Chris Heck - President of Business Operations

sne

50 minutes ago, CVByrne said:

It hasn't been cancelled.

Delaying the demolition of the North Stand has been the best decision made by the club in 2023

We need the redevelopment urgently. We are not capitalising on the Emery era. There are thousands of fans who aren't getting the opportunity to go to games,  get hooked and be our core supporters in the next generation. 

We don't have the facilities as present to keep up with Spurs,  West Ham etc. And soon Everton. Delaying just pushes us further behind for a longer amount of time. And I am fairly confident he has cancelled rather than delayed because his whole approach seems to be 'if my predecessor planned it I am not doing it'. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Don_Simon said:

NSWE had nothing to do with Terrace View, Lower Grounds or the crest design?

Yes they will. No way do major infrastructure changes or main branding change not get taken to and authorised by the board. 

The problem is it's difficult to bring in a new CEO, give him a brief and then overrule him when he brings his ideas to the board. 

You've got to really, really object to what he's proposing otherwise you'll immediately lose the shiny new CEO you've just recruited. Especially in the early days. 

NSWE might be slightly uneasy about some things but ultimately if you've brought a man in to run the shooting match you've got to let him do it his way or why bring him in? 

That's the way companies work. Senior managers will be attending regular board meetings and reporting on their figures, their operations, major initiatives and projects. The board will grill them and ultimately decide if they agree and support them or deny them and ask them to do something different. 

It's not the same as micro management but NSWE will have full oversight and give a yes or no to anything major. They'll certainly be looking for evidence of why a decision has been made and asking probing questions. 

• Like 1

Profile on him in the Sunday times today. Nothing too groundbreaking in it but he comes across well. He’s very well thought of at the 76ers and if he replicates the financial growth he managed there at Villa we’ll be in good shape.

19 minutes ago, El-Reacho said:

Profile on him in the Sunday times today. Nothing too groundbreaking in it but he comes across well. He’s very well thought of at the 76ers and if he replicates the financial growth he managed there at Villa we’ll be in good shape.

As much as I dislike thm, there are a fair amount of similarities in terms of history/stature/'underachieving'/city size between Villa and Philly. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, sidcow said:

Yes they will. No way do major infrastructure changes or main branding change not get taken to and authorised by the board. 

The problem is it's difficult to bring in a new CEO, give him a brief and then overrule him when he brings his ideas to the board. 

You've got to really, really object to what he's proposing otherwise you'll immediately lose the shiny new CEO you've just recruited. Especially in the early days. 

NSWE might be slightly uneasy about some things but ultimately if you've brought a man in to run the shooting match you've got to let him do it his way or why bring him in? 

That's the way companies work. Senior managers will be attending regular board meetings and reporting on their figures, their operations, major initiatives and projects. The board will grill them and ultimately decide if they agree and support them or deny them and ask them to do something different. 

It's not the same as micro management but NSWE will have full oversight and give a yes or no to anything major. They'll certainly be looking for evidence of why a decision has been made and asking probing questions. 

Sorry mate, I was attempting to be rhetorical with the previous poster. Absolutely NSWE played pivotal roles in all decisions being made, it's ludicrous to praise them for all positives and absolve them of any criticism for negatives.

Edited by Don_Simon
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, MrBlack said:

... care to elaborate for those of us without a subscription?

He says the planned new north stand was cancelled because there was no sense in having a 50k+ seater stadium that didn’t have the surrounding infrastructure to support it (parking and train capacity). 
Says the brick warehouse at the entrance to the north stand will still be converted to a large F&B destination.

Says he cringes at our players tunnel so they are redesigning it to make it much more intimidating for away teams. He says it currently resembles a council leisure centre.

He picks out 3-4 areas of the stands from where they are on the pitch that need redevelopment but it doesn’t give anymore detail on those.

• Thanks 1

He also says the days of bigger clubs coming and taking our best players are gone. 

“They can try all they want,” says Heck, firmly. “But maybe we’ll try to buy one of their players. I think this idea that we’re here for the taking is dated. And we need to move on from that.”

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Captain_Townsend said:

We need the redevelopment urgently. We are not capitalising on the Emery era. There are thousands of fans who aren't getting the opportunity to go to games,  get hooked and be our core supporters in the next generation. 

We don't have the facilities as present to keep up with Spurs,  West Ham etc. And soon Everton. Delaying just pushes us further behind for a longer amount of time. And I am fairly confident he has cancelled rather than delayed because his whole approach seems to be 'if my predecessor planned it I am not doing it'. 

If this is genuinely the way that you feel then your anger should be directed at NSWE for being **** owners and allowing this to happen unchecked.  It would be absolutely unforgiveable for any owner of any business to allow any employee to behave like that.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, El-Reacho said:

He says it currently resembles a council leisure centre.

It was the journalist who said this, they said Heck cringed at it and it was “friendly”.

