Race for Champions League - 2023/2024

Don_Simon

1 hour ago, duke313 said:

We created plenty of chances last night to win two games. The back four last night weren’t responsible for all the sitters we missed.

No......Just the ones ,they got.

• Like 1

I'm more confident after yesterday's performance than I was going into the game tbh. 

That was our best performance for some time and we were incredibly unlucky to lose that game. A different day we win that 3-1. Fine margins in football. 

Plus with players coming back I feel it will be a huge boost to the rest of the team.

3 minutes ago, Pongo Waring said:

If we play like we did yesterday in the remaining 14 games. Villa will finish top 5.

Not if the work in the 2 boxes, remains the same.....its all very noble, to play in a manner that seduces the eye.....but there are other critical elements, in a game, that have to be achieved too.

Its not always, just bad luck.

1 minute ago, TRO said:

Not if the work in the 2 boxes, remains the same.....its all very noble, to play in a manner that seduces the eye.....but there are other critical elements, in a game, that have to be achieved too.

Its not always, just bad luck.

We were the better team yesterday.

If the work in the two boxes remains the same, we still finish top 5.

1 minute ago, Delphinho123 said:

With Konsa and Kamara likely out for the season, that’s us done I’m afraid. 

Its more than just that, but I agree a huge set back.

1 minute ago, Delphinho123 said:

4 minutes ago, Delphinho123 said:

I want to argue with you but serious long term injuries to Kamara, Mings, Buendia and Konsa in the space of one season plus the medium term of Pau, Digne and Ramsey alongside all the other short term injuries would ruin the season of even the strongest of squads. 

Edited by WallisFrizz

8 hours ago, the_sun_never_sets said:

We lost 3 games in a row last Feb right? Then Emery tweaked a few things and we finished the season strongly. 

Out if interest how many points did we get in the last 14 games of last season? If we replicate that form I'm sure we'd get close to a total for 4th?

Last 14 games started with a 1-0 win at home to Palace (had also won 2-0 at Everton the previous week) and it really was an incredible run of form up to May.

In total we took 30 points from last 14 so that would be 76 and easily 4th imo.

Not sure it's the same sort of vibe now as Emery was new back then and all the methods were clicking into place whereas now some bad habits are starting to develop e.g. slow starts at home, giving cheap goals away from set pieces. That was not an issue last season.

10 minutes ago, WallisFrizz said:

I want to argue with you but serious long term injuries to Kamara, Mings, Buendia and Konsa in the space of one season plus the medium term of Pau, Digne and Ramsey alongside all the other short term injuries would ruin the season of even the strongest of squads. 

Yep, we’ve got no chance with the injuries we’ve had. Even a side like Man City would struggle. 

It’s a miracle we are where we are and if the worst fears are confirmed, which I believe they will be, we’ll do VERY well to finish 6th. 

1 hour ago, wict01 said:

I can't see us picking up points against anybody half decent while this back four is the one being wheeled out. Fate has certainly conspired against us with these injuries! Whilst I don't think individually Lenglet, Carlos, Cash and Moreno are actively bad players by any stretch, it's just a combination that does not seem to work. 

It reminds me of 08/09 actually when we lost Laursen and ended the season with combinations of Cuellar and Knight/Davies. All three did o.k with a Laursen type alongside him but none of them could lead on their own. That's something I really commend Konsa for as he's developed into a leader in the absence of Mings but Carlos and Lenglet simply aren't those types and so we're just giving away needless goals by leaving players unmarked at set pieces and crosses.

1 hour ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

Spurs will potentially be THE season defining game.

The problem with playing that is three days after europa match. Does winning the group mean we'll have the second leg at home or is it an open draw?

Unai has a major decision to make if we have a trek to Eastern Europe, I suspect he'll leave a couple of big hitters at home.

Spurs will soon be a speck on the horizon. Time to start looking over our shoulder than even thinking about the teams above us.

Our luck has run out and we’ve been poor for a long time (yesterday aside). Injuries will kill us and id be surprised if we finish 6th. 

4 minutes ago, Delphinho123 said:

Spurs will soon be a speck on the horizon. Time to start looking over our shoulder than even thinking about the teams above us.

Our luck has run out and we’ve been poor for a long time (yesterday aside). Injuries will kill us and id be surprised if we finish 6th. 

That’s the spirit

• Haha 1

12 minutes ago, VillaChris said:

It reminds me of 08/09 actually when we lost Laursen and ended the season with combinations of Cuellar and Knight/Davies. All three did o.k with a Laursen type alongside him but none of them could lead on their own. That's something I really commend Konsa for as he's developed into a leader in the absence of Mings but Carlos and Lenglet simply aren't those types and so we're just giving away needless goals by leaving players unmarked at set pieces and crosses.

Looked at that 08/09 season last week and if we had beaten Man Utd was going to say it would take a 08/09 collapse for us to finish below 5th I think but that's gone out of the window. Club won 2 of the last 13 games that season, didn't realise it was that bad of a collapse. Would like to think even without Konsa and Kamara we wouldn't be that bad! 

1 minute ago, RichW said:

Looked at that 08/09 season last week and if we had beaten Man Utd was going to say it would take a 08/09 collapse for us to finish below 5th I think but that's gone out of the window. Club won 2 of the last 13 games that season, didn't realise it was that bad of a collapse. Would like to think even without Konsa and Kamara we wouldn't be that bad! 

Carlos and Lenglet without Kamara to shield them seems like a bad situation to me.

3 minutes ago, Hank Scorpio said:

Carlos and Lenglet without Kamara to shield them seems like a bad situation to me.

Pau will start at Fulham so I think that will settle Diego down a bit and they'll be better organisation from set pieces.

1 minute ago, VillaChris said:

Pau will start at Fulham so I think that will settle Diego down a bit and they'll be better organisation from set pieces.

Right and who replaces Kamara? Team is weak as ****.