Future Club Crest & Brand Identity

fightoffyour

2 hours ago, delboy54 said:

Looks like this is going to be used for the anniversary season.

Design by committee is never a good idea, look at all the designs for the badge on this thread there is no design that everyone likes !

I have had a link to the survey, but not done it yet.

What do we want the badge to "say"?, if we want the club to appeal to a more global audience then just a lion and 1874 says nothing to a potential fan in Asia. I think it has to have the words Aston Villa somewhere on the badge as a minimum doesn't it?

Tin hat firmly on........

So true, I don’t think there will ever be one that is universally liked… some may love it while others begrudgingly accept it - at best. As long as too many don’t hate it! 😆

I think you’re right on “design by committee” being a bad idea too…

Possibly why we ended up with this one but I also feel like we were restricted or “led down that road”… the options were too limited, there wasn’t enough choice or variation. I mean… did anyone actually want the lion to face right? It’s just looks stupid and awkward on a shirt…

I suspect there would have been less “discontent” if the lion actually faces the same way as our old crest, a completely unnecessary and uncalled for change.

If the round badge was the most popular or desired option (not so sure, as I said - we were led in that direction) why not have just adapted this then?

spacer.png

The new badge is worse!

Edited by Jas10
  • Like 1

16 minutes ago, Teale's 'tache said:

For anyone that wanted a colour version of the diamond design...

spacer.png

I absolutely love this and its definitely just me but its annoying me that the aston villa isn't boxed in with the blue border.

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, Teale's 'tache said:

spacer.png

Love this - I think if you incorporate the gaslamp shield into this, it will be *chef's kiss* perfection

• Like 1

2 hours ago, fightoffyour said:

It might say "Aston Villa" to you but unfortunately it's just a lion for the majority of the World's population.

We need a stronger brand that then allows for the lion to be unleashed with our name and become recognisable globally.

Understood, yeah I just mean that it’s obvious to me (and many others I assume). That particular lion is Aston Villa and nothing else.

But we can adapt designs and add or remove text as desired. No problem with adding Aston Villa to the lion as long as it’s done well.

I’m just not so sure that we “need” a shield or badge or circle… it doesn’t need to be overly complex or fussy design - that can make the whole thing less noticeable or bold.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, PeterSw said:

Love this - I think if you incorporate the gaslamp shield into this, it will be *chef's kiss* perfection

Again, we’re not all going to like the same thing… for me, I’m not keen on a diamond at all - it’s far too narrow overall and would look odd or even kind of obscured amongst the other PL badges.

I don’t think a tall and narrow design looks or works that well.

The quality of Teale’s work is excellent but I, personally, haven’t “fallen in love” with any of his designs and stand by my admiration for our previous and long term lion.

Nothing really looks as good as this for me, but all of our opinions differ so wildly.

spacer.png

32 minutes ago, PeterSw said:

He's already done that...

On 28/09/2023 at 15:31, Teale's 'tache said:

spacer.png

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

@Teale's 'tache my only concern with the badge you presented (which has absolutely everything I want in it really) is that it's a predominantly claret badge, which will sit on a largely claret home shirt. 

But I want our badge to be mostly claret, and the lion to be gold.

I think the double blue border works to combat that concern, but I hope if they go down that route they've thought about how it looks on the home kit (and not having to resort to a mono colour version of it).

9 minutes ago, MrBlack said:

@Teale's 'tache my only concern with the badge you presented (which has absolutely everything I want in it really) is that it's a predominantly claret badge, which will sit on a largely claret home shirt. 

But I want our badge to be mostly claret, and the lion to be gold.

I think the double blue border works to combat that concern, but I hope if they go down that route they've thought about how it looks on the home kit (and not having to resort to a mono colour version of it).

Yes, I agree, and you can kind of go around in circles with this where you think it has to have a blue background so it stands out on the shirts, but then that doesn't sit as well on white and other colours, and the lion would then have to be claret and so on and so forth. In the end, I think it's best to just create something that is 'Aston Villa' and worry about the use cases after that.

The image below shows how some clubs get around a similar problem, if you look at the Crystal Palace, Southampton and Man Utd badges in particular.

spacer.png

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Teale's 'tache said:

Yes, I agree, and you can kind of go around in circles with this where you think it has to have a blue background so it stands out on the shirts, but then that doesn't sit as well on white and other colours, and the lion would then have to be claret and so on and so forth. In the end, I think it's best to just create something that is 'Aston Villa' and worry about the use cases after that.

The image below shows how some clubs get around a similar problem, if you look at the Crystal Palace, Southampton and Man Utd badges in particular.

spacer.png

Sold!

Although now I've got no bright side to look at when it's not as good as your design 😭.

😜

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Teale's 'tache said:

spacer.png

Issue with having so much claret is you won’t really see it on the shirt. Bit of an issue with the new badge 

18 minutes ago, HKP90 said:

I see what you mean by simple, and I don't disagree with that, but I think we need more than just a Lion.

I just scanned the PL and football league crests and (arguably, some are a bit wonky) 13 teams had a Lion included in some capacity. Of course there are nuances about how they are displayed, but my point is that when someone says 'that team, you know the one with the cockerel standing on a ball', you think Tottenham, because... well, unique. When someone says 'that team with the Lion', they are not going to necessarily think of us. In fact they are, according to most of the sources I've just googled, more likely to think of Chelsea. We'd know, obviously, but the crest is supposed to be a symbol that encapsulates us, and projects our singular image. 

No one else has the golden arches. Let's be unique. And not shit, obviously. 

I did the same exercise. Chelsea, Middlesbrough, Burnley, Glasgow Rangers, are the main ones I think of.

1860 Munich and Lyon also have prominent Lions.

Then there's the Premier League Logo on the sleeve patch, Holland, Scotland, England, Czech Republic National Teams. 

Lions.png.b51243bdffb369dfe1b81212ca50e809.png

15 hours ago, Captain_Townsend said:

My ranking of villa badges

1. The one that was there until the late 1960s (claret lion on a blue shield)

2. The round badge we had 1970s- 1992

3. The 90s crest with prepared underneath 

4. The late 90s/early 00s upgrade of the 90s crest to a shield.

5. The post 2016 upgraded Lerner badge

6. The original Lerner badge, 2007-2016

Just Don't give us more yellow than either blue or claret.

I agree entirely

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Spoony said:

Issue with having so much claret is you won’t really see it on the shirt. Bit of an issue with the new badge 

I think this is less of an issue with a gold lion which stands out as a highlight on the shirt

• Like 4

34 minutes ago, Spoony said:

That works in making it virtually an unleashed lion anyway on a claret shirt then, which is why the lion and Aston Villa look great in gold. We’re not going to have a gold kit, we don’t even need to ever have a yellow one again.

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, Spoony said:

The claret lion is what exacerbates the issue on the current badge. It's kind of bland and lacks vibrancy.

• Like 2

14 hours ago, Jas10 said:

This was the one I quickly changed on phone. I just think claret on a claret shirt (maybe not taken into account that often) is too “bland”, dull or boring. The gold/yellow really breaks things up and makes the lion stand out, which should be the focal point:

spacer.png

spacer.png

The shield idea is fine, and I don't fault the attempt, but it's too much like West Ham's for my taste (which is easily the worst badge in the league). I really hope we don't make our badge look like something out of PES or a primary school.

Edited by His Name Is Death
  • Like 1

Â