Mateu Alemany

PieFacE

1 minute ago, CVByrne said:

I don't think anyone planned for the news he was joining us to break. Makes it impossible for him to fulfil his work at Barca up until end of the Summer as the Barca statement said. So this could be an acceptance that to do what he promised he needs to stay at Barca and then review things after summer. I don't know why but it's possible we see him at Villa but just next season now

I was reading something on Sports Witness, that have some quotes from Marca. Marca have claimed there’s a disagreement between us and Alemany/Barca. Maybe we want him to work right away whereas he/Barca want him to see out this summer? Which would back up what you are saying

1 minute ago, duke313 said:

Sounds like he hasn't decided yet, maybe he's got a last minute offer from Barca.  

The whole he will complete Barca's summer business seemed impossible with news he was joining Villa. So only way for that to be possible is if he doesn't join Villa and completes the work at Barca this summer. It's possible this was discussed in Birmingham and for it to be effective it needs to be believed he is staying at Barca

Most hadn't heard of him until he was linked to us and still more probably don't know what his role with us would actually be, so not sure how anyone can be overly upset that he's turned us down, I'm sure whatever he does there are others good at it too, just like Pochettino turned us down but we got Emery instead.

It's probably a good thing anyway as shows he wasn't properly comitted in the first place, better he change his mind now rather than get appointed and then not really want to be at the club.

Was concerend about the suggested Mendes links anyway, signing the odd Mendes' player is okay, but wouldn't want to become one of his clubs that are overly reliant on him and ends up taking a lot of his average players and eventually having to sell his better ones for much less than their worth.

• Like 1

Just now, useless said:

Most hadn't heard of him until he was linked to us and still more probably don't know what his role with us would actually be, so not sure how anyone can be overly upset that he's turned us down, I'm sure whatever he does there are others good at it too, just like Pochettino turned us down but we got Emery instead.

It's probably a good thing anyway as shows he wasn't properly comitted in the first place, better he change his mind now rather than get appointed and then not really want to be at the club.

Was concerend about the suggested Mendes links anyway, signing the odd Mendes' player is okay, but wouldn't want to become one of his clubs that are overly reliant on him and ends up taking a lot of his average players and eventually having to sell his better ones for much less than their worth.

That's all good until Emery gets annoyed and leaves.

• Confused 1

Just now, Rustibrooks said:

I was reading something on Sports Witness, that have some quotes from Marca. Marca have claimed there’s a disagreement between us and Alemany/Barca. Maybe we want him to work right away whereas he/Barca want him to see out this summer? Which would back up what you are saying

All I know is it's 100% impossible for him to do his work at Barca this summer while joining us in the middle of the summer transfer window. 

So either we wanted him released early and that's what caused the 180 as he was committed to completing this summer with Barca or we agreed to him completing the Summer with Barca and so he should stay with them and join us next season not this. 

The whole situation undermines both our summer and Barcas the way it was supposed to be, where he worked for them and then us in the same window. Was just odd and made no sense.

• Like 2

Just now, CVByrne said:

All I know is it's 100% impossible for him to do his work at Barca this summer while joining us in the middle of the summer transfer window. 

So either we wanted him released early and that's what caused the 180 as he was committed to completing this summer with Barca or we agreed to him completing the Summer with Barca and so he should stay with them and join us next season not this. 

The whole situation undermines both our summer and Barcas the way it was supposed to be, where he worked for them and then us in the same window. Was just odd and made no sense.

This makes the most sense.  We wanted him to commit this summer, he couldn't, so he's staying.

1 minute ago, duke313 said:

This makes the most sense.  We wanted him to commit this summer, he couldn't, so he's staying.

If he was really staying he'd extend his contract beyond next summer though. There were 3 possibilities

1. He leaves Barca and joins us within immediate effect basically.

2. He stays at Barca completes their summer business and then leaves

3. He is committed to the Barca project and signs an extension 

• Like 1

Odd given that Barca said their goodbyes. He wasn’t going to start until July anyways. It’s all just very odd. Unai woudlnt comment on it either if it wasn’t done. 

Edited by The_Steve
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, CVByrne said:

If he was really staying he'd extend his contract beyond next summer though. There were 3 possibilities

1. He leaves Barca and joins us within immediate effect basically.

2. He stays at Barca completes their summer business and then leaves

3. He is committed to the Barca project and signs an extension 

I can’t see him working alongside Deco in the long term. He either leaves in the summer or in 12 months. But yes, it doesn’t massively change our trajectory. I’m sure they would have planned for it. The situation might well change again. 

I trust the club to find someone who's going to suit us just as well as Alemany would have. Imagine saying that during the Lerner or Xia days. We've come a long way. 

As for Alemany choosing to live in Barcelona over Birmingham. Don't blame him one bit. (I grew up in Kingstanding) 

FC Barcelona | Laporta acepta la decisión de Mateu Alemany (sport.es)

Joan Laporta has given the go-ahead for Mateu Alemany to continue as FC Barcelona's director of football. Although both the manager and the Barça club had indicated in a statement that they were breaking relations at the end of the season, Alemany has decided to change his mind and continue working on the Barça project for the next campaign.

The Barça president has welcomed Mateu Alemany's decision to remain the club's director of football and that is why the official confirmation that Mateu 'stays' definitively is very close.

The Mallorcan executive seemed to have everything done to leave for Aston Villa, where they were waiting for him with their eyes open to start a winning project with Unai Emery. It was taken for granted that he would go to Birmingham, but Mateu has decided to change his mind and continue in a project that is not yet finished.

Now we will have to see how the organization chart is with the permanence of Mateu Alemany and the departure of Jordi Cruyff. Deco aims to be a new strong man in Barça's technical secretariat.

16 minutes ago, duke313 said:

Why would Emery leave us because a Director of Football done a 180 and decided to stay where he's at?

Worst case: Emery wants a strong DoF coming in. Other names have been mentioned earlier. If no-one comes this summer, UE could theoretically get impatient.

I did think it was strange that the announcement was taking so long. It’s disappointing as it felt like an appointment that Emery wanted and it’s left us with egg on our face a bit. But hopefully any transfer plans can progress without him and we will get a suitable alternative. 

Â