League Two

robby b

There's a Championship thread and a non-league thread (and maybe a League 1 thread too, can't remember now) but there's something that's been massively missing... er... from our lives? ... A League Two thread on Villa Talk! 🤩

(Well, the other day I trawled through pages 1 to 7 of Other Football threads but couldn't find one. Anyway, now there is one!) 🥳

I follow League Two a lot because my 2nd favourite team's Wimbledon, I grew up going to watch them now and then at the original Plough Lane. This included the early days of that Crazy Gang (how lucky I was to witness their incredibly beautiful and skillful Brazilian-like tiki-taka football).

I suppose some of you also have a League Two team that you follow and that you're fond of, maybe Walsall. 

Just now, rjw63 said:

Certainly not Walsall. 

Or anybody else either. 

Ooh. 😕

Oh go on Che, I can see you as a follower of, er, Harrogate Town or Colchester United maybe. 🤔 

(Secondary to your Aston Villa primary allegiance, of course!) :s

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, robby b said:

Ooh. 😕

Oh go on Che, I can see you as a follower of, er, Harrogate Town or Colchester United maybe. 🤔 

(Secondary to your Aston Villa primary allegiance, of course!) :s

Che follows Villa.

And clunge

And clunge's next door neighbour.

In no particular order

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, YLN said:

Che follows Villa.

And clunge

And clunge's next door neighbour.

In no particular order

Indeed. 

I have no interest in any other team except Villa, apart from the huge enjoyment when they lose. 

8 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

Ill follow league two if wrexham go up. After watching the welcome to wrexham show ive developed a soft sport for them 

spacer.png

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Demitri_C said:

Ill follow league two if wrexham go up. After watching the welcome to wrexham show ive developed a soft sport for them 

That's good Dem! : >  I'll be happy for them to go up too, partly because of my mum's Welsh nationality. And i think they will, in 2nd place, (as Notts County are running away with it), they seem to be really strong this season. But not at the expense of my Woking, please! :s (My third team!) 🤪

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Demitri_C said:

the team with the richest owners and most financial connections in the league. Its like supporting City

We have Cazoo as sponsor and they have TikTok

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Zatman said:

the team with the richest owners and most financial connections in the league. Its like supporting City

We have Cazoo as sponsor and they have TikTok

Harsh. Have you even watched the show? Its incredible what both are doing for the local community there

Its absolutely nowhere near like city

1 hour ago, Demitri_C said:

Harsh. Have you even watched the show? Its incredible what both are doing for the local community there

Its absolutely nowhere near like city

They are 5th division team who got an Amazon documentary. That will probably pay most of the yearly budget. Its nice for Wrexham fans since have had a shitty time but its not some fairytale

City ownership have done a lot for the local community as well in Manchester

37 minutes ago, Zatman said:

They are 5th division team who got an Amazon documentary. That will probably pay most of the yearly budget. Its nice for Wrexham fans since have had a shitty time but its not some fairytale

City ownership have done a lot for the local community as well in Manchester

Yes but wrexham were close to going under before they were saved. Not sure why they should be criticised for saving the club and heloing the local community.

They should be applauded for what they have done at the club

Yes but wrexham were close to going under before they were saved. Not sure why they should be criticised for saving the club and heloing the local community.

They've done well to galvanise the club, but it's fair for rival teams to feel frustrated. They are getting unbelievable competitive advantage due to who their owners are and the global coverage this has brought. The top scorer for the league above them dropped down to play for them, he should have gone up to the Championship or so. They have 6 of the top 10 highest paid players in the league all funded by deals with Amazon or TikTok who their rivals couldn't dream of signing. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Rds1983 said:

They've done well to galvanise the club, but it's fair for rival teams to feel frustrated. They are getting unbelievable competitive advantage due to who their owners are and the global coverage this has brought. The top scorer for the league above them dropped down to play for them, he should have gone up to the Championship or so. They have 6 of the top 10 highest paid players in the league all funded by deals with Amazon or TikTok who their rivals couldn't dream of signing. 

But they still havent managed to go up. I think its their 3rd season under these owners. 

Its one of the hardest leagues to get out of  as only one team goes up automatically 

5 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

But they still havent managed to go up. I think its their 3rd season under these owners. 

Its one of the hardest leagues to get out of  as only one team goes up automatically 

I'm not denying that it's a challenging league.

It's a great story made all the more so by fantastic marketing. It's why I have American friends who want to see them play and buy a shirt. They wouldn't have any interest in watching someone like Crewe, Exeter or someone though who play at a higher level.

There's a reason they get compared to clubs like City or Chelsea. It's financial doping and dodging FFP all down to their owners. That isn't necessarily a bad thing (I wish we could spend more) but rival clubs are understandably frustrated by it.

Nobody is criticising them for saving the club and helping the community. But then they've gone and effectively let them play on cheat mode.

They're not breaking any rules, but it's absolutely grotesque that a small non-league club is sponsored by an international tech giant and getting this level of exposure to international fans. They're not Man City, because they don't have the wealth, but it's not a million miles away. It's the only way to succeed at the top, but I think it's pretty disgusting to see it infecting the lower levels as well. Nothing too new though, they're just the new Rushden & Diamonds. I hope they have about as much success.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Tegis said:

2 day thread, 1 page. Already an argument. Never change VT :D

Crewe Alexandra, mostly because the old Premier Manager game on the Amiga.

Bigger club then Wrexham but even people from Crewe would rather watch Stoke and that's saying something. 

• Haha 1

Â