IMO. Frimpong might be the world's best RW in a couple of years.

Atletico's Nahuel Molina could be a cheaper replacement. 

Edited by Daulmakan
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, TRO said:

One of his biggest fans here.....but his performances are lightweight, right now.

Absolutely agree but for the OP to suggest we need to recruit to replace JJ seems very short sighted, imo, for the reasons I stated. The lad will get back to the levels of last season after a few more games and with BK and YT returning imminently there is simply no need to recruit for the LHS position as we have plenty of options should JJ take longer than expected. 

2 hours ago, RicRic said:

One of his biggest fans too btw people have taken what i said out of context as @TRO rightly said his performances are not cutting it at this moment in time and we cannot afford to wait for him to reach that level right now, for me tielemans must start there when fit … ramsey and zaniolo have to hold a spot on the bench.

I think that some, including myself, have disagreed with your JJ comments as your initial post inferred that you wanted to replace him and Zaniolo with a new addition. This made no sense to me but now you have clarified that you were referring to using YT as an alternative until JJ gets back to sharpness, then that seems a good approach - after all we have 4/5 players in the squad who can fill that LHS role. 

7 minutes ago, eholm said:

I think that some, including myself, have disagreed with your JJ comments as your initial post inferred that you wanted to replace him and Zaniolo with a new addition. This made no sense to me but now you have clarified that you were referring to using YT as an alternative until JJ gets back to sharpness, then that seems a good approach - after all we have 4/5 players in the squad who can fill that LHS role. 

Im open to whatever is going to make us able to cement a top four finish, i expect Emery to be mapping that out as we speak other than preparing for Saturdays fixture, the window opens very soon and we should be drawing a shortlist to make things happen. YT has shown a good level there but i also wouldn’t go against bringing in a new recruit for that position to strengthen us but i feel RB is priority. 

53 minutes ago, eholm said:

What’s with the aggression?? Years ago this forum used be great for reasoned discussion and debate - now, any difference in opinion or aspect often generates this type of response. 

FWIW, my opinion, is that he needs the games to get to his pre-injury level asap and so the alternative i.e. recruiting another player seems a bit premature as that player would also require time to adapt to our system, new country etc etc. especially when we have other areas of the squad that are more in need of reinforcements e.g. RB. 

There was no aggression fyi and i only like to see us debate without crossing the line especially villa fans no place for that here 🤝

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, RicRic said:

Im open to whatever is going to make us able to cement a top four finish, i expect Emery to be mapping that out as we speak other than preparing for Saturdays fixture, the window opens very soon and we should be drawing a shortlist to make things happen. YT has shown a good level there but i also wouldn’t go against bringing in a new recruit for that position to strengthen us but i feel RB is priority. 

Yep, agree on YT. I’m just not sure we will do a great deal in Jan, principally due to FFP and so if we are able to recruit for an attacking position after getting a RB, I would prefer someone who could cover Ollie and also give us more creativity in the central no10 area to enable us to better negate the low block tactics that the majority of teams we play will now look to do. These players cost big money so doubt that will happen until the Summer…