Ratings & Reactions: Newcastle v Villa

limpid

Match Polls  

187 members have voted

1. 1. Who was your man of the match?

2. 2. Manager's Performance

3. 3. Refereeing Performance

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 14/08/23 at 22:59

1 minute ago, Pinebro said:

But it's worthless to vent about that as this is how he plays football and isn't changing.

In that case we are ****

But it's worthless to vent about that as this is how he plays football and isn't changing.

A better ball playing defender doesn't do Konsa's mistake

I think he will too. But now we're without Mings, and will be in big trouble.

4 minutes ago, Zhan_Zhuang said:

Totally agree, Villa knew what to expect....

Just weather it for twenty minutes FFS.

Villa capitulated, hence why I am completely justified in calling it underprepared...

I don't care who is responsible, it's just soft.

There's a difference between calling us unprepared for the game today (it's debatable but certainly a fair point) and that "unprepared is our motto", which is just ridiculous hysteria.

3 minutes ago, Zhan_Zhuang said:

'Cos they aren't ready? Equals unprepared, semantics right.

No? It takes time to bed new players in. There's a reason why literally most clubs don't just throw all their new signings in straight away.

This is such a really weird point, especially when there are actually real things to criticise Emery for.

3 minutes ago, Mantis said:

No it doesn't, it just means the manager is bedding players in slowly and that the window hasn't ended yet. It's incredibly common, so common in fact that Newcastle were in the exact same position I believe.

But Newcastle didn’t start last season with, what was it, two wins in 11 games? We knew early on who wasn’t going to be good enough and they spent much of last season being a passenger, even during our good spell under Unai. And yet, here they are starting again today and playing absolute crap. 
Newcastle started their key new signing (Tonali) and had one on the bench (Barnes), who just so happens to play in the same position as Gordon, who himself joined in January this year for 45m…. Barnes IS going to be a squad player for them. 

1 minute ago, jim said:

In that case we are ****

Yeah because it worked out so badly when he took us from 17th to 7th playing exactly that way.

Maybe just maybe having 2 starters go out to season ending injuries 20 minutes into the season, and already missing 2 more surefire starters, caused structural problems we couldn't fix in game.

Just a thought.

• Like 2

36 minutes ago, Nigel said:

The errors were forced

If you think that konsa mistake was forced then i dont know what to twll you. That was absymal defending from konsa and the same with cash.

Also who forced cash to miss a sitter? All poor errors from ourselves

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, AVTuco said:

I think he will too. But now we're without Mings, and will be in big trouble.

We'll be fine and have another top half finish.

If we can add a trophy on top of that, great.

We're not competing with Newcastle and were never going to.

Edited by Pinebro

Just now, Tayls said:

But Newcastle didn’t start last season with, what was it, two wins in 11 games? We knew early on who wasn’t going to be good enough and they spent much of last season being a passenger, even during our good spell under Unai. And yet, here they are starting again today and playing absolute crap. 
Newcastle started their key new signing (Tonali) and had one on the bench (Barnes), who just so happens to play in the same position as Gordon, who himself joined in January this year for 45m…. Barnes IS going to be a squad player for them. 

What's the relevance of last season's start under a manager that is universally regarded as one of our worst ever? Especially when we finished it so well under the current manager?

Why?

We won't come up against this level of opposition every week.

True but teams will work us out and take advantage. Plus the changes to off side.

Just now, Mantis said:

What's the relevance of last season's start under a manager that is universally regarded as one of our worst ever? Especially when we finished it so well under the current manager?

It’s relevant because we were able to identify the passengers within the team. Some of them went on to improve, some of them continued to disappoint… and some of those individuals started today… 

23 minutes ago, Sam-AVFC said:

Why do you think? Do you think the owners are telling everyone to be shit? The players don't care about the first game? Emery has decided to carry on a long running club tradition of starting badly?

Or maybe correlation =/= causation and we have had a bad first game for different reasons than we have in the past.

Sam what are you talking about?

It obviously falls on the players they cant for whatever reason motivate themselves properly 1st game in a competitive game. We were 3 down to watford and Bournemouth and now we concede 5. If you can't see this is a issue i don't know what to tell you.

3 minutes ago, Mantis said:

There's a difference between calling us unprepared for the game today (it's debatable but certainly a fair point) and that "unprepared is our motto", which is just ridiculous hysteria.

No? It takes time to bed new players in. There's a reason why literally most clubs don't just throw all their new signings in straight away.

This is such a really weird point, especially when there are actually real things to criticise Emery for.

Agree to disagree and all that....

We had a proper mare. I think Ming’s’ injury mentally unsettled the whole team, but Digne, Cash, Kamara, and Bailey had stand out horrible performances. Konsa obviously lost the plot at one point, and we’ve Martinez to thank for it not being an even worse result. 

But.. Emery will fix it, and hopefully the remaining window is used to good effect. Time now for a few of our players to step up, and for Emery to roll out the transfer dice. 

• Like 1

So what if Buendia was injured two weeks ago, not a few days before a game. What would have happened then, do people think? How would the outcome of today have been different (not taking the injury to Mings into account)

2 minutes ago, jim said:

True but teams will work us out and take advantage. Plus the changes to off side.

If opposition teams will start to spam long balls and giving the initiative to us I'd be very happy about that.

2 minutes ago, Zhan_Zhuang said:

Agree to disagree and all that....

I mean, going by your logic pretty much most teams have a culture of unpreparedness running through them.

3 minutes ago, Tayls said:

It’s relevant because we were able to identify the passengers within the team. Some of them went on to improve, some of them continued to disappoint… and some of those individuals started today… 

I can think of literally one player who continued to disappoint who started today (Bailey), and he would almost certainly not have started had Buendia not got injured.

Edited by Mantis