Our Way

Awol

Emery has spoken often about “Our Way”, in different contexts, and seemingly with different meanings. “We work in our way”, “we have three points for our way”, etc. 

Is it an easy catch all term capturing many different issues, or is it a label for his wider philosophy of football? Is he just a Mandalorian fan?

When you hear Emery speaking of Our Way, what does it mean to you? 

• Like 1

aston villa with an identity for the first time since MON and even then MONs identity was kick and rush counter attacking relatively basic low level stuff

"our way" to me is patience, draw them out, spring the trap

Edited by villa4europe
  • Like 1

It means His Way but with everyone following willingly.  He leads this by being relentless. By being obsessive in doing everything possible to be ready for a game. 

The ultimate pragmatist but in a good way. 

Hibs had been terrible at defending crosses so far this season. So he saw this and we put more crosses in the air than i can remember since he came here. 

Newcastle went wrong. He accepted responsibility and then got our team winning 3 games in a row in style  . 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

aston villa with an identity for the first time since MON and even then MONs identity was kick and rush counter attacking relatively basic low level stuff

"our way" to me is patience, draw them out, spring the trap

So for you it’s about a style of football that belongs to Aston Villa, something that is executed by the players but exists independent of them? A club DNA, kind of? 

1 minute ago, MWARLEY2 said:

It means His Way but with everyone following willingly.  He leads this by being relentless. By being obsessive in doing everything possible to be ready for a game. 

The ultimate pragmatist but in a good way. 

Hibs had been terrible at defending crosses so far this season. So he saw this and we put more crosses in the air than i can remember since he came here. 

Newcastle went wrong. He accepted responsibility and then got our team winning 3 games in a row in style  . 

Okay, so it also encompasses an attitude to how the team operates, not just on the pitch but the way everyone is to approach their job, day to day. 

10 minutes ago, Awol said:

So for you it’s about a style of football that belongs to Aston Villa, something that is executed by the players but exists independent of them? A club DNA, kind of? 

yeah i think its a style of football but then also played within a culture that he's tried to generate at the club

the worst thing for me under gerrard is that I thought we'd become a dirty team, there were a few games like forest and leeds where I remember 20+ fouls and it started to feel like every game of ours was us getting kicked about with the recurring theme being us not our opponents

we've now spun that around, I think we play good entertaining football in a fair fashion with some very likeable well rounded individuals - basically other than lifting a cup emery's villa are everything you could want as a fan

• Like 1

I take it to mean our philosophy basically (and I don't particularly like that word) but the methods he uses and everybody buying in to them. From analysing the opponents meticulously to formulating a game plan for each opponent. But all still based on the same fundamental principles of how we play, like the shape, playing from the back, building with the 3 etc.

7 hours ago, Awol said:

Emery has spoken often about “Our Way”, in different contexts, and seemingly with different meanings. “We work in our way”, “we have three points for our way”, etc. 

Is it an easy catch all term capturing many different issues, or is it a label for his wider philosophy of football? Is he just a Mandalorian fan?

When you hear Emery speaking of Our Way, what does it mean to you? 

He's just talking about El motor de Villa. 

To me it means our team playing in the style of our manager. They are the physical representation of his ideas and beliefs on the pitch. We are tactically agile, demanding the best of themselves and each other. We have a style of play to build from the back, be patient, draw teams out and then lightening quick in transitions to hurt teams with pace and guile. The players are also taught to be humble and fair, we can beat teams without cheating. Emery would never want us to be cheats. The drive for continuous improvement is also key, even when winning we can always fine tune and find areas to improve. 

That’s just some of the attributes of ‘our way’ that I can see. I’m sure there’s more to it than that, and I love it.

• Like 3

Â