Race for Champions League - 2023/2024

Don_Simon

1 hour ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

Totally get those that would rather have the conference over top 4 but it reminds me a bit of the Stanford Marshmallow experiment. 

I’m happy to hold off celebrating a conference league for future success.  

But we’ll do both anyway so it doesn’t matter.

I don’t.  Makes not sense to me.  Need to look at bigger picture 3-4 years down line.  I personally was going mental with my lad when we scored against Arsenal.  Cant see i got off the chair for lille goals

• Like 2

34 minutes ago, PaulMcGrath_5 said:

Who did Newcastle sign as a result of qualifying last year? Tonali... Anyone else?

Tbf they signed Tonali, Barnes, Livramento for 100+ million. 

• Like 1

Just now, beasley14 said:

And they didn’t have to sell one of their best players which we might have to do (rumours i know) inorder to balance the books if we don’t make CL

If you look at spurs game against Man City, arsenal, Liverpool and Chelsea, think 4 /6 points is max they will get. Be amazed if they don’t lose at least 2 of those. 4 points would leave them with max of 70 points to get. Goal difference won’t change much either those games. 71 points I would say will get 4th

2 hours ago, Pinebro said:

I do think Spurs will come up with a surprise result.

They are an unpredictable team.

They need two. Just beating Chelsea away likely won't be enough now, they probably need to beat Arsenal also. Can't see them getting anything v Liverpool or Man. City so they're effectively got four games now to get minimum of 10 points and put some pressure on us given the GD swing.

Edited by VillaChris

10 minutes ago, HeyAnty said:

I don’t.  Makes not sense to me.  Need to look at bigger picture 3-4 years down line.  I personally was going mental with my lad when we scored against Arsenal.  Cant see i got off the chair for lille goals

Sold into the hype of THE GREATEST LEAGUE IN THE WORLD because beating a little old French side isn't anything.  But the MIGHT of Arsenal?  WOAH!

Edit:  Either that, or a large proportion of our fan base are turning into that Arsenal fan base that everyone used to take the piss out of for "winning the top 4 trophy".  Some delicious irony in there, somewhere.

Edited by bobzy
  • Like 1

Just now, bobzy said:

Sold into the hype of THE GREATEST LEAGUE IN THE WORLD because beating a little old French side isn't anything.  But the MIGHT of Arsenal?  WOAH!

No it wasn’t that.  It was 4th to get CL.  I don’t really care about a 3rd rate euro cup if im being honest.  And i hate FA cup as well.

• Haha 1
  • Shocked 1

11 minutes ago, beasley14 said:

2 of them were relegated, not superstars people think we be automatically attracting

Edited by Zatman

1 hour ago, LondonLax said:

It’s worth considering that the nations which get the two extra Champions League places this year will then have a disadvantage when competing for who gets gets the two extra spots next year as their coefficient will be divided by an extra team in Europe. 

Really interesting point that. 5th will be more important next season I think as we're more likely to be in the chasing pack with the extra games (potentially 8 CL games before January finishes) so could work out better in the long run if it's just 4th this year.

Just now, HeyAnty said:

No it wasn’t that.  It was 4th to get CL.  I don’t really care about a 3rd rate euro cup if im being honest.  And i hate FA cup as well.

I'd take winning an FA cup over three successive seasons of CL.

Winning it would be our biggest day and moment since 1982.

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, HeyAnty said:

And they didn’t have to sell one of their best players which we might have to do (rumours i know) inorder to balance the books if we don’t make CL

They had to sell to buy still

1 minute ago, bobzy said:

God, how depressing.

Given I was a child, my feelings toward it were probably heightened - but winning the League Cup back in 1994 and 1996 was amazing.  I'd long for us to win something again rather than a qualification for a competition we'd likely do nothing in.  It makes no sense (to me) because the aim of football is surely to win, not to get the most money.

They’ve devalued it so much.  Removing replays etc.  Was always good for upsets and that got people interested.  Never happens now.  

1 minute ago, HeyAnty said:

They’ve devalued it so much.  Removing replays etc.  Was always good for upsets and that got people interested.  Never happens now.  

That's because of the money at the top end of the game meaning sides are able to assemble squads that can compete, comfortably, across multiple competitions.  We're one of those clubs currently within the Europa Conference League.  That's why it's not as good...

...but seemingly you're also a fan of that because of the drive to win 4th place?  I don't get it.

49 minutes ago, PaulMcGrath_5 said:

Who did Newcastle sign as a result of qualifying last year? Tonali... Anyone else?

Tonali was about £60m wasn't he ?

Harvey Barnes was £44m

Livremento was £32m + £8m

and they now have to pay Chelsea something like £28m for Lewis Hall 

Gordon was £40m in the Jan window and could well have been bought with CL money in mind ? 

2 minutes ago, bobzy said:

That's because of the money at the top end of the game meaning sides are able to assemble squads that can compete, comfortably, across multiple competitions.  We're one of those clubs currently within the Europa Conference League.  That's why it's not as good...

...but seemingly you're also a fan of that because of the drive to win 4th place?  I don't get it.

Yeah i guess i am then based on your analysis. Would i rather watch Real Madrid at villa park than Bury?  Absolutely.

14 minutes ago, Cmac said:

If you look at spurs game against Man City, arsenal, Liverpool and Chelsea, think 4 /6 points is max they will get. Be amazed if they don’t lose at least 2 of those. 4 points would leave them with max of 70 points to get. Goal difference won’t change much either those games. 71 points I would say will get 4th

People rating Spurs basing on our 4-0 loss anomaly and ignoring the facts that their away form last 10 is horrific, they looked dejected after Wham draw and Angeball is a myth and the cause of them getting spanked vs Newcastle. They'll get a big win vs likes of us and be Jekyll and Hyde vs anyone else

I was too young to remember the league cup wins in the 90s. I am a generation scarred by the defeats at Wembley, both old and new, I want us to win a trophy so badly. It doesn’t mean that Champions League isn’t a priority also, we are an in a strong position to do both and that to me is honestly incredible. 

Edited by The_Steve
  • Thanks 1