Clément Lenglet

Tom13

8 hours ago, Kingman said:

Apparently he is wanted by Milan 

I saw that. The tweet I saw said that Milan were negotiating with Monchi. Lenglet plays for Barcelona so I’m pretty sure that Monchi would have zero involvement. Sounds like bs to me. Hopefully he will stay until the summer. He’s just starting to show signs of real quality.

5 minutes ago, M_Afro said:

I saw that. The tweet I saw said that Milan were negotiating with Monchi. Lenglet plays for Barcelona so I’m pretty sure that Monchi would have zero involvement. Sounds like bs to me. Hopefully he will stay until the summer. He’s just starting to show signs of real quality.

He plays for Monchi's team and has a loan contract with Monchi's team. I very much hope Monchi has significant involvement.

• Like 2

He wasn't bad against Everton, but was still a clear downgrade on Pau. Had some nice moments, but also quite a few questionable ones and his range of progressive passes was limited. But then, trying to replace the most progressive defender in the league is always going to be a struggle

He was part of the reason we struggled to create much, even with Everton doing a half press at times.  Still, apart for the abysmal ref missing an obvious penalty we should still have won, and he's an able deputy for Pau when needed.

As 4th or 5th choice he's a level above what the rest of the league have at centre back, and given his wages I wouldn't be surprised to see him being sent back in the summer if Ty looks like he's recovered. Would be madness to terminate the loan early on our terms though, unless we've got a signing coming in that is nearly as good. 

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, Don_Simon said:

He plays for Monchi's team and has a loan contract with Monchi's team. I very much hope Monchi has significant involvement.

He won’t have much to be fair. Milan will negotiate with Barcelona and Lenglet’s management team. If all parties want the deal to happen, Barcelona will recall him and then loan him/sell him to Milan. The only involvement Monchi will have is to try and convince Lenglet to stay.

Lenglet has done exceptionally well, almost seamless tbh, defensively strong, forward play not as good as Torres but that's comparing him to the very best.

Would like to see him in a back 3 with Konsa and Torres, KK and Moreno as attacking full backs.

Lenglet has a loan deal with us until the summer, Emery has already said he ain't going anywhere even though Milan need him,  we need him more.

We play in the biggest league in world football so Milan will just have to look elsewhere. 

• Like 2

37 minutes ago, M_Afro said:

He won’t have much to be fair. Milan will negotiate with Barcelona and Lenglet’s management team. If all parties want the deal to happen, Barcelona will recall him and then loan him/sell him to Milan. The only involvement Monchi will have is to try and convince Lenglet to stay.

Unless there is no break clause, which seems to be the case here. 

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, M_Afro said:

Not true, villa loaned him for the season.  Barcelona probably don’t have a call back clause as its a big fee so Milan would have to give Villa money to get him out of contract 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, HeyAnty said:

Not true, villa loaned him for the season.  Barcelona probably don’t have a call back clause as its a big fee so Milan would have to give Villa money to get him out of contract 

Also I doubt Milan are able to pay the wages that we are paying

26 minutes ago, HeyAnty said:

Loans almost always have a unilateral break clause in favour of the loaning team. That’s why we were able to recall Azaz and Hayden without Plymouth being able to stop us.

If Villa are due compensation due to an early callback then it will be Barcelona who have to pay it to Villa. Villa don’t have a contract with Milan. Milan would then have to agree a payment with Barcelona to compensate Barcelona for their loss to Villa. That’s why it’s incredibly unlikely to happen and most likely bs.

1 hour ago, M_Afro said:

We agreed with Barca a season long loan. It's a contract. If we don't want Lenglet to leave, he won't. If we give it the okay, he will. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Don_Simon said:

We agreed with Barca a season long loan. It's a contract. If we don't want Lenglet to leave, he won't. If we give it the okay, he will. 

As I said before, almost all loan contracts enable the parent club to call the player back. Plymouth agreed season long loans with Villa for both Azaz and Hayden but we decided to recall them against the wishes of Plymouth, who unfortunately for them, could do nothing about it. It did not require the ok from Plymouth. All the power was with Villa.

I believe that’s exactly the same for Lenglet. I obviously haven’t seen his contract but if it is any different, then that would be unusual. Two parties can agree whatever they want in a contract so long as it is within the confines of the law but usually there is a unilateral clause in the favour of the parent club that enables a recall. 

10 minutes ago, M_Afro said:

As I said before, almost all loan contracts enable the parent club to call the player back. Plymouth agreed season long loans with Villa for both Azaz and Hayden but we decided to recall them against the wishes of Plymouth, who unfortunately for them, could do nothing about it. It did not require the ok from Plymouth. All the power was with Villa.

I believe that’s exactly the same for Lenglet. I obviously haven’t seen his contract but if it is any different, then that would be unusual. Two parties can agree whatever they want in a contract so long as it is within the confines of the law but usually there is a unilateral clause in the favour of the parent club that enables a recall. 

All you say is true but, so far, Barca has not recalled Lenglet. If that possibility exists in the contract why no action so far? Is it because Barca has no need of the money from the player sale or has Monchi got other irons in the fire with Barca which are more important to them? Who knows: I don’t.

4 minutes ago, PerryBarrPet said:

All you say is true but, so far, Barca has not recalled Lenglet. If that possibility exists in the contract why no action so far? Is it because Barca has no need of the money from the player sale or has Monchi got other irons in the fire with Barca which are more important to them? Who knows: I don’t.

I suspect the key factor here is Lenglet. If he wants to stay at Villa then he will. If he wants to go to Milan (or anywhere) then he will. He’s been getting more starts recently. That might be enough to convince him to stay. I hope he stays. I think he’s been getting better every week.

The chances are Lenglet hasn't got a recall clause in his contract, he was loaned in after Mings got an injury that was going to keep him out for 12 months, it would be pretty short sighted for us to have negotiated terms that only covered half of that time.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, tinker said:

The chances are Lenglet hasn't got a recall clause in his contract, he was loaned in after Mings got an injury that was going to keep him out for 12 months, it would be pretty short sighted for us to have negotiated terms that only covered half of that time.

This.

4 hours ago, M_Afro said:

Loans almost always have a unilateral break clause in favour of the loaning team. That’s why we were able to recall Azaz and Hayden without Plymouth being able to stop us.

If Villa are due compensation due to an early callback then it will be Barcelona who have to pay it to Villa. Villa don’t have a contract with Milan. Milan would then have to agree a payment with Barcelona to compensate Barcelona for their loss to Villa. That’s why it’s incredibly unlikely to happen and most likely bs.

Didn't we pay a fee for the loan? If we did then there's unlikely a break clause as the fee we paid would have been for a full season.

7 minutes ago, daggy_333 said:

Didn't we pay a fee for the loan? If we did then there's unlikely a break clause as the fee we paid would have been for a full season.

We did pay a fee mate. That’s very normal. There will likely be a pre agreed compensation sum due back to Villa should Barcelona trigger any early release. Again, that’s common practice for loan contracts. 

22 minutes ago, M_Afro said:

We did pay a fee mate. That’s very normal. There will likely be a pre agreed compensation sum due back to Villa should Barcelona trigger any early release. Again, that’s common practice for loan contracts. 

It was worded along the lines of no loan fee but cover the salary or most of it. Thats whats killing Barca. They have to get wages off the books more than revenue into the club. 

6 hours ago, M_Afro said:

If Barcelona don't have a recall option (and it seems likely they don't) then it's our decision if we agree with a mutual cancellation of the Loan deal 

It was a similar situation with Hause at Watford. There was not recall or option to cancel. It needed mutual consent 

Â