Race for Champions League - 2023/2024

Don_Simon

Just now, calcifer said:

Both teams still have the top 3 to play. But going by today's performance they will all batter us! Awful today. 

Need to beat West ham and Wolves, get some of our GD back that's took a hit today. 

All we can do is keep going. 

4 points from West Ham-Wolves at a minimum, ideally six.

West Ham are two down at home to Burnley after playing europa so looks like they're even flatter than us, will give the second half of that a watch.

It's clear we don't need another indifferent run like we had over the xmas period otherwise we will be in big trouble.

16 minutes ago, Zatman said:

Great another dramatic United loss meltdown incoming

Lets settle for 7th as United and Chelsea catching us

Losing our captain, off the back of a hammering against top 4 rivals, at home, absolutely opens the door for other teams to target overtaking us

Just now, GingerCollins29 said:

Losing our captain, off the back of a hammering against top 4 rivals, at home, absolutely opens the door for other teams to target overtaking us

They can target it all they like. It won’t happen. 

Basic maths shows the swing needed is enormous. 

5th is done. 

• Like 1

I would say spurs will win more points than we will given the games left. We have no central midfield left do we. Best case is 5th and that may not be champions league.

Would be a massive massive missed opportunity.  

• Like 1

Just now, Hank Scorpio said:

I would say spurs will win more points than we will given the games left. We have no central midfield left do we. Best case is 5th and that may not be champions league.

Would be a massive massive missed opportunity.  

Best case is 4th. 5th is more likely though.

It's not over by any means but make no mistake this is a big blow. Losing heavily to a competitor, losing McGinn for the next 3. We need to get this result out of our system fast.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Stevo985 said:

5th is done. 

I'm not so sure. It's only 8pts with 30 still to play for.

2 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

5th is done. 

Hope you're right. 

We lose next three, utd win next three, then we're 6th. 

5th is not done imo

1 minute ago, villan95 said:

I'm not so sure. It's only 8pts with 30 still to play for.

Just now, GingerCollins29 said:

Hope you're right. 

5th is not done imo

The likeliness of that happening is minute. And we’d still have 7 games left to fix it. 

Even if Utd produced title winning form for the rest of the season, like 2.2PPG, we’d only need 14 points to beat them. 

10 points from our last 10 games and 5th is ours, imo

1 minute ago, GingerCollins29 said:

Hope you're right. 

5th is not done imo

Then they lose the 3 after that and we win our? 

Next season will be the issue even if we make CL.

I'm amazed at the confidence in people thinking we won't do a Newcastle.

We have FFP issues and posters seemingly o.k with us taking a -6 deduction so I don't see the flexibility in being able to attract 3-4 top level players and rotate the squad that way.

If we get a Newcastle type group then we'll be playing a big hitter away on the Wednesday and then possibly playing a Spurs away on the Saturday.

We basically played the first half today dead on our feet and frightened to concede any space so they'll be loads more games like that next season if the fixture list isn't kind as it was in the first half of the season playing bottom half teams at VP straight after europa matches.

6 minutes ago, Pinebro said:

Never wanted to play the new CL format anyways. Old format was better.

Not been in the same since they binned off away goal anyway. All of Europe competitions.

Johnston paint trophy is where it's at.

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Mantis said:

Best case is 4th. 5th is more likely though.

When the pressure is on they crumble. We will need to take points off Liverpool, Chelsea etc.  Just can't see it given how they seemingly can't cope under pressure.

2 minutes ago, GingerCollins29 said:

Hope you're right. 

5th is not done imo

We can get 4 points off West Ham-Wolves. Give Tim a run out and see what he does. He's a CM.

To get 4th we're going to need to beat likes of Chelsea and possibly Liverpool at home now so that's where things get complicated.

Just now, Hank Scorpio said:

When the pressure is on they crumble. We will need to take points off Liverpool, Chelsea etc.  Just can't see it given how they seemingly can't cope under pressure.

I'm not disputing that, but you said the best case was 5th - it isn't, it's 4th. We're literally still in 4th, albeit Spurs have a game in hand. Personally I think we will end up finishing 5th but the best case realistic scenario is 4th. Ruling it out at this stage is ridiculous.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Stevo985 said:

The likeliness of that happening is minute. And we’d still have 7 games left to fix it. 

Even if Utd produced title winning form for the rest of the season, like 2.2PPG, we’d only need 14 points to beat them. 

10 points from our last 10 games and 5th is ours, imo

I'd say we need 4 wins from our last 10 to be sure and ideally I'd like 5. Our fixture list isn't the kindest but neither is United's I guess.

3 minutes ago, calcifer said:

Then they lose the 3 after that and we win our? 

Exactly. You can’t look at 3 games in isolation. You have to look at form over longer periods.