Summer Transfer Window 2023

maqroll

1 minute ago, Kiwivillan said:

A replacement for Emi? Back up keepers are the likes of Begovic, Olsen or young GK not primo GKs happy to rot on the bench 

Eh? 🤣 Who said we’re replacing Emi?

Can’t seriously expect him to play 95%+ of games, Olsen will cost us dearly if he plays in important games, knockout games etc. we will drop points and games because of him if he doesn’t improve and overcome nerves and anxiety - it spreads through the team too…

A backup keeper would not rot on the bench here either, would get plenty of game time in cups and ECL. Keeping players fit and fresh is a major boon…

A couple of names on there that would accept a 2nd choice spot, an eventual successor to Emi could be brought in too (not sure we see Sinisalo and Marschall in that light). There are better options than Olsen and Begovic out there…

4 minutes ago, Mazrim said:

I think Emery will want a RB who can defend and support the attack. Not as aggressive as Moreno maybe but certainly not an auxillary centre half, rather a versatile mobile intelligent player. And I don't think Konsa can play right back except in emergencies.

I think Traore will be off to be honest. Philogene will feature more. I love Bertie's outrageous moments and will be sad to see him go, but he just doesn't keep it up for a whole game, when fit. Aaron Ramsey will be knocking on the door soon too. I still wouldn't be surprised to see another winger / striker come in. I think we'll move between formations more this coming season.

I'd love to see Coutinho show what he can do too but his lack of mobility may be the end of him in the PL so may well be off. Olsen is just shite. Sanson already leaving. So there's 4 of the 5 outs. Hause, Wesley, Davies... there should be a fair bit of room for more incomings.

Pretty good assessment of the RB situation.  I'm sure Emery and Monchi have someone in mind. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, striker said:

Not sure if a purchased second striker would get splinters in his arse with all the games Villa have to play? I honestly feel Villa are still a little short in quality depth.

Remember how Spam played in the Premiership last season with a dearth of quality depth. 

Villa will still need more if they are serious about doing well in Europe, cups and league?

A decent 2nd keeper, RB and striker is a must along with an alternative DM if Dendoncker leaves.

We finished were we did vs Wham because our squad is better. They've got core players that were good several seasons ago and haven't replaced. Football teams are cyclical. Wouldn't be shocked if Liverpool regress next season unless new signings pay off 

24 minutes ago, HKP90 said:

So is Archer officially back in the fold now?

Not really, we’ll have to see what happens during these friendlies and if he can impress Unai enough…

He has a chance though…

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Jas10 said:

Eh? 🤣 Who said we’re replacing Emi?

Can’t seriously expect him to play 95%+ of games, Olsen will cost us dearly if he plays in important games, knockout games etc. we will drop points and games because of him if he doesn’t improve and overcome nerves and anxiety - it spreads through the team too…

A backup keeper would not rot on the bench here either, would get plenty of game time in cups and ECL. Keeping players fit and fresh is a major boon…

A couple of names on there that would accept a 2nd choice spot, an eventual successor to Emi could be brought in too (not sure we see Sinisalo and Marschall in that light). There are better options than Olsen and Begovic out there…

You're really setting yourself up for disappointment come end of transfer window

You're really setting yourself up for disappointment come end of transfer window

You’re ott man… I don’t wanna get into all this again with you.

Calling people obsessed, moany etc. it’s very exaggerated.

Most of us are happy with where we are at and excited about the new season…

but… there is absolutely nothing wrong with wanting to improve and add more/better players… it’s how you progress and achieve more…

all we’re doing here is thinking aloud basically, we don’t control anything, it’s just opinion.

You don’t have to come down hard on other people’s opinions and blow things out of proportion, especially if you want your opinion to be heard too… I’ve never understood why you get so annoyed.

Don’t need to be so reactive dude…

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Kiwivillan said:

I’ve already said I’m enthused about the season and happy with the Diaby signing. I’m sure many feel the same way, we practically adore Unai and have full faith in him. And we rate and respect many of our players.

Any more business would feel like “cherries on top” but… what’s wrong with thinking of and theorising about where we could improve further? Whether or not it happens…

For me (and many others) Olsen is a liability and harms us more than he helps us, if we could replace him with someone more reliable, it would be of great benefit to us.

