Race for Champions League - 2023/2024

Don_Simon

3 minutes ago, GlobalVillan said:

It's playing out exactly as it looked like it would back in January, with us nowehere near the title race but battling Spurs for 4th and 5th. 

I expected us to finish 5th but within 15 points of the top and to clear 70 points. This projection is a bit less than I hoped points wise so hopefully we can add a couple more points somewhere.

I can't see Man City coming 2nd though so there's definitely wiggle room in that table.

It doesn't take into account injuries etc. Form teams are in. Whether they are fighting for something etc. Playing Palace now or last game of the season may be a different proposition, for example.

8 minutes ago, MSvillain said:

I think its more just an inferiority complex some people have, despite all the stats and the eye test they are still 'big bad man utd' to some

That cocking up from 2-0 vs them is good for another good few years of mental scarring 

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, GlobalVillan said:

It's playing out exactly as it looked like it would back in January, with us nowehere near the title race but battling Spurs for 4th and 5th. 

I expected us to finish 5th but within 15 points of the top and to clear 70 points. This projection is a bit less than I hoped points wise so hopefully we can add a couple more points somewhere.

I can't see Man City coming 2nd though so there's definitely wiggle room in that table.

Struggling to see Spurs get many points from their next 6. I think we're big favourites for 4th now though 5th probably gets CL

• Like 1

While we're chatting Utd's remaining games the rearranged game at home to Sheff Utd is midweek between Cov in the semi and Burnley at home, Other than that they have Bournemouth and Palace, same as we do, With a game to rearrange against Newcastle and Arsenal and Brighton.

I'm not worried about Utd personally.

3 minutes ago, Kiwivillan said:

Struggling to see Spurs get many points from their next 6. I think we're big favourites for 4th now though 5th probably gets CL

Yes there is room for a couple of points swing with us and Spurs in that table, which could very well mean we pip them for 4th.

11 minutes ago, DakotaVilla said:

Man Utd have Chelsea away and Liverpool at home in the next week. If they win both of those and we only get one point out of man city and Brentford we will still effectively be 7 points ahead with 6 games remaining. Any discussion regarding Man Utd will hopefully be confirmed as being academic come the end of the weekend. 

Well have to count the game in hand v Sheffield, that puts it at 4 points. That's why I said Brentford's point was important as otherwise that would be 2 points.

look when it comes down to it, Spurs have less games to play than us and arguably easier games.

That makes them favourites.

With so few games to go anything can happen and it will all be clearer in a couple of weeks.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, VillaJ100 said:

Well have to count the game in hand v Sheffield, that puts it at 4 points. That's why I said Brentford's point was important as otherwise that would be 2 points.

What are you lot jabbering about, Man Utd are done, 5th place is the minimum now.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, paul514 said:

What are you lot jabbering about, Man Utd are done, 5th place is the minimum now.

Yeah Man United are out of it now, but he is saying that they wouldn't have been had they won at Brentford. Which I agree with.

Thankfully, they didn't so it's irrelevant.

2 minutes ago, GlobalVillan said:

Yeah Man United are out of it now, but he is saying that they wouldn't have been had they won at Brentford. Which I agree with.

Thankfully, they didn't so it's irrelevant.

it's 12 points with 9 games to go, it would have been 10. Either way it is over.

Those 6 points against Manure would have made everything a little easier. 

we need to take each game as it comes and take the opportunities that present themselves within them. 

If we play well against City then we have to take chances as and when they come. 

1 minute ago, paul514 said:

it's 12 points with 9 games to go, it would have been 10. Either way it is over.

No it would have been 9 points with a game in hand v Sheff U, so effectively 6 points with 9 games to go. Although it still would have been a tough ask, you couldn't have ruled them out of the race in that scenario. 

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, GlobalVillan said:

No it would have been 9 points with a game in hand v Sheff U, so effectively 6 points with 9 games to go. Although it still would have been a tough ask, you couldn't have ruled them out of the race in that scenario. 

Have a lay down.

3 minutes ago, Sulberto21 said:

Those 6 points against Manure would have made everything a little easier. 

we need to take each game as it comes and take the opportunities that present themselves within them. 

If we play well against City then we have to take chances as and when they come. 

Those 6 points against them would have made us outsiders for the title.

1 minute ago, paul514 said:

Have a lay down.

Lol we have to play the top three and could easily get zero points from them. Man U could easy shit their way through dodgy reffing and VAR to 2 wins while we're playing those matches and suddenly were level on points and above them on goal difference. 

It's not probable but if any poisonous cyst of a club would do it it would be those turds

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, paul514 said:

Have a lay down.

What? You think a 6 point gap with 9 games to go would be totally uncatchable? And with the confidence of a last minute away winner at Brentford?

They certainly would have been still in the race and that is all the chap above was saying.

Maybe it's you that needs a lie down. 

Anyway, no point debating that one, we will never know, as it didn't play out thay way thankfully.

Edited by GlobalVillan