Ratings & Reactions: Villa v Brighton

limpid

Match Polls  

250 members have voted

1. 1. Who was your man of the match?

2. 2. Manager's Performance

3. 3. Refereeing Performance

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 31/05/23 at 22:59

Ramsey finishing the season with a bang. His miss was a harder chance to take upon replay. But sill a miss, and he's missed a few sitters now. Hopefully he can tighten that up and add to his Villa goal tally. 

But his overall play today was electric. The sky is truly the limit with him. I do worry a bit about his progress if he's on the bench more next season. 

Only one sub right? Fair play, there were some nerves at the start and Cash had a rough time, but in the last 20 he made the exact kind of calm, sensible decisions with the ball that Young would have been brought on for.

I think with the dust settled, the refereeing performance and the amount of pressure we were under in the second half were both a bit overstated; they weren't really in it for the last half hour. For me if anything the ref should objectively have booked Luiz early on and was then guilty of overcompensating for several decisions after their players went nuts and pressured him (without getting a yellow for it...), but by the end it had evened out and they were committing more fouls and getting penalised for them.

Brighton have been excellent and doing a double over them is very satisfying, especially seeing as we were playing far more incisive football for the goals and chances this time out compared to the grim rearguard action at the Amex. We'd probably be tempted to say we're a slightly better team than them as of right now, but you can't say they don't deserve 6th over a full season with a good manager and that style of play in place.

Considering where we've been, 7th would have been a ridiculously good season for us even if Emery had come in in pre-season, to get it after being out of the relegation zone on goals scored at the end of October is unreal.

• Like 1

I was in tears at the final whistle. People might laugh that it’s the Conference League, but seeing that we were 17th when Don Unai came in, this is an amazing achievement! 

I’m absolutely fuming that all Sky seem to care about is sucking off Everton. Honestly, what gives? 

• Like 1

Â