Summer Transfer Window 2023

maqroll

27 minutes ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

I actually thought Daka was " electric " before he moved to Leicester and bemoaned missing out.

Yeah different players but names very close so was worth a mention.

I'm not 100% certain but as far as I remember both Daka and Iheanacho actually have quite good minutes to goals ratios, but have largely been playing understudy to a rapidly-aging Vardy. Obviously he's still ultimately been a let down but it'll be interesting to see how he'd get on with being the main man be it at Leicester or elsewhere.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Tayls said:

But the tricky thing is getting people to come here which we ‘appear’ to be having issues with… if the stuff we have seen and read is true. So are we going to end up with third and fourth choices? How good is that going to be for us should that be the case? 
Obviously you can’t answer properly, but working off hypotheticals… 

Honestly mate, we have no clue. Zip, zero, zilch.

All we and anyone else can do is speculate, theorise and we always end up getting invested in that.

We have zero insight into the workings of the club. We have no idea whether we are able to attract payers or not etc etc.

All I can really say is… look… look who we managed to attract to the club… Unai Emery. One of the best managers out there, seriously, he is that. We can call that a major achievement if we want.

And now, we’ve managed to attract another high level football personality, one of the most highly rated and sought after sporting directors (or whatever title is more apt) in Monchi. Like Unai, his reputation (and experience and expertise) precedes him.

Take those as two huge positives, for a start.

If we could attract them to the club, why not top class players?

Ok, we may miss out ok priority targets or those at the very top of those lists but, at least we tried. There’s a hell of a lot players and alternatives out there and it’s the job of people like Unai and Monchi (and those working for them) to identify them and ensure that they fit the profile and can contribute effectively. Missing out on a few doesn’t mean we won’t bring anyone good in…

Maybe some people don’t realise where we are at… how far we have come…

I don’t have the time to get into it all now but I’m sure most will know…

We have had a shitty recent history for a club of our stature and reputation, some really crap appointments and signings.

That all started to change from when NSWE took over… we had a major mare with the last managerial appointment… a proper clueless, egotistical and inept fool… but that has been more than rectified and we are on a major upward trajectory under Unai. Just look at the transformation and what he managed to achieve in such a short space of time.

It’s only going to get better and we are continuing to strengthen ourselves (at least off the pitch, on the pitch is next).

With all these genuine reasons and evidence of positivity and progress I see zero reason to have any fear, anxiety, negativity or pessimism.

Let’s just enjoy the ride and BE PATIENT!

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Delphinho123 said:

That Doku is electric. Surely he goes to a big club at some point?

I’ve been a fan since I saw him at the euros. 
He hasn’t kicked on much and no way does he fit in out current system.

4231 or 433 then maybe 

Just listened to a Villa pod with a British bloke who seems to either be based in Spain, or just knows a lot about it.

Says he's watched Bilbao the whole season and Nico Williams is an extremely frustrating player.

Either glorious or terrible, and notes that at the money quoted he thinks we should stay clear. Doesn't reckon we would have the patience for him.

Also mentioned what I've seen some mention about Pau Torres. Brilliant " ball playing " CB, but not really the physically engaging type or combative in the air. Not as good as Ming's etc 

Now don't get me wrong, if we are actually interested in these players, you reckon Emery has a plan for them. One which would compliment our current contingent, as opposed to " replace ".

However, those multiple opinions do make me apprehensive.

Edited by JAMAICAN-VILLAN
  • Thanks 1

50 minutes ago, MotoMkali said:

Actually insane 99th percentile in so many stats. Nearly 6 shots created per 90, 6.6 take ons per 90

Screenshot_2023-06-17-22-38-07-51_40deb401b9ffe8e1df2f1cc5ba480b12.jpg

Yes he is very good at everything except the end product.

if he ever managed that he would be one of the greats 

1 minute ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

Just listened to a Villa pod with a British bloke who seems to either be based in Spain, or just knows a lot about it.

Says he's watched Bilbao the whole season and Nico Williams is an extremely frustrating player.

Either glorious or terrible, and notes that at the money quoted he thinks we should stay clear.

Also mentioned what I've seen some mention about Pau Torres. Brilliant " ball playing " CB, but not really the physically engaging type or combative in the air. Not as good as Ming's etc 

Now don't get me wrong, if we are actually interested in these players, you reckon Emery has a lan for them. However, those multiple opinions do make me apprehensive.

Not keen on Williams at all, I would t touch him for 50m and 7m a year in wages either.

tbh I wouldn’t really be interested at 30m

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

Either glorious or terrible, and notes that at the money quoted he thinks we should stay clear. Doesn't reckon we would have the patience for him.

Now don't get me wrong, if we are actually interested in these players, you reckon Emery has a plan for them. One which would compliment our current contingent, as opposed to " replace ".

These people, journalists or even “experts” on these podcasts… it’s mainly just their opinions.

