Ukraine v England/Scotland v England

andykeenan

30 minutes ago, Genie said:

Harry Maguire marking (and holding) another England defender as Ukraine score 🤦‍♂️ 

IMG-0908.jpg

To be fair that's misleading, he does track their 9 just like he should

The goal is from Henderson and maddison not tracking back

rice gets drawn in to the ball because maddison isn't there and Hendersons not covering

Maguire doesn't actually do anything wrong

Our goal is brilliant, Henderson in kanes position and kane in Hendersons

Spose it's one of them where you can't say too much because kane got the assist but he's picking the ball up just over the half way line, he's got 7 England players in front of him including both of our holding midfielders....its the same roy of the rovers bullshit rooney did for years, it's **** stupid

• Thanks 1

England performed like a team knowing the manager is about to leave.

No urgency whatsoever.

Some odd player choices, for instance Gallagher should be nowhere near an England team.

A few other players with question marks, Maguire, Phillips should not be under consideration as they aren't playing regularly.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, villa4europe said:

rice gets drawn in to the ball because maddison isn't there and Hendersons not covering

Hmmm I think that’s very kind. If he holds the 12 yard spot then it’s no goal. Number 9 is heading towards Guehi so there isn’t really a need to double up on his run. He leaves a massive hole in the middle of the penalty area which Zinchenko exploits (there was another Ukrainian forward ready to tap it in too). Appalling defending.

• Like 1

Henderson and Maguire are done at this level. To keep selecting them is just a farce. Southgate will hold always hold England back from winning any major tournament. Look around Europe and the likes of Germany are in continued decline, he just has no solution against very good teams across Europe, we could establish ourselves as champions but won’t, especially with the young talent we have. I don’t miss watching England games at all 

22 minutes ago, Genie said:

Hmmm I think that’s very kind. If he holds the 12 yard spot then it’s no goal. Number 9 is heading towards Guehi so there isn’t really a need to double up on his run. He leaves a massive hole in the middle of the penalty area which Zinchenko exploits (there was another Ukrainian forward ready to tap it in too). Appalling defending.

Maguires on the penalty spot when the 9 makes the run, behind guehi, you can't pass him on there

Starts with maddison, he passes Zinchenko on to rice in the middle which is OK as long as maddison tracks the RB, he doesn't, means they overload Chilwell and rice steps over

From there it's done

Henderson is stood watching it all and does nothing

To be fair you've then got guehi marking no man's land and walker has let the 10 go

Its a shower of shit... And I'd say maguire is the least culpable, he's the only one who sticks with his man

7 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

Its a shower of shit... And I'd say maguire is the least culpable, he's the only one who sticks with his man

Given the bit about other players not tracking back or being out of position it’s even more important Maguire doesn’t abandon the middle of the box leaving a massive hole / queue of Ukraine players waiting for a simple goal.

If he goes positional at that point then he’s ready to block the shot. He gambled, and lost badly.

20 minutes ago, Genie said:

Given the bit about other players not tracking back or being out of position it’s even more important Maguire doesn’t abandon the middle of the box leaving a massive hole / queue of Ukraine players waiting for a simple goal.

If he goes positional at that point then he’s ready to block the shot. He gambled, and lost badly.

I don't agree

And even then I think you're digging out the last man rather than 2 or 3 players that let it get that far

Like I said that starts with maddison, followed by rice and then Henderson not having the legs anymore

Criticism there has an element of "wheres maguire?" paired with it being funny that he ran in to guehi

7 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

Criticism there has an element of "wheres maguire?" paired with it being funny that he ran in to guehi

Quite rightly, it’s the latest hilarious cockup where he runs away from the place he should be to bump into another defender leaving a certain goal for the opposition (take your pick, 2 players had the chance to score).

He’d get the benefit of doubt if he wasn’t so consistently brain dead.

He is a major part of the reason Man United and England have failed to progress in recent seasons. 

• Like 1

He can't pass the 9 on that close to goal, guehi doesn't know he's there

He's watched a run and followed it like he should do

Henderson and maddison haven't, they've watched a run and let it happen

If the 9 makes that run, maguire stands still and the 9 scores we'd all jump in on him, he does the right thing

5 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

He can't pass the 9 on that close to goal, guehi doesn't know he's there

He's watched a run and followed it like he should do

Henderson and maddison haven't, they've watched a run and let it happen

If the 9 makes that run, maguire stands still and the 9 scores we'd all jump in on him, he does the right thing

We’ll have to agree to disagree, the outcome was as bad as it could have been given it left 2 Ukrainians with a clear shot at goal. 

Anything else he did at that point would have been better.

OK we are qualifying easily but we are not learning anything new. That was a lacklustre disjointed performance with little or no creativity. Saka was brilliant the last couple of years but I've noticed he hardly beats a player anymore and keeps cutting back on his left foot. Why Hendsrson played the whole game I don't know. 

4 hours ago, villa4europe said:

I haven't seen the goal and I'm not too invested in what Maguire did...but it looks like he hasn't even managed to track the 9 (as he's got a couple of yards on him) whilst crashing clumsily into another England player in the process.

It's  got to the point now where Maguire will be hammered for whatever he does, by almost everyone. Another reason why Southgate should not be starting him. He almost needs to play abroad for a mid-table outfit with no scrutiny to be forgotten about before making any sort of comeback. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, May-Z said:

I haven't seen the goal and I'm not too invested in what Maguire did...but it looks like he hasn't even managed to track the 9 (as he's got a couple of yards on him) whilst crashing clumsily into another England player in the process.

It's  got to the point now where Maguire will be hammered for whatever he does, by almost everyone. Another reason why Southgate should not be starting him. He almost needs to play abroad for a mid-table outfit with no scrutiny to be forgotten about before making any sort of comeback. 

Yeah, the problem with Maguire is (and its not necessarily his fault), he has been elevated to a status way beyond his skill set.  A large transfer fee, playing for Manure, multiple England caps.  He is a bog standard premier league CB, no more, no less.  If Southampton had bought him for £15m and he got a couple of caps, no one would give a shit about him.  But he was built up to be this mythical ball playing CB, and has just become a bit of a laughing stock.  The same has happened to Henderson (who is a modern day Geoff Thomas), but throw in some hypocrisy to boot.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, May-Z said:

On the last point I don't think anyone will try that as that's what Smalling did and it never got him back in the fold.

25 minutes ago, VillaJ100 said:

On the last point I don't think anyone will try that as that's what Smalling did and it never got him back in the fold.

And by most accounts smalling has had some good spells over there

Tomori is also probably our best CB with stones and Mings out but Southgate again goes with the experience bullshit, coady had more experience than him for the WC squad

And again that you don't need experience to beat the likes of Malta and can use games like Scotland to give players experience is completely lost on him

Edited by villa4europe

4 hours ago, VillaJ100 said:

It would stop him being absolutely panned after every game though

Â