Summer Transfer Window 2023

maqroll

Just now, HKP90 said:

I think Ollie has earned the right to be the main man, but we do badly need cover.

13 minutes ago, Adam2003 said:

Most people seem to agree the weak point in our common starting 11 is Bailey in that role ‘off Watkins’ - we need someone who excels in that role but can also play as the lead striker if needed so it covers Watkins without competing. But those players are hard to find and rarely cheap.

Felix would have been perfect for that. We need someone like him, but possibly a bit cheaper. Kamada? I think he's more of a CAM, but could work?

• Like 1

I think loads of our current players CAN play in the positions we’ve collectively identified. Konsa can play as the hybrid RB/CB, McGinn can play as the more advance RM. 

The question is, are they taking us to the next level? The answer would be no.

We need players that are next level or at least have the potential to become next level, pushing Konsa, McGinn, Bailey, Buendia to the bench. 

That’s how we’ll push up the league, smart investment and squad management, constantly improving on our overall squad quality and depth.

12 hours ago, burchy said:

Lots of talent in the Netherlands, question marks about whether they can hit the same heights in the Premier League though, look at Gakpo at Liverpool. 

If we’re not already we should be looking at the likes of Simons, Bakayoko, Kudus, Veerman, Kerkez, Brobbey, Geertruida, Timber,  Kokcu….the list goes on. 

you should be a scout.

• Haha 1

11 minutes ago, The_Steve said:

We badly need a right back with technical attributes and some pace. It’s very clear that neither Cash nor Konsa are currently good enough and get easily done by anyone with pace. I think competition would be good for Cash, I just don’t think he’s consistently good enough to start. 

Konsa dribbled past twice all season. Second in the whole league behind Dias at City.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

20 minutes ago, Adam2003 said:

Most people seem to agree the weak point in our common starting 11 is Bailey in that role ‘off Watkins’ - we need someone who excels in that role but can also play as the lead striker if needed so it covers Watkins without competing. But those players are hard to find and rarely cheap.

Mohammed Kudus G/A per position this year in the league

959357C4-5190-4900-AF4E-31EDAB5472FF.jpeg.54510680666e35c4d475ae8417ec849f.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Just now, Tomaszk said:

Konsa dribbled past twice all season. Second in the whole league behind Dias at City.

I see this stat a lot re. Konsa. Really impressive tbh. 

Do we think Konsa has reached his full potential as a defender? I think he's been excellent since Emery has come in and whilst Mings, McGinn and Watkins take most of the plaudits in terms of improvement, Konsa has gone under the radar and gone about his business commendably. 

I love the fact that Carlos needs to be f****** excellent to get in ahead of him. Top teams have players fighting for the shirt. We need to get to that point and I think Konsa knows he has competition which has perhaps pushed him to be better (which he has been). 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Delphinho123 said:

I see this stat a lot re. Konsa. Really impressive tbh. 

Do we think Konsa has reached his full potential as a defender? I think he's been excellent since Emery has come in and whilst Mings, McGinn and Watkins take most of the plaudits in terms of improvement, Konsa has gone under the radar and gone about his business commendably. 

I love the fact that Carlos needs to be f****** excellent to get in ahead of him. Top teams have players fighting for the shirt. We need to get to that point and I think Konsa knows he has competition which has perhaps pushed him to be better (which he has been). 

One of the reasons I like the thought of Konsa as RB is it gets another player decent in the air on the pitch.

With two 10s, two strikers, Moreno at LB and one of our holding midfielders being Luiz or McGinn, we're up against it defending set pieces.

Watkins is fortunately excellent at that front post, but it's still a help to have some real CBs in the side.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, duke313 said:

He could be the hybrid 9/10 Emery is after.  And is only 22.

Absolutely 

1 minute ago, duke313 said:

Bailey + £££, get it done.

I don't think Bailey would agree to go to that league. Could be a great move for his career though.

9 minutes ago, Tomaszk said:

Absolutely 

I don't think Bailey would agree to go to that league. Could be a great move for his career though.

He’d be playing CL football if he went to someone like Ajax (his dad would be happy 😆 )

11 minutes ago, Tomaszk said:

One of the reasons I like the thought of Konsa as RB is it gets another player decent in the air on the pitch.

With two 10s, two strikers, Moreno at LB and one of our holding midfielders being Luiz or McGinn, we're up against it defending set pieces.

Watkins is fortunately excellent at that front post, but it's still a help to have some real CBs in the side.

Sounds weird but it depends what we do with Bailey. If we get a winger, a naturally wide player I'm with you. If we go more for an inside forward/CAM hybrid, then I worry about attacking width on that side. Konsa would be great defensively but we would need someone who can step up and cross.

12 minutes ago, Tomaszk said:

Absolutely 

He'd tear up the Dutch league.

14 minutes ago, Tomaszk said:

Absolutely 

I could swear Bailey was linked with Ajax in the summer?  Or did I imagine that?

5 minutes ago, HKP90 said:

Sounds weird but it depends what we do with Bailey. If we get a winger, a naturally wide player I'm with you. If we go more for an inside forward/CAM hybrid, then I worry about attacking width on that side. Konsa would be great defensively but we would need someone who can step up and cross.

Just realised Guendouzi might fit in nicely with that. 

1 hour ago, Delphinho123 said:

I agree with this. I'm actually of the opinion that Buendia can only play as the 10 in a team that wants to challenge for Europe/consistently be top half. He doesn't have the pace or strength to excel in a midfield position in my opinion (I'm aware he's played there this season a lot). Bailey too, needs to be playing out wide, I just think he's miles off it ability wise so we're going to need to upgrade on him regardless. I've said it for a while, but if we can get top quality players in to replace Buendia and Bailey in the starting line up, we're going to have some team. That's not to say Buendia won't play his part, I just know we need better in order to get where we want to be. 

I think we upgrade on both and both move more to the bench.

A CF who drops deep from forward line a skill we see Kane do to perfection. That's what we need as an option need up top. Someone who can score goals and create. 

We also need a wide player who can operate up top or off the right of Midfield with real pace. With space made by the CF dropping deep the winger can attack.

This is space created by one player for another. What does the CB do with the CF dropping deep, if he follows him he leave the space. If he doesn't then the back line is exposed to through balls he can play.

You add in the Guendouzi type player who is like McGinn but right footed so can operate off left or left CM and is versatile and athletic. 

That's the trip needed 

12 minutes ago, HKP90 said:

I get your point, yep.

I think there's a higher majority of games where the RB will be hanging back. It's not that often they've been released by Emery.

I think there's more upside to a new good centre half than a right back. Interested to see where Emery prioritises.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Tomaszk said:

I get your point, yep.

I think there's a higher majority of games where the RB will be hanging back. It's not that often they've been released by Emery.

I think there's more upside to a new good centre half than a right back. Interested to see where Emery prioritises.

Indeed, and I am aware that UE is not averse to an asymmetric system. Konsa, Guendouzi and a tucked in 9/10 on one side, with Moreno and a traditional winger on the other could work.

1 hour ago, Tomaszk said:

Really think a RB is a waste of time.

All the characteristics we're after, Konsa has. No reason he can't play there as back-up/competition for Cash.

Money better spent on a CB to compliment Mings and Carlos...and Konsa.

The way I see the RB is as RCB and with skill with long passing. So a player who can move up into midfield when we're attacking