F: Walsall a: Sat July 15 13.00

ender4

2 hours ago, Sulberto21 said:

Good run out , ground was mainly Villa - be good to get those sort of numbers for the Women’s games think we might win a few more. 

As expected a lot of players used some good combinations. Liked the look of O’Reilly was it?

Good to see Ashley Young’s son Kadan stand on his own two feet without having his dad around. 😂

Also a lot of players in League 1/2 have come from the Premier League academies but they didn’t get the opportunity or life circumstances at the wrong time curtailed their progress. And the fitness is getting better as well as the organisation. 

Walsall should try and loan some of our youngsters I think they’ll do well for them.

Lovely quaint ground Our Bescot . 

Grandson, in fact!

• Haha 2

7 hours ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

Newcastle are currently losing to Gateshead.

People really shouldn't take pre season too seriously one way or another.

You can have a stormer of a pre season and be tripe in the League.

We've looked very comfortable and slick despite score

Especially not first game.

Didn't we win every game under Gerrard last season? I watch preseason to see how we play, coherence, fitness etc. Last season we looked abysmal in those departments despite winning every game.

• Like 2

Very interesting to watch the game stylistically...

How the philosophy is starting to soak in even to the rookie players; it's wonderful to see.

I wasn't bothered about the score because the bigger picture is way more important; match-fitness, style of play, improvement, camaraderie etc. All part of Professor Emery's vision.

Douglas Luiz is just wonderful to watch, a step ahead.

Tommy O'Reilly, Kadan Young, Iroegbunam, Bidace , Bogarde all looked very good.

Difficult to imagine how any of them could get close to the first-team though.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Zhan_Zhuang said:

How the philosophy is starting to soak in even to the rookie players; it's wonderful to see

Same for me, the playing out from the back under pressure was especially evident. Both keepers did well under pressure. 

It's going to be interesting to see which one of the youngsters gets a chance, O Reilly looked the most promising but he's in an area where we are blessed with options. 

Kadan looked talented, he killed a lofted  40 yard pass with one touch and looked a real live wire.......can he play right back? 

8 hours ago, I Make Pies said:

What was going on around kick off? We were still warming up when Walsall came out. I know it's the first game of preseason but that's a bit too casual.

Decent run out overall. Moved the ball around well in the first half but a bit toothless up front. The kids injected some energy into the game when they came on and we played better after that. Looked shaky from corners though.

We treated it more like training than a game I thought.  Patterns of play and so on not too concerned about the result.  The still warming up when Walsall ran out for kick off.  Then at HT nobody went to the dressing room apart from the players replaced and that was after chats with Unai and coaches on the pitch.

Nice to see Sanson again and all the kids did well.   USA trip will be a different feel I think we will take that more seriously.

2 hours ago, Zhan_Zhuang said:

How the philosophy is starting to soak in even to the rookie players; it's wonderful to see.

I wasn't bothered about the score because the bigger picture is way more important; match-fitness, style of play, improvement, camaraderie etc. All part of Professor Emery's vision.

Douglas Luiz is just wonderful to watch, a step ahead.

Tommy O'Reilly, Kadan Young, Iroegbunam, Bidace , Bogarde all looked very good.

Difficult to imagine how any of them could get close to the first-team though.

Until we play them, we will be second guessing....we said this about Jacob, intially.....There comes a time( and thats the 64 million dollar question, when?) when the first team is the only place to give us the answer, and even then, they have to grow in to it.

Jacob, was lucky, to get his chance, even though he earn't it.

I think, quite a few, did themselves ,no harm, today.

Edited by TRO

1 hour ago, S-Platt said:

We treated it more like training than a game I thought.  Patterns of play and so on not too concerned about the result.  The still warming up when Walsall ran out for kick off.  Then at HT nobody went to the dressing room apart from the players replaced and that was after chats with Unai and coaches on the pitch.

Nice to see Sanson again and all the kids did well.   USA trip will be a different feel I think we will take that more seriously.

The objective was primarily fitness......and the second one was, don't get injured......its hard to find an edge, under those conditions.

I don't think there was much to read in to.....However the urgency level raised ,when the younger players was introduced, second half, but I guess that was inevitable.

Â