But Unai knows better than any single one of us and we’ll be happy with what he’s decided when we kick off the new season…

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, gwi1890 said:

I’m sure we’ll buy RB but people tend to think plonking a CB at RB = defensive RB but it doesn’t work that way in a Unai Emery team we need a player that technically sound with the ball at his feet and able to play himself out of dangerous positions/situations we tend to build predominantly from the right also , people always mention Foyth at Villarreal but ignore the fact that he was rotated heavily. 

I agree with you, this is essential for all positions - even GK. Which adds to the argument that we need to replace Olsen.

10 minutes ago, Jas10 said:

You’re ott man… I don’t wanna get into all this again with you.

Calling people obsessed, moany etc. it’s very exaggerated.

Most of us are happy with where we are at and excited about the new season…

but… there is absolutely nothing wrong with wanting to improve and add more/better players… it’s how you progress and achieve more…

all we’re doing here is thinking aloud basically, we don’t control anything, it’s just opinion.

You don’t have to come down hard on other people’s opinions and blow things out of proportion, especially if you want your opinion to be heard too… I’ve never understood why you get so annoyed.

Don’t need to be so reactive dude…

Some people wanted Mcginn and Luiz gone not long ago. I'm a pragmatist about how transfers work. So many I want new things posters until the players come and don't work out then they the new bomb squad. Spare me

Edited by Kiwivillan

Would it surprise anyone to see Sebastian Revan be our RB cover, he's played either side in preseason and not looked out of place.

Thought he looked solid against Newcastle on his favoured left side. Looks very good defensively.

He is left footed, but not sure how much of an impact that would be if he's not asked to go forward.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, VillaCon said:

Would it surprise anyone to see Sebastian Revan be our RB cover, he's played either side in preseason and not looked out of place.

Thought he looked solid against Newcastle on his favoured left side. Looks very good defensively.

He is left footed, but not sure how much of an impact that would be if he's not asked to go forward.

No if top 4 really is our aim we need better.

Cash should be our RB cover.

People wanted Mcginn and Luiz gone. I'm a pragmatist about how transfers work. So many I want new things posters until they come and don't work out then they the new boo boys. Spare me

Ok. I don’t think I can explain my side any further/better to you…

spare me?

the best way to do that is to take a break from this thread rather than keep pissing in peoples cornflakes 🤣

There are some things that I agree with you on, quite often actually, but I think you’re too strong and harsh in your approach with others.

Just let people have their say.

6 minutes ago, VillaCon said:

I think Konsa will be RB cover for Cash

Though I did hear Tim I was being looked at for that role this pre season but got injured?

3 minutes ago, bobzy said:

I used to quite enjoy transfer windows, but they're so exhausting now :D

Do people genuinely require constant speculation?

It was a novelty when it was first introduced, I remember deadline day being so exciting. But since then, it just drives me mad. That said, I do think the idea of a transfer window still works in modern football and not having that speculation all year round is nice for a change.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, bobzy said:

I love transfer windows for the constant speculation…

Do I need constant speculation? No.  

Do I enjoy it? Most definitely!

Do I need or want loads of change? No, in fact probably the opposite

Do I get a thrill when we sign a difference maker like P.Torres or Diaby? Yes

Do I like debating on here? Yes, from the buzz of learning new information on players, debating pros and cons, even a good argument now and then and enjoy more when discussing a player we all like.

It fills the football gap of when Villa aren’t playing competitive footy.

Edited by nick76
  • Like 4

9 minutes ago, Hank Scorpio said:

I think Konsa will be RB cover for Cash

Though I did hear Tim I was being looked at for that role this pre season but got injured?

Cover really isn't ideal, we need to either upgrade on Cash, or someone who will push him for starts.

• Like 3

20 minutes ago, Jas10 said:

Ok. I don’t think I can explain my side any further/better to you…

spare me?

the best way to do that is to take a break from this thread rather than keep pissing in peoples cornflakes 🤣

There are some things that I agree with you on, quite often actually, but I think you’re too strong and harsh in your approach with others.

Just let people have their say.

Just fed up with the hysterical bashing of Olsen. If Emi parries that ball to Wilson nothing is said. If he's really that bad Emery will replace before the windows end and everyone's happy

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

17 minutes ago, bobzy said:

Not constant, but I'd like to see links to the areas we need to strengthen in - namely RB and back-up GK.