The relative strength of the premier league

Pinebro

On 15/12/2023 at 15:58, Zatman said:

I dont believe the Premier League is that competitive. As a comparison though its just a random comparison but the gap from 4th place to the relegation zone is currently 24 points the same as La Liga, Serie A is 13 points, Ligue 1 is 15 points, Bundesliga is 19 points 

That for me suggests its not that competitive

I think that particular measure is heavily influenced by the fact that that the PL bottom 3 are quite weak this season. 

If we do another arbitrary measure and say the gap between 1st and 14th (and I've used that because 14th was the bottom of my phone screen when I loaded the table),

Premier League 18 points

Bundesliga 23 points

La Liga 25 points

Serie A 22 points

Ligue 1 22 points

If we do 1st to 8th for the teams on the hunt for Europe, it's

Premier League 11

Bundesliga 15

Serie A 15

La Liga 17

Ligue 1 13

Now admittedly this is also heavily influenced by the weaker bottom 3 or 4, but I think it reflects that there are less easy games in the Premier League. There's more teams with genuine CL aspirations. People may say that PL player values are overrated, but the extra money in the league all the way down makes a difference. 

13 hours ago, NoelVilla said:

If we win the Conference League it is very likely that all three European competitions will be won by a Premier League team(Man City and Liverpool).

I think Liverpool will throw the Europa League if they are in a title race

• 4 months later...

This seems like a topic where no-one can even agree on what they're comparing. Is it the overall wealth of the league? Is it the European performances of its teams? If so, over this season, or over several seasons? Is it a general sense of footballing ability, not measure by European performance? Is it comparing the on-paper footballing strength of sides? Are people comparing Man City and Real Madrid, Brighton and Osasuna, or Sheff Utd and Almeria? Is a league stronger if it's more even, or weaker?

What's any of this *for*, really?

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, Zatman said:

I know it's a joke and a bit of banter, but the German teams weren't doing much "harvesting" that last three years when no German team could get past the quarter finals in the CL.

1 minute ago, duke313 said:

I know it's a joke and a bit of banter, but the German teams weren't doing much "harvesting" that last three years when no German team could get past the quarter finals in the CL.

giphy.gif?cid=2154d3d7c96ahhagdezkmd41kb

It must be said, Germany has it marginally easier due to having a smaller league (18 teams) and only one cup competition, making it a minimum of 5 fewer games they play compared to an English team.

How impactful in terms of fitness that is I cannot say, but it could potentially be the difference between health and injury for key players 

If I want to discuss what nation is better in a footballing construct, that's what World Cups are for.

Nothing ties any given league's teams together other than geography, and many of the big clubs would like to remove that association in return for "being rich" as the main binding agent.

If the league is feeling insecure about not doing well in Europe this season then maybe they could go down the US model and just name their national champions "World Champions". 

Â