Interestingly he didn’t seem to moan about FFP and felt that sanctions against those that breach it should be aggressive. 

Made me smile that he went to Villanova University in the US.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, El-Reacho said:

He also says the days of bigger clubs coming and taking our best players are gone. 

“They can try all they want,” says Heck, firmly. “But maybe we’ll try to buy one of their players. I think this idea that we’re here for the taking is dated. And we need to move on from that.”

Heck in.

From the interview, I think this is the key thing to understand about Heck:

https://www.expressandstar.com/sport/football/aston-villa/2024/01/14/aston-villa-not-there-for-the-taking-as-chris-heck-makes-worldwide-claim/

"When I started here, this was a very proficient and well-run group. But it was focused, at least in my opinion, on the Midlands. We are now focused on the world."

As fans of the team, we tend to think almost entirely about the fans in the stadium and (sadly) from a revenue perspective, that's not the big producer of revenues.

We think of this as a sport or a game that we play at the weekends, a good day out, see your mates, support the lads and hope for a win - and it is, but nowadays, much more importantly, it's a TV show.

Vila Park is scenery - and thirty million people in Palookaville don't care if you had to queue for a burger, you queued for a train, or you struggled to get a ticket. The club will make more money developing it's international instagram following than developing the North Stand - it'll make more money penetrating the Indonesian football market than it will from making sure that eight thousand more Brummies can get in to watch - we're backdrop, we're extras - that's how it is. There's a reason Man City aren't too fussed about empty seats - those aren't the fans that make them most money.

Heck is looking to develop this brand globally and you and I, the folks that sit at Villa Park and watch games, we're increasingly a very, very small part of that. He's not focused on the Midlands, on us, he's focused on the world and that means America, the Far East, North Africa, South America and anywhere else he can potentially find ten million Villa fans that will spend twenty quid a year on us - that's how we grow.

It's not that he doesn't care about us, it's that we're really not that important.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, OutByEaster? said:

From the interview, I think this is the key thing to understand about Heck:

https://www.expressandstar.com/sport/football/aston-villa/2024/01/14/aston-villa-not-there-for-the-taking-as-chris-heck-makes-worldwide-claim/

As fans of the team, we tend to think almost entirely about the fans in the stadium and (sadly) from a revenue perspective, that's not the big producer of revenues.

We think of this as a sport or a game that we play at the weekends, a good day out, see your mates, support the lads and hope for a win - and it is, but nowadays, much more importantly, it's a TV show.

Vila Park is scenery - and thirty million people in Palookaville don't care if you had to queue for a burger, you queued for a train, or you struggled to get a ticket. The club will make more money developing it's international instagram following than developing the North Stand - it'll make more money penetrating the Indonesian football market than it will from making sure that eight thousand more Brummies can get in to watch - we're backdrop, we're extras - that's how it is. There's a reason Man City aren't too fussed about empty seats - those aren't the fans that make them most money.

Heck is looking to develop this brand globally and you and I, the folks that sit at Villa Park and watch games, we're increasingly a very, very small part of that. He's not focused on the Midlands, on us, he's focused on the world and that means America, the Far East, North Africa, South America and anywhere else he can potentially find ten million Villa fans that will spend twenty quid a year on us - that's how we grow.

It's not that he doesn't care about us, it's that we're really not that important.

And if we want to compete at the top, we need to think that way.

• Like 1

Just now, Dodgyknees said:

And if we want to compete at the top, we need to think that way.

Sad but true - if he gets it right, all that money will mean that the football we do get to watch will be better. It's a strange circle.

• Thanks 1

30 minutes ago, WallisFrizz said:

It was the journalist who said this, they said Heck cringed at it and it was “friendly”.

Interestingly he didn’t seem to moan about FFP and felt that sanctions against those that breach it should be aggressive. 

Made me smile that he went to Villanova University in the US.

Does this mean we need a "This Is Villa Park" sign? 

7 minutes ago, OutByEaster? said:

Oh and if I can just run one line through the translator:

The tunnel isn't fit for purpose = It doesn't make any money.

Expect to see the restaurant with one way mirrors adjacent to the tunnel shortly then. 

Edited by sidcow

3 minutes ago, sidcow said:

Does this mean we need a "This Is Villa Park" sign? 

At the 76'ers they have a high five tunnel - where you get to high five the players as they run out onto the court.

They charge $6,000 a game for it.

Man City and Spurs have their tunnel clubs, both sell for four digit prices on a game by game basis.

It's really simple, if Heck doesn't like a thing it's because it doesn't make money.

1 hour ago, Don_Simon said:

Sorry mate, I was attempting to be rhetorical with the previous poster. Absolutely NSWE played pivotal roles in all decisions being made, it's ludicrous to praise them for all positives and absolve them of any criticism for negatives.

Ah yes. Missed the question mark 😂

Â