Race for Champions League - 2023/2024

Don_Simon

4 minutes ago, DCJonah said:

We also beat spurs at their place and I think we can do them at ours. 

I'd take a point. We're playing them three days after the first leg of europa so that's the issue if that's a 3-4 hour away trip.

Think they'll lose comfortably at Liverpool and Newcastle like we did so we'll have more opportunities during the run in to get a decent lead over them again imo.

1 minute ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

We need to be winning today regardless of Spurs results. It’s the bottom of the league team. 

But it’s also not the last game of the season so getting back in to 4th today means **** all.

We do need to win as I'm still targeting 70 points for this season.

So getting to 46 points after an indifferent run feels psychologically better than failing to beat the bottom club for second time in six weeks and then wins do feel really hard to come by.

4 minutes ago, GingerCollins29 said:

We had 4 shots on target the whole game, against bottom of the league

No doubting we were poor but that was one of the few games where the decisions really did cost us.

Newcastle, the worst in the league away, go to Villa (unbeaten at home in 17) and win comfortably. Then, as one of the best teams in the league at home, they play Luton and concede 4.

Football is a very funny sport

Edited by wishywashy
  • Like 1

Fair play to Luton, batter Brighton in the week and hammering Newcastle at SJP. We'd never do that to them, haven't won there since 2005. Cursed ground for us and seems we struggle at home to them now too.

We need to come out flying against Sheffield Utd and get back in that top 4. 

16 minutes ago, GingerCollins29 said:

We had 4 shots on target the whole game, against bottom of the league

True but I’d be shocked if they parked the bus the same way at home. Draws aren’t going to do them any good. 

6 minutes ago, wishywashy said:

Newcastle, the worst in the league away, go to Villa (unbeaten at home in 17) and win comfortably. Then, as one of the best teams in the league at home, they play Luton and concede 4.

Football is a very funny sport

I still think Newcastle will beat Luton. There's not long left, but enough 

That's an area where we really lack I think, we don't seem to get many points from losing positions.

5 minutes ago, jackbauer24 said:

I still think Newcastle will beat Luton. There's not long left, but enough 

That's an area where we really lack I think, we don't seem to get many points from losing positions.

That would be another case of football being incredibly funny: we've been one of the best in the league when it comes to coming from behind, and Newcastle are one of the worst!

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Leeroy said:

Fair play to Luton, batter Brighton in the week and hammering Newcastle at SJP. We'd never do that to them, haven't won there since 2005. Cursed ground for us and seems we struggle at home to them now too.

We need to come out flying against Sheffield Utd and get back in that top 4. 

It was literally one game. They hadn't scored against us at VP before that since 2013.

Just now, Mantis said:

It was literally one game. They hadn't scored against us at VP before that since 2013.

True, it might not become a recurring theme. Well it's about time we go to SJP and win next season then, been long enough. 

Think Luton will beat us tbh based on what I saw today. They are lightyears ahead of what they produced at VP in the final third now.

Vital we get some wins in the next month.

Need to look at the bigger picture. We remain 10 points clear of Newcastle and it could be 13 points clear in just over two hours. That's a team everyone would've been delighted to finish above in August, more so after the opening day mauling.

17 minutes ago, VillaChris said:

Think Luton will beat us tbh based on what I saw today. They are lightyears ahead of what they produced at VP in the final third now.

Vital we get some wins in the next month.

Need to look at the bigger picture. We remain 10 points clear of Newcastle and it could be 13 points clear in just over two hours. That's a team everyone would've been delighted to finish above in August, more so after the opening day mauling.

You don't deserve nice things. 

• Like 1