Race for Champions League - 2023/2024

Don_Simon

1 minute ago, PaulMcGrath_5 said:

My mate who is a Spurs fan is going to the game against City and said "I hope we lose 50-0".

I just asked my mate that support Spurs and he said lose 20-0 to City! 

Guess he doesn’t want them to lose as much as your mate.

• Haha 1

14 hours ago, VillaChris said:

Ideally if it has to happen like that they only beat Burnley by a goal. Hopefully Burnley will attempt to keep things tight for an hour rather than gung ho from kick off otherwise Spurs will beat them 4 nil like Newcastle did as they are certainly not good enough to go toe to toe with Spurs. We'll see as Burnley have drawn away to Chelsea and Man. United in last month so not like they're complete no hopers and Spurs are actually in worse form than either.

So in that scenario (and we lose to Liverpool by a single goal) then situation on final day is this:

Us 67 points -19

Spurs 64 points -12

There then needs to be a 7 goal swing in Spurs favour on the final day e.g we lose to Palace 2-1 and they beat Sheffield United 7-1.

Now I know Sheffield United are one of the worst teams we've seen in a long while at this level but it's not like they lose by six goal margins every week. In recent times they've lost 3-1 to Liverpool and 4-2 to Man. United. Also got a 2-2 v Chelsea.

Can Spurs just turn it on and score 7 or even 8 in a blink of an eye. Again form isn't suggesting that at all, they only scored two v Luton when they won that game.

This is all still very much in our favour as long as we don't attempt ridiculous high line tactics v Liverpool as they will expose us and beat us by a few goals. Spurs only beating Burnley by a single goal is far from a terrible result though.

i think its 100% in our favour, I just think Spurs will get a point at city. Just feels like one of these stupid football scenarios that arent supposed to happen. 

I dont think we will lose our last two games. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

Spurs fans will be disgusted if they helped Arsenal win the league.

i think too much is looked into here. Of course its not their preference, but they wouldnt want to throw the game and the players will 100% not want them to throw the game. Even if the fans did not like it, it would make 0 difference to Ange and the players.

The extra day of recovery post olympiacos could be crucial. Probably the only time I've ever been happy for a game being moved to Monday night 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

I just asked my mate that support Spurs and he said lose 20-0 to City! 

Guess he doesn’t want them to lose as much as your mate.

Its a pity that the fans aren't playing the game...

• Haha 2

16 minutes ago, El Segundo said:

Agree with this.  Spurs have been very poor recently but are odds on to beat Burnley and will be for Sheffield Untied too. 

We look worn out, Liverpool are odds on to beat us, and we have a poor record against them at VP.  Palace are 4th in the current form table with all their best players fit again.  It's quite possible we struggle to get another point. 

So if it goes to form it comes down to the Spurs v City game and Spurs have a good record against them at home.  

So, we're in bad form and aren't going to get another point?  But Spurs who are also in bad form are going to get something from City? No logic there.

• Like 1

Wherever we get them from and however we get them, we need a bigger squad of better players next season to maintain the momentum of this season, particularly if we qualify for CL. Sounds obvious, but it's been borne out by our lack of options when the injuries have hit this year - the drop off is noticeable. What has been achieved has been extraordinary all things considered, but we can't be this weak again at the business end of the season, if we really want to compete next year.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, cheltenham_villa said:

i think too much is looked into here. Of course its not their preference, but they wouldnt want to throw the game and the players will 100% not want them to throw the game. Even if the fans did not like it, it would make 0 difference to Ange and the players.

This is why I said it’s imperative that Arse beats Manure first to put the acid on City. If Arse stumble against Manure it’s title gone before they play Spuds. Hopefully Peps and Emery’s friendship helps him in persuading Pep to go for the jugular hahaha

2 minutes ago, duke313 said:

So, we're in bad form and aren't going to get another point?  But Spurs who are also in bad form are going to get something from City? No logic there.

That isn’t what he said? He just said it may come down to the Spurs vs Man City game and Spurs have a good record against Man City.

1 minute ago, duke313 said:

Spurs 4 losses were against Newcastle A, Arsenal H, Chelsea A, Liverpool A... most teams in the league would lose these 4 games one after another.... Spurs form is poor last 4 games but the difficulty of thie fixtures is not being considered in this poor form...

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Lerner's Driver said:

Wherever we get them from and however we get them, we need a bigger squad of better players next season to maintain the momentum of this season, particularly if we qualify for CL. Sounds obvious, but it's been borne out by our lack of options when the injuries have hit this year - the drop off is noticeable. What has been achieved has been extraordinary all things considered, but we can't be this weak again at the business end of the season, if we really want to compete next year.

Gut feeling if we qualify for the CL is that we won’t be this weak at the business end because chances of making the CL semi finals will be slim. 

2 minutes ago, ben1505 said:

Spurs 4 losses were against Newcastle A, Arsenal H, Chelsea A, Liverpool A... most teams in the league would lose these 4 games one after another.... Spurs form is poor last 4 games but the difficulty of thie fixtures is not being considered in this poor form...

Most teams yes brother but not a team that’s running 5th in the league and ahead of two of the teams they lost two. 

4 minutes ago, CroVillan said:

Most teams yes brother but not a team that’s running 5th in the league and ahead of two of the teams they lost two. 

Here's hoping that they play angeball against Man City next week

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, nepal_villan said:

What makes fans nervous is the prospect of it going to the final day.  It would mean Spurs got a result against Man City and will be motivated to destroy Sheffield United. It will also mean we lost to Liverpool and would be on our worst run this season.  

Let’s hope this is done and dusted by next Tuesday.  

Spurs v City on 7am on 15th May, my 50th birthday... would be a great present....

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, cheltenham_villa said:

They’d never throw the game away. Just wonder how much fight they will have against a relentless City. If every single player does not have the game of their lives they will lose. 

I think they’ll get smashed.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

They’d never throw the game away. Just wonder how much fight they will have against a relentless City. If every single player does not have the game of their lives they will lose. 

I think they’ll get smashed.

The good thing is that big flange seems set in his methods... Defending against City and hitting on the counter MIGHT be a way to get a result against them but I suspect that Spurs will go full Seppuku against City...

• Like 2