None of them have the skill, nous, experience and expertise of anyone employed at a high level at our club.

If we’re going to trust anyone’s opinions and judgement, there’s no one better than Unai backed up by Monchi.

Whoever they see fit to come into and improve our side, will be more than suitable and at the very least effective. Unai hasn’t spent much at all yet and the indications are that he won’t bring in anyone unless they enhance us (he has actually commented along these lines in press conferences a couple of times).

The guy has worked at the top level of football for so long, he has a huge amount of knowledge and expertise and I’m sure his judgement of players will match up to that… Again, I’m convinced that the allure of joining our club was the greater freedom, control and resources he can take advantage of here… he’s going to make the most of this opportunity and (as he has said) he’s not here to waste time…

Trust in Unai, there’s nothing to be worried about. We’re all just a bit too impatient 🤣

Good things come to those who wait…

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

22 minutes ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

Pau Torres has been playing in Europe, including CL, for quite some time now and also for Spain. He’s highly rated, has a good reputation and was more than good enough for Unai at Villareal.

Do we really believe he’s not as good as Mings?

Kind of laughable when it’s looked at like that right?

Let’s not give too much credence to these guys chatting on podcasts…

• Like 2

1 hour ago, HeyAnty said:

I really hope not.  If he wasn’t English nobody would be wanting him

Do you mean fans? I don’t think I’ve ever met anyone who thinks “I love player X but I’d prefer them if they were English” or “we should sign this slightly worse player because he is.” I personally like Barnes and I have no interest in England or Englishness. However, you might be talking about home-grown or similar for squad quotas which would make more sense. 

2 minutes ago, Jas10 said:

Pau Torres has been playing in Europe, including CL, for quite some time now and also for Spain. He’s highly rated, has a good reputation and was more than good enough for Unai at Villareal.

I guess the thing with something like this is we know Mings is 7/10 or 8/10 as a PL player, whatever number you want to put on it. Torres might be 9/10 but he might struggle to adapt and be 5/10. See Diego Forlan - clearly a phenomenal player and achieved great things on multiple stages, but in the PL never up to the standard of, say, Ollie Watkins (different eras obviously). There are very few bankers - but obviously we will need to gamble in some places to improve.

6 minutes ago, Jas10 said:

CB and GK usually the least rotated position in a team. We're not spending big money to rotate Mings and Torres.

I already posted about this podcast episode and give more credence to someone that follows La Liga as a career than most VT posters with transfer fever

Edited by Kiwivillan

Just now, Adam2003 said:

Do you mean fans? I don’t think I’ve ever met anyone who thinks “I love player X but I’d prefer them if they were English” or “we should sign this slightly worse player because he is.” I personally like Barnes and I have no interest in England or Englishness. However, you might be talking about home-grown or similar for squad quotas which would make more sense. 

No im talking about English.  Imo from a non-English person, villa fans seem to have alot more patience for English players bar non English.  McGinn for eg.  And I totally get that.  I don’t like Barnes based on money it will take.  Lot better out there for money 

Just now, HeyAnty said:

No im talking about English.  Imo from a non-English person, villa fans seem to have alot more patience for English players bar non English.  McGinn for eg.  And I totally get that.  I don’t like Barnes based on money it will take.  Lot better out there for money 

Hearty disagree.

It's all performance. All the time.

An academy kid, irrespective of nationality, would probably get a bit more patience than others. That's about it.

McGinn is bad example. The man's universally loved and had his first bit of stick after about 3 years, following 9 months of bad performances. 

3 minutes ago, Kiwivillan said:

CB and GK usually the least rotated position in a team. We're not spending big money to rotate Mings and Torres

I didn’t say we were 🤣

Was just replying to JV and trying to allay any fears.

My message or view is simple, trust in Unai.

If he wants and rates a player, I trust him more than myself or anyone else’s opinion.

4 minutes ago, HeyAnty said:

Whaaaat?

6 minutes ago, Adam2003 said:

I guess the thing with something like this is we know Mings is 7/10 or 8/10 as a PL player, whatever number you want to put on it. Torres might be 9/10 but he might struggle to adapt and be 5/10. See Diego Forlan - clearly a phenomenal player and achieved great things on multiple stages, but in the PL never up to the standard of, say, Ollie Watkins (different eras obviously). There are very few bankers - but obviously we will need to gamble in some places to improve.

That’s fair but again, if Unai believes he can get a player in to improve us and to settle here, he’s the best judge of that and has more capacity and capability (as well as responsibility) than absolutely anyone. He knows what he’s doing and who is most likely to integrate well (not saying any risk is eliminated, that’s always there and no one can fully predict the future, but he’s the best judge. There’s never a guarantee but we’ve got the right man to manage such situations and make those calls).

He’s only made one proper signing, look at the impact Moreno had and how quickly he settled.

So, going on that evidence, we’ll be making some superb and successful signings… hopefully 🤣

• Like 1