This diesel claim malarkey

Follyfoot

I keep hearing about this service, is it a con or a scam, it seems to be fairly genuine, but there’s no such thing as a free lunch, does anyone know the apple ?

7 hours ago, rjw63 said:

I’d wager if you have a genuine claim these lawyer types will take around 35% of your award as a fee.

That’s fair imo if they are doing all the work, and it’s money you never knew you were entitled to.

I doubt many claims end up with a payout though.

I threw my hat in, and havent had anything yet. Its through My Diesel Claim, they have a cap of 50% deduction plus their fee. So I suspect even with success I wouldnt get a penny.

11 hours ago, rjw63 said:

I’d wager if you have a genuine claim these lawyer types will take around 35% of your award as a fee.

Then you negotiate an upfront fee so the financial risk of failing the claim is on you, rather than the lawyer. Or you do a little bit of reading and submit a claim yourself, increasing the risk of getting no money and spending your own time doing it.

You wont find many people willing to do either of those though. People want to have their cake and eat it and be able to say '**** lawyer types' for expecting to be paid to do a job.

12 minutes ago, Sam-AVFC said:

Then you negotiate an upfront fee so the financial risk of failing the claim is on you, rather than the lawyer. Or you do a little bit of reading and submit a claim yourself, increasing the risk of getting no money and spending your own time doing it.

You wont find many people willing to do either of those though. People want to have their cake and eat it and be able to say '**** lawyer types' for expecting to be paid to do a job.

Are you Petrocelli?

• Haha 1

46 minutes ago, Sam-AVFC said:

I don't care either way.

Last time we did a no-win-no-fee type thing it was for the wife, the amount was so small they just sent it us and didn't take anything (about £27 if I remember correctly).

14 hours ago, Follyfoot said:

I keep hearing about this service, is it a con or a scam, it seems to be fairly genuine, but there’s no such thing as a free lunch, does anyone know the apple ?

VW are almost guaranteed to pay out a couple of grand to each owner, as they have been found out, Mercedes are still fighting it to the hills, case is going on like the Saudis and Man City, so unsure at the moment if we will finally be found guilty.

• Thanks 1

28 minutes ago, foreveryoung said:

VW are almost guaranteed to pay out a couple of grand to each owner, as they have been found out, Mercedes are still fighting it to the hills, case is going on like the Saudis and Man City, so unsure at the moment if we will finally be found guilty.

VW are banged to rights, they have been caught red handed cheating the regulations.

I don’t think anyone else has been found to have been doing what VW did. Maybe some manufacturers were publishing very much best case scenario numbers, but not outright cheating the system with devices on the car that know when they are being tested and holding back emissions.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Seat68 said:

I threw my hat in, and havent had anything yet. Its through My Diesel Claim, they have a cap of 50% deduction plus their fee. So I suspect even with success I wouldnt get a penny.

Same here - with the same company. I’ve had 2 VW cars that fall into the affected bracket - so filled out the forms for both and await an outcome. It’s been a good few months but if I get anything it’s a bonus. 

I joined the VW class action Gordon Slater claim in 2017 when the scandal broke.  

5 years later they settled and my share was around £3,000 with Gordon Slater taking £1000 of it for their costs. 
Didn’t mind them taking their cut, I got £2k for pretty much doing nothing. 

I did have to prove I owned the car at the time of them faking the emissions, receipts of purchase and lot of questions. But didn’t take more than an hour for me to do.

The total settlement was for £193 million so must have been a lot of people in that class action.

Edited by ender4
  • Like 1

Â