Summer Transfer Window 2023

maqroll

Ive gone on record saying i want tammy back but even i would take vlahovic ovee him any day

He is a top striker a real hand fulm and a great finisher.  As good as ollie is vlahovics finishing is next level

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Delphinho123 said:

I find it interesting just how many times I hear players like Vlahovic and Torres wouldn’t sign for Villa because they want CL football. Now, granted, that might well be the case but we’re fast moving toward an era whereby the Premier League is effectively the Champions League / Super League, whatever you want to call it. 

Outside of England, you’ve got a few top clubs, Bayern, Barca, Napoli, Real etc. but  how much exposure do Real get when they play any team but Barcelona? None. Who watches Bayern when they’re playing any team other than Dortmund? Who’s watching Roma Udinese outside of Italy? Go to India and see how many people are watching Brentford against West Ham. The PL is everywhere and it’s being turned into a franchise sport. Each league is becoming a feeder league to the PL. Portugal being the best example. 

The CL. How good is it playing for a team that might get to play Real or Man City and lose? You play what, 10-12 games against good sides if you do reasonably well? 
Now compare that to playing for Villa. 40k+ every week. Games being streamed all around the world. You play 6 of the best clubs in the world twice and you can be paid pretty much just as much as you can playing for somebody like a Milan or a Juve. 

If the PL continues on its current trajectory, you’ll see more and more top players joining teams like Villa who perhaps would have only joined clubs in the CL in years gone by. 

That’s my opinion anyway. 

Why then, are PL teams desperate to finish in top 4? If CL meant nothing and was diminishing, then Liverpool will probably be delighted with their 5th place finish.

Its also different PL teams poaching players from other leagues in Europe, but it’s less likely they do that with players like Vlahovic and Torres as they are already at elite teams.

56 minutes ago, duke313 said:

Why then, are PL teams desperate to finish in top 4? If CL meant nothing and was diminishing, then Liverpool will probably be delighted with their 5th place finish.

Its also different PL teams poaching players from other leagues in Europe, but it’s less likely they do that with players like Vlahovic and Torres as they are already at elite teams.

Because PL + CL is as good as it gets. PL teams makes up 6 of top 10 team with the highest revenue, 11 out of top 20 and 16 out of top 30.  Spain have 5 in the top 30, Germany and Italy have 3 each in the top 30.

Many PL teams makes more money without CL football, than CL teams from other leagues. This means players could be tempted by PL clubs, even if they aren’t in CL.

We are now a top half PL team, that means we can sign players very few teams outside PL can compete for.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, viivvaa66 said:

Because PL + CL is as good as it gets. PL teams makes up 6 of top 10 team with the highest revenue, 11 out of top 20 and 16 out of top 30.  Spain have 5 in the top 30, Germany and Italy have 3 each in the top 30.

Many PL teams makes more money without CL football, than CL teams from other leagues. This means players could be tempted by PL clubs, even if they aren’t in CL.

We are now a top half PL team, that means we can sign players very few teams outside PL can compete for.

Podcasts have explained this is why the DOF is happening. Is it official yet?

5 minutes ago, viivvaa66 said:

Exactly. 

Also, is there really that much of a pull playing in the CL for a team in Italy? Would you not rather play against the ‘big 6’ in this country 12 times a year? Those 12 fixtures dwarf, in terms of audience and exposure, playing a few fixtures in the CL against some duff outfit from Greece and Turkey and occasionally Madrid. 

Im not saying players will join us over CL teams. I just don’t think the CL is the pull it was 10 years ago, given the rise and exposure of the PL. I think more and more players will value playing in a mid table side in the PL on the same money as a side in the CL. 

I spend a lot of time in India and China with work, and when I’m not educating the locals about how poor Buendia has been, I’m usually in bars and the PL is always on. It has an audience of billions. I doubt anybody watches Hoffenheim against Shalke outside of Germany. 

19 hours ago, skarroki said:

Exactly my point, cough up enough money for a player not in prem or champions League and you can get real talent 

This whole "I want to play in the Champions League" is just code for "I want more money and the big teams in the big leagues who play in the Champions League will pay it".

If it was about just being in Europe they'd go play in Belgium or at least go to Marseille.

Footballers are like everyone else. Make more money. Especially as their earning potential is very time limited. 

We are seeing this truth play out with the PL and players joining bottom half teams instead of Ateltico Madrid or AC Milan

• Like 2

Honestly can't see any near future where we'll be able to land Vlahovic but staying in Italy I'd still think that we'd be able to pull off a deal for Rasmus Höjlund at Atalanta. Obviously he's currently not at the level of Vlahovic but he's only 20 and it feels like he has huge potential. 

Way more of a gamble but also way more realistic and probably cost about half of what Vlahovic would.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

46 minutes ago, CVByrne said:

This whole "I want to play in the Champions League" is just code for "I want more money and the big teams in the big leagues who play in the Champions League will pay it".

If it was about just being in Europe they'd go play in Belgium or at least go to Marseille.

Footballers are like everyone else. Make more money. Especially as their earning potential is very time limited. 

We are seeing this truth play out with the PL and players joining bottom half teams instead of Ateltico Madrid or AC Milan

Right, but we’re talking about two players who already play CL football AND are also on massive money already.

50 minutes ago, Delphinho123 said:

Exactly. 

Also, is there really that much of a pull playing in the CL for a team in Italy? Would you not rather play against the ‘big 6’ in this country 12 times a year? Those 12 fixtures dwarf, in terms of audience and exposure, playing a few fixtures in the CL against some duff outfit from Greece and Turkey and occasionally Madrid. 

Im not saying players will join us over CL teams. I just don’t think the CL is the pull it was 10 years ago, given the rise and exposure of the PL. I think more and more players will value playing in a mid table side in the PL on the same money as a side in the CL. 

I spend a lot of time in India and China with work, and when I’m not educating the locals about how poor Buendia has been, I’m usually in bars and the PL is always on. It has an audience of billions. I doubt anybody watches Hoffenheim against Shalke outside of Germany. 

There is an Italian team guaranteed to be in the CL final, so I would say yes?

30 minutes ago, sne said:

Honestly can't see any near future where we'll be able to land Vlahovic but staying in Italy I'd still think that we'd be able to pull off a deal for Rasmus Höjlund at Atalanta. Obviously he's currently not at the level of Vlahovic but he's only 20 and it feels like he has huge potential. 

Way more of a gamble but also way more realistic and probably cost about half of what Vlahovic would.

He's the guy for me. #1.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Tomaszk said:

He's the guy for me. #1.

Would also open up a world of pun possibilities if we signed the great Dane. Would be mastiff.

• Haha 2

30 minutes ago, duke313 said:

Right, but we’re talking about two players who already play CL football AND are also on massive money already.

Exactly, why would they join us? Only reason would be for more money.

4 minutes ago, CVByrne said:

Exactly, why would they join us? Only reason would be for more money.

And the canals. They don't have those in Italy.

• Haha 1

11 hours ago, maqroll said:

Bringing Ings into the team rattled Ollie and he struggled for consistent form from the day we signed Ings to the day we sold him. Being the main man seems to have worked a charm for Ollie. Signing another big name striker with a big personality could be problematic. I mean, if we did sign Vlahovic, I'd be pretty excited but worried about Ollie falling off again. 

I wouldn't, he wouldn't be playing number 9 anymore.